Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway VEC

Options
  • 01-05-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Are they amalgamating? Also, why do they exist? I do NOT get how they've 60 staff sitting behind the Cathedral, doing what?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They process all third level grant applications for one.

No way they have 60 in that office, its not that big.
    Same size with less traffic than the FAS centre below and they have no more than 20 in there.
    Was in there as recent as last year and if they have 60 staff they're packed like sardines in a backroom.

Maybe its 60 for the City?..... There are VEC staff in VTOS as well on Merchants Road etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

VTOS as well on Merchants Road etc..

Waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I am positive they have 60 there. Are they still amalgamating?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Amalgamation was recommended a while back, haven't heard the outcome of the cat-fight.

Maybe it's 60 people, but considerably fewer FTEs? Part timers etc?

The city one runs lots of stuff - from their website:

Coláiste na Coiribe
    Galway Adult Basic Education Service
    Galway Community College
    Galway Technical Institute
    Sandy Road Training Centre
    VTOS
    Youthreach

So that 60 people could be spread around all over the place.

No national schools in Galway city yet, but I believe that the plan is for the VEC to grow this capability so give some options for patronage different from the catholic church (over-providing relative to it's current population proportions) and Educate Together (another private organisation, with a particular ethos that suits some communities better than others).

Re

VTOS and
    surime wrote: »
    Waste of money

It might have been a waste for you, but you might not realise just how badly educated some parts of the Irish population are. The last PISA results found approx 17% of 15 year-olds-are illiterate, and the number is higher among older people. VTOS has its role ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Haven't they got offices above Calbro too?

They only have around 60 full time teachers ( and a lot of contractors and temps) 60 back office staff seems a tad high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

JustMary wrote: »
    17% of 15 year-olds-are illiterate, and the number is higher among older people. VTOS has its role ...

Don't young people have to go to schools in ireland? I thought everywhere in europe parents are obliged to send their kids to school. How you can skip school without learning how to read and write? I am just curious..
    By saying vtos is waste of money, I mean, it wont help people to get jobs unfortunately. It provides jobs for tutors and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

surime wrote: »
    Don't young people have to go to schools in ireland? I thought everywhere in europe parents are obliged to send their kids to school. How you can skip school without learning how to read and write? I am just curious..
    By saying vtos is waste of money, I mean, it wont help people to get jobs unfortunately. It provides jobs for tutors and thats it.
    Offering people who have otherwise missed out on education another opportunity would greatly enhance their otherwise limited opportunities for employment.

They process all third level grant applications for one.
    That is going - it is being replaced by a website studentfinance.ie which will be administered by the city of Dublin VEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I am positive they have 60 there. Are they still amalgamating?
    And I'm positive they don't! :D

Haven't been in those offices for a couple of years, but there were about 15 there then, including a couple of half-timers, and they were pretty squashed as it was. And that included an NCVA (now FETAC) Regional Support Officer who was based there, and at least one other specific project which wasn't part of the VEC budget per se. Those offices are actually smaller than the FAS ones below, due to the design of the building.

As to the amalgamation, I would assume it will happen ... it's actually one of the more obvious ones in the various plans which have been issued for rationalisation of the VECs over the years, and while every time there's a new variant of those plans issued the various councillors etc. on the two committees splutter and spit with indignation, I think everyone knows that in reality it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that those two (at least) will be put together as part of any re-jig.

There are much trickier decisions in other parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You sure? Don't they have a place down Merchants Rd, Sandy Rd and Eglington street. Not counting the county VEC..

It's got to be more than 15. In my old job we were requested to do some work for them, it didn't go ahead for some reason unbeknownst to me but they made it seem like there was more there than 15.

I wonder if the guy running Sandy Road is still up to his old tricks...

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You sure? Don't they have a place down Merchants Rd, Sandy Rd and Eglington street. Not counting the county VEC..

It's got to be more than 15. In my old job we were requested to do some work for them, it didn't go ahead for some reason unbeknownst to me but they made it seem like there was more there than 15.
    We're not talking about overall staff, wompa, that would include teachers etc. in Moneenageisha Community College and Galway Technical Institute, in the Adult Ed scheme, VTOS, YR, the TTCs, the Adult Guidance Service, etc. etc. ... must be much more than 60 in all, though many would be part-time.

The question was raised re: staff in the HQ, see quote below:
    Are they amalgamating? Also, why do they exist? I do NOT get how they've 60 staff sitting behind the Cathedral, doing what?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

We're not talking about overall staff, wompa, that would include teachers etc. in Moneenageisha Community College and Galway Technical Institute, in the Adult Ed scheme, VTOS, YR, the TTCs, the Adult Guidance Service, etc. etc. ... must be much more than 60 in all, though many would be part-time.

The question was raised re: staff in the HQ, see quote below:

Oops sorry. Not a hope in hell 60 fit in that office space...whether they are claiming 60 work there or not is another thing though..wouldn't f'kin suprise me to be honest!

It would surprise me a great deal! :)

Wires crossed I think, I meant in their offices in town. There are 4 offices, behind the Cathedral, Merchants Rd, Sandy Rd and Eglington street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

City and County VEC should be amalgamated, which would lead to some admin savings.

The political input into their decisions should be reduced. Are Councillors still involved in decisions to appoint teachers?.

I recall a time when teachers had to call around to councillors to canvass for appontments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So you were wrong OP. :)

Often am!

Advertisement