Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad (Dalystown)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, there are multiple links from the old road to the new one. As for the local road in my last post, it's bridged over the new road to the old road, where from there a local resident etc. would use one of the links to the new road, to get to Mullingar/Tyrellspass.

I don't think the local road in my last pictures would be suitable for a local trunk as you outlined in your last post, because was not - and the parts that remain are not - suitable for two way traffic. As I was driving across that bridge, there's a "road narrows" sign. I did not go beyond the new section of it, but as to the part of the old road I was most familiar with, I found that a section of it (having been disconnected) was literally just wide enough to park the car. No more.

While I don't have detailed memories of junctions with local roads to the East (the other side from the old N52), it was my general feeling that there was no aversion to at grade junctions in general, albeit there was a serious aversion to allowing crossroads junctions, as the Ballinagore/Rochfortbridge junction showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Anyone able to show on google maps the exact area this covers. Considering using it as part of "ye old cheapskate" route Athlone to Belfast, avoiding tolls

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone able to show on google maps the exact area this covers. Considering using it as part of "ye old cheapskate" route Athlone to Belfast, avoiding tolls
    Here

Nothing "ye old cheapskate" about it as the N52 is the signed route from Tyrellspass to Ardee (signs still say Dundalk). Tyrellspass-Mullingar is now of a very high standard throughout, I haven't been up that way but I'm fairly sure it's not so good North of Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With the exception of two short schemes just north of Mullingar, the road reverts back to crap (but with obvious fenced land for improvements) pretty much the way to Kells; and from Kells to Ardee (albeit with some corner smoothing and similar done in the last two years).

Its only Mullingar->Birr and maybe Borrisokane-Nenagh that is of a consistant standard now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MYOB wrote: »
    With the exception of two short schemes just north of Mullingar, the road reverts back to crap (but with obvious fenced land for improvements) pretty much the way to Kells; and from Kells to Ardee (albeit with some corner smoothing and similar done in the last two years).

Its only Mullingar->Birr and maybe Borrisokane-Nenagh that is of a consistant standard now.
    Yea, was checking this recently and summarised the N52 needed improvements:
    Birr bypass
    Borrisokane bypass
    Ardee bypass
    Mullingar-Kells (new stretch)
    Kells-Ardee (new stretch)

could someone with access to OpenStreetMap update the N52 section there? It's still showing the old road.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

With this scheme completed, the middle section of the N52 - from Birr to Mullingar - is finally of an acceptable standard.

Now, I think the NRA should detrunk the appalling sections of N52 between Borrisokane and Birr and Ardee and Dundalk - and get cracking on upgrading as much of the Mullingar to Ardee section as soon as possible including a Delvin bypass and a new roundabout N51/N52 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

could someone with access to OpenStreetMap update the N52 section there? It's still showing the old road.

The problem is that it does not seem to have been given a regional road number, or even an L number. So it is hard to change it to a reasonable class. It may not be ideal as a trunk road, but may still form a useful regional route of decent standard for Co Louth traffic.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    The problem is that it does not seem to have been given a regional road number, or even an L number. So it is hard to change it to a reasonable class. It may not be ideal as a trunk road, but may still form a useful regional route of decent standard for Co Louth traffic.
    I'm referring to the old Carrick Bridge-Dalystown section. OSM still shows it (rather than the new build) as the N52.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

SeanW wrote: »

Everybody has access to OpenStreetMap. It's easy to set up an account and start editing. I think a problem with this new road is that there aren't any GPS traces showing where it is and how it's laid out - yet. If anybody can upload a trace there are plenty of regular OSM contributors on here and elsewhere who can add the road. It's too new to show up on the aerial imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a trace if one is still needed. Wouldn't contribute enough to justify learning how to upload it..

Can you stick it online somewhere, or PM it to me? I'll take care of it from there, if you want.

Uploading / editing is fairly simple, if you want to do it yourself. There's a fairly comprehensive Beginners Guide here.

Thanks to MYOB I've added the new part of the N52 to OpenStreetMap. There is still some tidying up of tie-ins etc to be done, but you can see it here: http://osm.org/go/es3f_8Z

Drove this over the weekend. Grand job, I noticed the old road alongside once or twice. I drove the old road back in Nov 2011, it was a goat track.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cheerylemon

Anyone going to jump start this thread again?

We could just use it as a base for how bad the rest of the N52 is 😆

Advertisement