Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Getting Started!

• 01-05-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi!
    I'm a 16 year old male,
    I want to start biking, with the view to tour to India as soon as funds allow.
    I have searched around on the RSA website and similar but I still can't get my head around how you actually get on the road!

Such a basic question, but what do I do? Do I buy a bike and ride while I wait for my lessons/test?
    What would insurance cost for someone my age?

What sort of bike can I go for? Is there a way of progressing onto bigger bikes?

I'm sorry that these are all such basic questions but I'm useless at using the internet for research and I'd really like to have a clearer idea of waht I'm getting into! :)

Rónán

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

My best advise on getting started would be to read the sticky at the top of the page " What you need to know about starting biking"

If you intend to go traveling in future my best advise would be to learn how to research some stuff yourself, not expect folks to answer the same questions week in and week out.

Dont be lazy. ;)

If you need some clarification after you have read the sticky by all means come and ask, people will be more than willing to answer any questions you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hi!
    I'm a 16 year old male,
    I have searched around on the RSA website and similar but I still can't get my head around how you actually get on the road!

Such a basic question, but what do I do? Do I buy a bike and ride while I wait for my lessons/test?

What sort of bike can I go for? Is there a way of progressing onto bigger bikes?

I'm sorry that these are all such basic questions but I'm useless at using the internet for research and I'd really like to have a clearer idea of waht I'm getting into! :)

Rónán

Me personally I rented a bike for the test as I didn't want to invest in a bike until I had the full licence in my mits. I think I got about 12 hours tuition before test day. The test is very easy by European standards, It's mainly nerves that get people on test day.

Because of your age you can only apply for the A1 which is bikes equal to or less than 125cc. Unfortunately you've no way of progressing to a bigger bike until you're 18.

You'll have to complete 16 hours of IBT after you get your Learner Permit before you can ride on your own and you'll need to complete this in order to take your driving test. The attached link will explain everthing:
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/

Another bit of bad news is that from next year (January 19th) the RSA is completely overhauling the Motorcycle Testing to be in line with the EU. It's a real shame you're not 18 so you can bypass all this stuff.

Please read the attached link from page 7 (3.2) which explains everything.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Consultations/Consultation%20Changes%20to%20DL%20System.pdf

So here's what I'd do:

1. Apply for theory test (And Pass)
    http://www.theorytest.ie/english/driver-theory-test/index.php

2. Get eyesight report
    3. Apply for Learner Permit with the above documents to your local motor taxation office

4. Find Motorcycle ADI and take 16 Hours IBT
    http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/Driving-Instructors1/Check-ADI-Register/

5. Decide then if you want to buy bike and ride by yourself or apply for A1 test straightaway
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Apply-online/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hi!
    I'm a 16 year old male,

Rónán

First step is to book the Theory Test, study for the Theory Test, pass the Theory Test.

When you've that done, come back to us. :P

http://theorytest.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

You need to do your theory test first. Because you're only sixteen, you can only go on a level A1 category, which means bikes 125cc or less (as far as I'm aware). After your theory test, you still can't drive yet, you need to pass your IBT. Personally I'd recommend Aaron Rider Training for that, but there's others around if you want. Then you'll be allowed to drive a 125cc bike on your provisional licence.

After that you'll need to wait til your 18 and do a conversion module, again with one of the rider training schools to get onto a bigger bike, but you wont be able to go past 250 until after 2 years have passed and your restriction is lifted.

Insurance will vary, you'll need to get quotes yourself. Ring them up. Aon, Liberty, Carole Nash or Adelaide are all brokers.

I wouldn't bother buying a bike until you pass your IBT, because you can't drive it before then anyways.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Pipz wrote: »
    You need to do your theory test first. Because you're only sixteen, you can only go on a level A1 category, which means bikes 125cc or less (as far as I'm aware). After your theory test, you still can't drive yet, you need to pass your IBT. Personally I'd recommend Aaron Rider Training for that, but there's others around if you want. Then you'll be allowed to drive a 125cc bike on your provisional licence.

After that you'll need to wait til your 18 and do a conversion module, again with one of the rider training schools to get onto a bigger bike, but you wont be able to go past 250 until after 2 years have passed and your restriction is lifted.

Insurance will vary, you'll need to get quotes yourself. Ring them up. Aon, Liberty, Carole Nash or Adelaide are all brokers.

I wouldn't bother buying a bike until you pass your IBT, because you can't drive it before then anyways.

Hope that helps.

The part in bold is incorrect. You're not limited by cc, you're limited to a power of 25kW which most bikes can be restricted to. At your age though you will most likely be restricted by insurance, even on a 50cc it is likely to be €1500 or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement