Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone watch "Supergarden" on RTE at 7pm??

Options
  • 01-05-2012 8:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Yer woman just got ripped to bits by the Supergarden judging panel for her garden design and how it actually turned out.

The finished garden was bland and not that child friendly either (it was suposed to be a child friendly garden and attract wildlife into it,and with a big wow factor to it).

She then stuck an apple tree that will grow to over 16 feet tall,right beside the house and used tons of gravel to hide alot of imperfections too..

The 3 judges slated her for the finished article.

Ouch indeed.:pac::pac:

I think its safe to say that you wont be seeing that garden at Bloom this year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

i think they would be better giving them a talk with a contruction advisor and a little less of mary, nothing against mary but just maybe it would be more benificail, just a though, like i know she was is hospital and best of health to her,but the project manager only bringing in digger after a week!! patio looked well but did it take 4weeks to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes,I was watching that and agreed with the judges about the gravel stepping stones - both the silly fussy shape and the fact that they were gravel. Also the willow beds would not be practical, weeds would grow out of the sides of them in no time. And it would be a horrible job to replace the willow when it rots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think the guy (benny) on the other night was the best...his surrounding wall was magnificent..and the olympic rings was clever with it being olympic year and all...but not too sure the grass will survive in them though esp in the small sections

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry, I can't agree about the olympic rings, those little strips of bricks will just be a total pain to mow over/round and will soon get a mat of grass over them and weeds between them. I thought they looked too fussy too. Wider paths that hinted at rings might have worked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So far,all the gardens have turned out not to be in keeping what the original idea and theme of the garden was supposed to be about.

Supergarden so far this season is absolute tripe.Sorry but it is.

Is this the sort of standard that Woodies and Bloom themselves are going to be showing off at Bloom this year??

Let a propper gardener/horticulturalist in at that "Supergarden" show for next year,and then we would seem some fabulous gardens indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I admit I have only watched this programme a couple of times.
    I find the designs a bit too complex and fussy. Hard to see how they willlook good after a few years.
    I miss the old BBC gardening programmes with the likes of Alan Tickmarsh. May have got his name wrong.
    I remember watching good gardeing/cooking programmes on TnaG.

I'm sure one of the Irish TV channels could make a good informative gardening programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yer woman just got ripped to bits by the Supergarden judging panel for her garden design and how it actually turned out.

The finished garden was bland and not that child friendly either (it was suposed to be a child friendly garden and attract wildlife into it,and with a big wow factor to it).

She then stuck an apple tree that will grow to over 16 feet tall,right beside the house and used tons of gravel to hide alot of imperfections too..

The 3 judges slated her for the finished article.

Ouch indeed.:pac::pac:

I think its safe to say that you wont be seeing that garden at Bloom this year.

I know the couple who own the garden and they are absolutely delighted with it. Mightn't be to everyone's taste, but the clients are very happy... they also thought the designer was very harshly treated by the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Zzippy wrote: »
    I know the couple who own the garden and they are absolutely delighted with it. Mightn't be to everyone's taste, but the clients are very happy... they also thought the designer was very harshly treated by the panel.

Ask them again in a few months time.....when they go mowing over the stepping stones and get more than they bargained for, like the bill for broken teeth/ windows etc.

Better still, after they have had to trim the edges, on hands and knees, with a scissors, every week or two, for the rest of time, forever and ever and ever. :D

Zzippy wrote: »

In fairness to the panel and the other "supergarden" contestants...what do you expect a judging panel to say and do when parts of the patio and kerbing are loose,parts of the pebble stepping stones come up in the judges hands when he has a closer look at them.

Not child friendly at all.

Do you expect them not to notice and ignore these facts and problems??

The garden wasnt easy to keep,child friendly and wildlife friendly and wasnt thought out/planned propperly.
    And the judging panel made some very honest and clear cut observations about this.

The was nothing interesting to bringing in wildlife either.

A bird table/dustbin lid right beside the window of the house and some sticks at the bottom of the garden to "attract" bugs and creepy crawlys.

Very inventive indeed,thats makes a "supergarden"???

The Supergarden judging panel had to be hard and harsh (in some peoples eyes) on the lady in question,as her garden did not do what it was claimed to do.

The planting aspect were also badly let down too,and this was pointed out to her well in advance too,but the lady didnt listen.Sticking in a 16 foot apple tree right beside the wall of the house and the kitchen window isnt right either.
    And using tons upon tons of gravel and stones to cover up imperfections and problems isnt a good idea either,especially when you tell the judging panel this.

She should have attacked the problem and fixed it,instead of hiding it/covering it over.

And as for wicker weave raised flower beds??Yeah,that wont need alot of maintanance and upkeep,will it?

I dont think the judges were harsh,they pointed out important things/flaws that maybe the lady in question,just didnt want to accept or hear.

The judges are there to judge a competition,and thats what they did,based on what was proposed,and what they saw as the end result.

At the end of the day,its a competition and the winning garden goes on display at Bloom,for the public to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so yer one from leitrim won, i thought yer man with the olympic rings would have got it..but what do i know

• Advertisement

The right person and the right garden won it.

All the other gardens were not up to standard for Bloom.

And as for all the judges "flip flopping" with their comments.

Judges should stick to their original comments and opinions and not suck up the camera,because its the final show..:rolleyes:

Advertisement