Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No gym in UCD

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sonate

hi guys, is there a gym in smurfit?? thank u all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

sonate wrote: »
    hi guys, is there a gym in smurfit?? thank u all!

No there's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

WeeBushy wrote: »
    No Smith machine, thankfully, and no calve machines I've seen (although I haven't looked at the various machines that closely) but there are certainly things with which you can do calf exercises.
    Cheers for that. Well a Smyth machine is good for two things imo, behind the back shrugs and vertical leg press, besides that it is pretty much useless alrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Any pictures of the gym area? Can only find stuff on the new pool...

A question about the gym fees... I have seen it posted that we need to pay x amount in a general UCD registration fee and then €100 for access to the pool for the year.

Is the UCD reg fee included in my total fees? I am doing a post grad computer science course... Or is it an additional fee that I will need to pay in September?

Finally, is the old sports center going to stay open? Specifically the squash courts and climbing walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

DRose1 wrote: »
    Any pictures of the gym area? Can only find stuff on the new pool...

A question about the gym fees... I have seen it posted that we need to pay x amount in a general UCD registration fee and then €100 for access to the pool for the year.

Is the UCD reg fee included in my total fees? I am doing a post grad computer science course... Or is it an additional fee that I will need to pay in September?

Finally, is the old sports center going to stay open? Specifically the squash courts and climbing walls?

Sports centre is staying open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You usually pay it in one sum along with your fees. But on the invoice breakdown it'll be a separate charge.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Sports centre is staying open.

What is the area where to old crunch fitness gym was going to be used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

What is the area where to old crunch fitness gym was going to be used for?

Different types of classes that use to be held in the halls I have been lead to believe eg pilates and that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Can anyone tell me the public swim times and costs? Have to say its poor form to have so little info on the sports website

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Can anyone tell me the public swim times and costs? Have to say its poor form to have so little info on the sports website

If your asking when can the general public (non members) go in and swim pay as you go well the answer is that they can't. Same applies for the gym I believe. If this isn't your question I'm sorry.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

It's €4 for a swim. And as far as I can see you can just walk in at any time and go for a swim. Though I'm not sure if that's going to go on from September.

Ruski wrote: »
    It's €4 for a swim. And as far as I can see you can just walk in at any time and go for a swim. Though I'm not sure if that's going to go on from September.

The general public can't do that, they have to pay for full membership if they want to use the pool. Only students can payg. That's what they said when I asked, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Yep what WeeBushy said. I went in with a non member and he couldn't pay as you go for himself for either pool or gym. I could as a member bring him into the gym for 20 euro, not sure if this was going to cover a swim too but I doubt it would. We didn't take them up on it...

To those of you who have seen the gym does anyone else think that it's not going to be big enough when term starts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

magnavox wrote: »
    Yep what WeeBushy said. I went in with a non member and he couldn't pay as you go for himself for either pool or gym. I could as a member bring him into the gym for 20 euro, not sure if this was going to cover a swim too but I doubt it would. We didn't take them up on it...

To those of you who have seen the gym does anyone else think that it's not going to be big enough when term starts?!

There's enough cardio machines available I'd say but nowhere near a sufficient weights area. 2 cages for a gym serving 24,000 people isn't anywhere near enough. Likewise for the benches.

Is their additional space to expand/improve the weights area?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Has anyone seen a class timetable? I can't seem to find one online but maybe the classes will start in September :confused:

Victoria. wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a class timetable? I can't seem to find one online but maybe the classes will start in September :confused:

Here ya go: http://www.ucd.ie/sport/fitnessclasses/

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Anybody have any idea yet what times are busy/quiet?

Anybody have any idea yet what times are busy/quiet?

Only time I've been is between 9 and 1 and its never been busy. It will all change in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Only time I've been is between 9 and 1 and its never been busy. It will all change in September.

Deadly, thanks. I only want to use it until September so that suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

errlloyd wrote: »
    Its not a gym levy, its a building levy.

Your use of everything.

Pharmacy
    Shop
    Theatre
    Cinema
    Debate Chamber
    Dance Studio
    Pillates Studio
    24 hour study room
    Belfield FM studio
    Major Society offices
    Gym
    Pool
    Cafe
    Meeting Rooms
    Forum Bar (Likely our only bar on campus)
    Newspapers

All of that is included in the Levy, because of all that **** is in the new building. If you're gonna be a hardcore academic, you'll get 200 worth out of the 24 hour study zone alone, but to be honest there is something for everyone in there, and I am incredibly proud of it. I was showing it off to trinity mates today and they were jealous.

The building is incredible, I am so disappointed I only have a year left to enjoy it.

Where is this 24 hour study room? I can't seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Where is this 24 hour study room? I can't seem to find it

Ah yeah... Was wondering when this would crop up.

The room is the one nearest the gym reception, it is currently being used as the registration room for gym inductions. But if you look at it you realise it is externally accessible and has a ucard locked doorway, like student res. So when the rest of the building is locked it can be opened.

BUT: Despite the fact it is there, and despite the fact it seemingly requires no college funding to operate, it was apparently axed in the budget cut that saw the library closed on Sundays. It will be back in the month before exams though.

Advertisement