Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRT Emergency, please help.

• 01-05-2012 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

My JRT got mauled by another dog this evening. She's not physically injured, as in wounded/bleeding, but I think she's in shock.

Shivering, rapid heart beat, terrified looking, wimpering a bit, sore to touch.

Her gums are nice and pink so I don't think she's internally bleeding.

Can't get a vet at moment.

I have her curled up in the heat, is that all I can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

will she eat anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

will try her now.

She just ate a slice of ham, but's she's shivering really badly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

replace her water with cooled boiled water to which you add two parts sugar to one part salt while it is still hot so it can dissolve and she can drink it, that will help.

Keeping her hydrated is the big thing, don't worry if she won't eat.

Also keep her warm, have you any hot water bottles you can wrap in a thick towel and have near her if she snuggles up to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

eating is a good sign-sounds like shock alright. watch her though and keep her warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I don't know if this will help but my JRT hates when we watch football....so to calm her I put her on my knees facing away from me and massage her shoulders and stroke both sides of her neck.
    She near falls asleep.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dodd has reminded me, try cuddling her on the sofa and scratching/rubbing the base of her ears where it meets her skull, I've always found that very calming with dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My Jacker has been quite badly attacked twice by my neighbours lab and reacted like your girl. Keep her warm and hydrated but don't change how you treat her, by that I mean don't mollycoddle her or follow her around if you wouldn't normally do that. Her life has had a major upheaval and she doesn't need things to change at home too.
    If my girls reaction is anything to go by, it may take a few days for her to fully recover from the shock.
    Was it a bigger dog that attacked her? If so she may well be in a certain amount of pain as well as shock, so watch your other dogs around her, she might be a bit snappy with them as she'll be trying to protect herself from further hurt.

It is just horrible when this happens and I truly feel your pain :(

She will recover and be back to herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Don't have anything to add but my heart goes out to your dog, poor little thing must of got such a fright. It's amazing how sensitive doggies can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Hope your dog is ok and she's back to normal asap OP.

She'd normally be sitting on my knee this time of evening, but I can't get her to lie on me. I have blankets and hot water bottle laid out and she won't go near them. She's lying all awkward on the couch but seems happier that way.

It was a bigger dog, she(my dog) started it, and it took about a minute to separate them as it was very unexpected and the situation got out of control too fast for me. I don't know what breed, just a medium sized black dog, like a lab x or something.

• Advertisement

She's probably sore so is trying to take care of herself by not sitting somewhere that moves (your lap)
    After the 2nd attack Jazz physically looked fine but she wouldn't come to me, she seemed scared to, so I sat on the floor next to where she was and then she crept up and lay beside me. I found teeth marks on the inside of her thigh the following day when I was able to examine her and she got badly bruised.
    Thankfully though all it took to heal was time.

For all their small size Jacks are an incredibly stubborn and resilient breed and she will be fine. Take care of yourself also, it is a massive shock to your system to witness a dogfight, especially when it's one of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Ah the poor, poor wee thing! I'd be in shock myself if that happened one of my wee jrs:(. I found this on google...

<snip>

http://dogtime.com/shock-in-dogs-vin.html

How's she doing today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I was just about to post that. I was thinking about the poor wee thing today.

Thank you all fot the replies, they were very helpful and saved me a trip to the vet.

She's cautious of the other dogs and was still a bit cold this morning but she's coming around.

She had a quiet day sitting in the sun and ate twice so I'm thinking she'll be almost back to her troublesome self tomorrow.

Thank again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ann22 wrote: »
    Ah the poor, poor wee thing! I'd be in shock myself if that happened one of my wee jrs:(. I found this on google...

<snip>

http://dogtime.com/shock-in-dogs-vin.html

Please be aware that you can't copy and paste information from any source as this is in breach of the new copyright laws, you can only post a link to the original source.

Advertisement