Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad (Dalystown)

Options
  • 01-05-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about this: I sometimes use the N52 around this area, and last time I was there a couple of months ago, the only sign that anything was being done in the area was the replacement of speed limits 100km (which was too fast) to 50km (which is too slow IMO). There are also some metal barriers which I think are new.

Any updates on this scheme? Is there going to be real road straightening etc?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭roadmaster

They where very slow to get goin but over the last while jons have really pulled the finger out and got alot of muck shifting done.but i dont think they have started on the bridge yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Yep.

This is now under construction. Earthworks the entire length done; the section is entirely off-line to the existing road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Yep.

This is now under construction. Earthworks the entire length done; the section is entirely off-line to the existing road.
    I found it very hard to determine when exactly this started construction (for the purposes of updating my roads site). Emails to the contractor went unanswered! Anyone got a more specific date?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

I took this road last night: The new road veers off the old one at the boundary between the good road and the crappy section.
    About here:
    http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.465097,-7.358651&spn=0.000013,0.013937&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.465209,-7.358601&panoid=9liIer8VTZZ5jTfAcsfL8A&cbp=12,189.4,,0,7.62

And veers towards the left (East)

Below the junction with the Kilbeggan Road, the new road will cross the existing N52 once, before the new road ends at this point:

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.423523,-7.388241&spn=0.000026,0.027874&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.423701,-7.388225&panoid=FFL4JrjkP4Mwd5TZbLB2EQ&cbp=12,178.38,,0,11.43

and continue along the existing road for 250M which I think is going to be widened, until it gets to the next 'good' section which you can see from there.

• Advertisement

heres a basic map of the scheme off the CPO advertisment
    http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/database/downloads/Confirmation%20Advertisement%20Large%20Ad.%20N52%20Carrick%20Bridge%20with%20Drawing.pdf

What isnt so obvious on the map is how bad the old road is.
    I travelled it last week and it really is a narrow bendy hilly road that has never seen an upgrade of any sort since the motor car was invented.
    Well, the worst part of it here is anyhow where theres just about enough space for 2 trucks to pass and the current 50kmh limit isnt actually much out from what you can do on it safely anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Passed through here yesterday evening. A lot of progress on it now. They have filling down along the bits I could see and seemed to be putting the first few loads of fine stone down on the visible section where it starts on the Mullingar end. End of year possible I'd say if they get a bit of reasonable weather.

That said a lot of this is ofline so maybe they are not as advanced in the other areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I remember driving the 'old' N52 from Kilbeggan to Mullingar. I think the route changed from Dalystown-Kilbeggan to Dalystown-Tyrellspass only around 1994.

A horrible goat track that was....and of course half of that road is still there from Dalystown to Kilbeggan.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I remember driving the 'old' N52 from Kilbeggan to Mullingar. I think the route changed from Dalystown-Kilbeggan to Dalystown-Tyrellspass only around 1994.

A horrible goat track that was....and of course half of that road is still there from Dalystown to Kilbeggan.

I still go that way. I was on it yesterday. I'll be upgrading to the other route once these new works are done.

Yeah, I use the old Mullingar-Kilbeggan road a lot myself. More direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I don't think it's that bad apart from that really narrow bridge. As Rroads go, it's not too bad. It's shorter distancewise. Though I would use the N52 now with the m6 and bypass of Kilbeggan.
    The parts they are realigning now are/were equally as bad if not worse imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

This road is now closed. I travelled to mullingar on saturday and had to endure a major detour up the old road. Is there a easier way around this?

Jack breen wrote: »
    This road is now closed. I travelled to mullingar on saturday and had to endure a major detour up the old road. Is there a easier way around this?
    If its closed then thats a GOOD thing as it means that they are doing some major work on the sections where the old and new road meet.

This is due for completion in December so now at the end of the second week of November you would be expecting (if not hoping) to see such works.

There was the same type of major diversions on the N55 just after the Fleadh in the summer for a week and when finished the new section of realignment was open to the public.

No pain no gain as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/scheme.asp?schemeId=8

Posted on: 6 Nov 2012

We shall be closing the N52 between Carrick Bridge and Clonfad (South of Belvedere to North of Tyrrellspass) from Monday 5th November until Monday 3rd December inclusive, this is to enable completion of construction to the new N52 road alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

And it's still shut :(

I could be very wrong but i heard this road is fully opening today cam anyone confirm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ring Varadkars office and ask where he is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Open now according to this bit in the Indo. See down towards the bottom.

Great to see a scheme like this get done...a few hundred million around the country would do wonders improving and widening on even smaller stretches like this, especially on National Secondaries and removing bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

mfitzy wrote: »
    Great to see a scheme like this get done...a few hundred million around the country would do wonders improving and widening on even smaller stretches like this, especially on National Secondaries and removing bends.
    Opened. Was on it last night. Its a great job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Open now according to this bit in the Indo. See down towards the bottom.

The whole mainline is open? - If so, that was pretty quick!

Id say the way jons are gettin the projects done on good time for wcc they be odds on for the garycastle bridge in athlone

Looking forward to trying this road. Is it an offline realignment or development of the old narrow bendy route with lotsa houses?
    High standard road all the way between Mullingar and Tullamore now.
    As I said, schemes like this will make a huge difference to road safety and driving times for fairly low cost. Hopefully see a few more like this on the horizon soon.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying this road. Is it an offline realignment or development of the old narrow bendy route with lotsa houses?
    High standard road all the way between Mullingar and Tullamore now.
    As I said, schemes like this will make a huge difference to road safety and driving times for fairly low cost. Hopefully see a few more like this on the horizon soon.
    Yes.
    The has for some time been a good "new" standard of road from Mullingar to Carrick Bridge. At that point the road narrowed and became super-twisty. That continued for several miles to a point where the N52 turned off the road! and the "main" road continued as a local road to Kilbeggan, this having been the historical Mullingar-Kilbeggan (and points South) road.
    The bad twisty road then continued another couple of km to a point where new roads had been built as part of the N6 dual carriageway (now motorway) project.

This rebuild puts a new road in that gap.

Was out that way a few days ago, and I am impressed by the new build. I also got some pix :)

First 2 pictures are of the tie-in to the pre-existing road at the Southern end near Tyrellspass.

Next, a few pictures from the Dalystown Junction area.

Notes: The L1127 to Rochfortbridge appears to have been extensively modified.
    The L1122 (Ballynagore road) is being rerouted over the old junction. At first glance this doesn't make sense, but if it is the intention to make the L1122 the main road to the new junction, the realignment pictured is logical. It too has been/is to be extensively realigned to fit a staggered crossroads junction setup with the new N52. The sign from the old Dalystown junction to Mullingar has been blanked out, as it is no long the road to Mullingar :D

(Dial up warning for all pics so far)

Between Dalystown and the Southern end:

Finally, pictures from/around a local road that had to be rebuilt as an overbridge to the old road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

SeanW wrote: »
    Finally, pictures from/around a local road that had to be rebuilt as an overbridge to the old road.
    Surprised they bothered with a grade-separation there. Hardly seems necessary, but nice all the same!
    If only the whole N52 was this standard...

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Surprised they bothered with a grade-separation there. Hardly seems necessary, but nice all the same!
    If only the whole N52 was this standard...

Have they closed off a few crossing and directed them all via this new grade separated crossing? I remember passing during construction and a few roads seemed to be getting cutoff. Basic Map of the new layout in post #7 above doesnt show what access they are terminating and what they are leaving open but I imagine from it they are all open except perhaps where the old N52 veers off.

Advertisement