Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for Blessington Anglers

Options
  • 01-05-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭

Lads - have you ever seen water levels on the Lake as high as they are currently?? I certainly haven't!!. In recent days levels are so high large fish are being washed into small ponds at the edge of the lake!!:(

Is there a problem at the dam in Poulaphuca?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

From one extreme to the other. A couple of months ago it was the lowest I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

TBH I wouldn't worry to much, they'll open the dam when its needed.

Hows the pike doing up there, they on the feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

i was only up there about 10 days ago and the levels were very low, only inches instead of feet near kilbride

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I hope this may give the pike a chance to spawn successfully. For a few years levels have been so low at spawning time there have been no weedy areas for the pike to spawn. This is possibly one reason for the poor level of pike stocks there

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

Maybe the high levels is for that reason ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

Yeah it's pretty high at the moment but it has been a good bit higher in the past.
    We have had so much rain in the past week the level has risen very quickly.
    The ESB would prefer if it was lower and will most likely start letting water through the dam as soon as they can. I would think the lower Liffey levels are high particularly around Strawberry beds so they can't let too much flow through and risk flooding.
    This morning the lake is like glass with a clear blue sky.
    I have a few boats on swinging moorings and they are full of rain water so its a good test for the bouyancy tanks.
    I hope it does help the Pike but I don't think it will stay as high for too long.
    Anyone with boats at Russlestown should go and check on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

why would the esb like the lake to be lower

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

natdog wrote: »
    why would the esb like the lake to be lower
    Many reasons. Less pressure on the dam. Less erosion of the banks, therefore less turbidity. The capacity to hold water in the event of more heavy rainfall, thereby allowing the control of floodwater downstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

Went up late this evening for an hours fishing, delighted to see the levels up.
    I was a little sickened last week to find them so low after buying another permit, now all i need is to catch something

Advertisement