Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry

• 01-05-2012 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I want to sit higher chemistry next June. I did not to it for my original lc. I will do it externally. What books are ye using or recommend? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Chemistry Live by Declan Kennedy is the one we use. Fairly good. A bit detailed but he also has the Rapid Revision which is basically all I use once I'd covered the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

I'm using Chemistry Live too. It can be a bit long winded but the Rapid Revision book that accompanies it is really useful for revision and the experiments. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Cheers guys. Fairly straight forward to study alone ya

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

You might want a little help for the Organic section, as that's a little hard to grasp without it being explained in person. But other than that it's a pretty straight forward course, and it's short enough too. Just make sure to learn all of the experiments really well as they can make up nearly 40% of your exam. :)

Good luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

shinesun wrote: »
    Cheers guys. Fairly straight forward to study alone ya

It is apart from organic chemistry, equilibrium and maybe stoichiometry.

Bear in mind though that it's the most horrendous, life-ruining subject ever.
    In my opinion of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Anything better than biology!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 inkapinka

Would not recoment Cmesistry Live, I like edco book...but we use chemistry live, it is actually old and have some bits of information missed. do not concetrate on material that need to be known/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

I wouldn't recommend Chemistry Live either. It's old, unattractive and long winded. Much of the info is irrelevant and hard to follow. I'd recommend the edco book. It's more clear, colourful, to the point and relevant to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Chemistry Live has served me fine and I actually find the other book a bit long winded. It also contains some info not relevant to the course so it's not like Live is the only book at fault. Overall I'm not sure why I'm defending a Chemistry book but I use it and you can do very well using it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 inkapinka

Chemistry Live is OK if you are doing stuff with teacher and has a good teacher who would tell you which information is important which is not and would give extra material that is nessesary. But Edco one is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

hey is chemistry a good choice for lc??

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Yes.
    It's a beautiful subject in my opinion, I get great job satisfaction from doing a chemistry question and I find it's one of the easier subjects to study as the current chemistry exam is around 12 or 13 years old so there are tons of questions to take a stab at.
    It also opens up courses relating to medicine and it would be considered hard to pick up in college if you didn't do it at LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Chemistry is a great subject, both to teach & to study.

At LC level, it can be tough if you don't "get" some of the conceptual topics but it s hugely rewarding, logical & straight forward subject.

I use the Edco book for giving homework to my students and they use it as a reference.

I give my students all my notes/powerpoints in advance on Edmodo & they just take a few key points/spider diagrams down in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

If you're thinking of doing anything science-related in college, chemistry will make it all a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd hijack this one.:pac:

I am thinking to attempt HL chemistry as an external candidate for 2021 LC.

I would appreciate if the following could be answered please:

1) Is there enough time to cover the whole syllabuss over the course of the school year?

2) I am Cork based so, where/how would I go about finding a suitable teacher/can someone reccomend me a teacher whose competent, easy to understand & charges reasonable rates?

Any other bits advice would be great!

Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's definitely doable in a year if you have the time for it. It depends on your workload, really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to let your school's Examinations Secretary know of your intentions.

spurious wrote: »
    Make sure to let your school's Examinations Secretary know of your intentions.

Thanks for the reply Spurious.

Do I pick the school I want to do the exam in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Spurious.

Do I pick the school I want to do the exam in?

When you register as an external candidate I think you can indicate where you want to sit the exam. It's usually worthwhile contacting that school beforehand as a courtesy to ask about sitting the exam there. The SEC will assign you a centre anyway if you were refused in a local school.

Considering all that is happening at the moment, it would certainly be a courtesy to let a principal know you would like to sit the exam.

You should also read the guidelines for the 2021 exams as extra choices are being created on all LC papers. I think in Chemistry this year you have a free choice of any 8 questions on the paper.

Usually you have to do a minimum of 2 questions from Section A and the remainder from B. Section A is all experiments.

When you register as an external candidate I think you can indicate where you want to sit the exam. It's usually worthwhile contacting that school beforehand as a courtesy to ask about sitting the exam there. The SEC will assign you a centre anyway if you were refused in a local school.

Considering all that is happening at the moment, it would certainly be a courtesy to let a principal know you would like to sit the exam.

You should also read the guidelines for the 2021 exams as extra choices are being created on all LC papers. I think in Chemistry this year you have a free choice of any 8 questions on the paper.

Usually you have to do a minimum of 2 questions from Section A and the remainder from B. Section A is all experiments.

Thanks for that Rainbow. Sound advice there.

Can you recommend where I can get grinds like some online tutoring for example or one to one,

I am Cork based and would be starting from scratch.

Thanks again. ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Thanks for that Rainbow. Sound advice there.

Can you recommend where I can get grinds like some online tutoring for example or one to one,

I am Cork based and would be starting from scratch.

Thanks again. ☺

I can't to be honest, I'm in the north west so wouldn't be familiar with what is on offer in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Luna73

Hi - I did LC Chemistry as an external this year and with grinds in Hewitt College. Delighted with my H1 - the teacher there is fantastic. PM me Memanrio and I will give you her mobile. Also I will give you all my books/notes if you want. I don't need them anymore!!

Advertisement