Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interactive Fiction

• 01-05-2012 10:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here partake in interactive fiction? Basically its where you have a character and you create a story in conjunction with other people. I used to do it years ago and kind of miss it. It can result in some very interesting plots (Since numerous people take 'turns' to create a piece of writing) It can be problematic of course, as not everyone is always on the same wavelength. I haven't done this since I was 15 or so and I'm not sure if it was an early internet phase which has since died. Any advice/links would be much appreciated.

Its a bit like fanfiction except the characters you create interact with other people to create a story.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Not entirely sure what you're referring to.

"Interactive Fiction" tends to refer now to various incarnations of the Zork/Colossal Caves style. There are a few websites and authors still outputting this stuff, although its very much a niche area.

Apart from that, you'll find various boards/forums where members do a "next writer posts piece of story" on a particular theme. The zombie survival forum on boards here had one going for a while (will admit to being one of the writers!). From what I've seen, people into "fan fiction" tend to go for it so if you're particularly interested in a TV or book series, you might find a forum where members are writing in consecutive format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I have not yet participated in such a project. However, I am presently watching such story unfold and I am flirting with jumping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oakleafsfree

heyyy!!! i d be interested too. sounds different...but i wouldnt know the first point to begin....but definately a good excuse to have word play!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Sounds more like you're talking about a text-based RPG than "interactive fiction".

To me "interactive fiction" would mean something like these: http://www.abandonia.com/en/gamebooks#Real+Life+Gamebooks (which I loved as a kid).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oakleafsfree

think your going way ahead, to somewhere....i dont know. think the original posters idea , was for fun, immeadiate and organic and just having a good play with words. you remind me of a shop in manchester city centre, i v watched from the window, where they r all painting little fantasy characters and err other stuff. think the original poster may have just wanted to flex their imagination and storytelling skills on line. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement