Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood flooring

• 01-05-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello folks.

I have a T&G floor in a bungalow which I want to cover . Beneath this floor (about two feet down) is earth .

Can I put a wood floor on top of the original floor.

If this can be done do you know how and would it be expensive .
    Floor size is 12' x 12'.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

What type of flooring do you propose to lay on top of existing t+g flooring?.
    Is the space below the floor ventilated ie:airbricks?.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Projectx

Tks

Maybe using birch or oak laminate.

There is an air vent on an outside wall which is under floor level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Saw some birch laminate for sale at local hardware for about 7 euro/Mtr. You will need 16Mtrs plus a bit more for wastage{10%], so at that price it will cost about E70. You will also need underlay -I would go for the thickest one you can get away with seeing as you've got no insulation under existing floor even if its the same price as the flooring. I would also put down some plastic sheeting [before the underlay] to stop any moisture from the void rising up into the laminate. As the laminate will stop slighly short of the skirting boards,you will to fix mouldings [quadrant] to hide this gap.You might have to fix down new or raise the hieght of any door threshholds.Put a ruler down on existing t+g to check if they are not cupped-if they are,then flatten them with sander epecially if you want to run the new boards in the same direction as the old ones.
    I'm guestimating that it will cost around E300........any pro floorers out there with maybe more accurate estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Projectx

Thank you for info.

Advertisement