Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shafted in Bangkok

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Arriving late in BKK airport via Beijing we went through the usual baggage claim and changed some money and were eager to get to the hotel as it had been a really long day and we were already late. We walked through customs - the normal way I always go, which is through the nothing to declare area, when a couple of cutoms guys stop me and tell me to open my bag. I complied thinking it was just routine checks. Then they called us into a room where they pulled out some cigarettes out of my bag, which we had bought in Beijing, 4 cartons each so a total of 8. of which I was carrying. They made a big fuss about the ciggs and started ripping the duty free bags they were in. So I got the feeling we had more than was allowed maybe. Btw the ciggs were in full visibility in bright yellow duty free bags all the way through the airport but I put them in my luggage for convenience.

Few mins past and some cop comes in speaking English explaining that we had too many ciggs and we were only allowed 1 carton per person. So ok we explained that we really didn't know that and that we both owned them and apologised. He continued that we would have to pay a penalty. So again politely asked how much? He then printed out a bill for
    38,000BHT = 970Euro we just were shocked and in disbelieve. We kept on expalining that we did not know that it was too many ciggs - they weren't having it! After an hour of trying to plead with them I kinda got angry and said to them that it was a tourist trap etc. Then they put it clearly to us. pay now with cash or go to a Bangkok jail and wait there 2 days for a court case. And it would only be me as I was carrying the ciggs.

The same time there was some Japanese girls there in the same situation - crying their eyes out, obviously didn't have the cash!

So we very very reluctantly paid the filthy swines, signed a statement in Thai language of which I initialally refused as I couldn't read it but they assured me it was ok so I dd.

These guys were completely and utterly going to pocket the money. It spoiled our holiday and left us shook up for a few days.

They will never ever ever see my money again. Bangkok is just a cesspit!! Stay well away from it if you can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Unfortunate is all you were,I find Bangkok one of the most interesting cities in the world.
    You got rightly taken though,a friend of ours traveled from the UK to Bangkok a few years back,he also took a carton or two with him and the very same thing happened although he went to jail and the Embassy got him out,took a big fine also.
    Cigarettes are so cheap there i don`t know why he even bothered bringing some over.
    I have been to Thailand umpteen times and never had a bad incident but I know the police who work the special duties,Airport,Tourist areas all cherish these as they can intimidate tourists and supplement there salaries.
    Don`t judge the whole place on one bad experience although i can see how it would leave a bitter after taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

SHAFTED MATE been their sum spot but fags are cheap their so u got screwed by these creeps.......... what ever you lost in cash paying for theses fags save on "ladies" :P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

This is very common and people are warned about bringing in too many cigarettes, They warn you in Abu Dhabi about bangkok and will only sell you 1 carton of cigarettes. The last time I was in Thailand, I was talking to englishman who was fined 100baht per cigarette. You live and learn.Going there next week, so reading this thread has reminded me of those cnuts in bangkok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sorry to hear, sounds like you got proper done over. However the first thing you should have done is play hard-ball and BARGAIN that fine right down - certainly lower than 100€. Don't be too confrontational and try keep it light-humoured otherwise you'll find yourself in worse problems.

Of course, this mightn't work since it was obvious they were targeting nationalities who don't have a culture of bargaining. Wonder if it is worth making a complaint to the nearest Irish embassy/consulate. Seems strange in an international airport they wouldn't have a copy of the regulations in English for you to sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Broken Bad

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, sounds like you got proper done over. However the first thing you should have done is play hard-ball and BARGAIN that fine right down - certainly lower than 100€. Don't be too confrontational and try keep it light-humoured otherwise you'll find yourself in worse problems.

Of course, this mightn't work since it was obvious they were targeting nationalities who don't have a culture of bargaining. Wonder if it is worth making a complaint to the nearest Irish embassy/consulate. Seems strange in an international airport they wouldn't have a copy of the regulations in English for you to sign.

we did offer a lower amount but they were too committed at this stage, the greedy shower ... the next day we rang the Irish consulate and they were absolutely no help what so ever on this matter, saying we broke the law and that was that and if we were to be locked up that they would contact our families - wow thanks.

The purpose of this post is just to warn fellow travelers to beware. I've also read of the duty free in Bkk offering small gifts with purchases then the cops come along and look for a receipt for the free gift you got and SHAFT you.

• Advertisement

Sappa wrote: »
    Unfortunate is all you were,I find Bangkok one of the most interesting cities in the world.
    You got rightly taken though,a friend of ours traveled from the UK to Bangkok a few years back,he also took a carton or two with him and the very same thing happened although he went to jail and the Embassy got him out,took a big fine also.
    Cigarettes are so cheap there i don`t know why he even bothered bringing some over.
    I have been to Thailand umpteen times and never had a bad incident but I know the police who work the special duties,Airport,Tourist areas all cherish these as they can intimidate tourists and supplement there salaries.
    Don`t judge the whole place on one bad experience although i can see how it would leave a bitter after taste.

I didn't go into it but my time in Bkk was just fighting off scammers non stop. like paying for a motorbike taxi and paying 3 times more than the locals, buying a few T-shirts tryin to screw us, I expect a bit of a price hike but they were takin the P. and thing was no one was buyin anything cos they were rippin everyone there. Any of hte other tourist I spoke to there were complaining about the prices and their unwillingness to haggle a little bit, try to bargain down a little and they walk off and ignore you - complete contempt !!

They'll never see my money again in Bkk that is. The rest of the country is pretty much ok from what I've seen of it.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    This is very common and people are warned about bringing in too many cigarettes, They warn you in Abu Dhabi about bangkok and will only sell you 1 carton of cigarettes. The last time I was in Thailand, I was talking to englishman who was fined 100baht per cigarette. You live and learn.Going there next week, so reading this thread has reminded me of those cnuts in bangkok.

Enjoy and stay safe, I was told by a Thai friend that the two most dangerous things in Thailand are taxis & ladyboys. For the taxi ensure they put he meter on or just get out and the other well, keep your head on!

Broken Bad wrote: »
    I didn't go into it but my time in Bkk was just fighting off scammers non stop. like paying for a motorbike taxi and paying 3 times more than the locals, buying a few T-shirts tryin to screw us, I expect a bit of a price hike but they were takin the P. and thing was no one was buyin anything cos they were rippin everyone there. Any of hte other tourist I spoke to there were complaining about the prices and their unwillingness to haggle a little bit, try to bargain down a little and they walk off and ignore you - complete contempt !!

They'll never see my money again in Bkk that is. The rest of the country is pretty much ok from what I've seen of it.
    Whilst I agree it has definitely changed around the tourist areas for haggling and general goodwill on prices,you should not judge the whole city on this recent poor behavior.
    If you go a couple of streets away from the tourist zones,you can haggle very easily,it also depends on your tone,if you have a few words of Thai and if you are familiar with there custom.
    As regards taxis and motorbike taxis,there exploitation is not solely centered on tourists,they rip everyone off and you just have to politely say no and find another one.
    If you pay stupid prices in the tourist zones then your just justifying there attitude,walk away if your not comfortable with the price.
    Unfortunately the Thai vendors who operate in the tourist areas,think if we have less tourists or less volume we will just up the price,this has been going on for years.
    I can find a an ice coffee in Bangkok`s Kao San road for 35 baht and I just say no and walk around the block to a pleasant lady doing amazing iced coffees for 15 baht which I see as reasonable,you can get it for 10 baht in some parts of the city.
    I always steer clear of the tourist mega centers unless were out for a night on the town as I find the unexplored streets of most metropolis cities to be of more interest and cheaper.

we did offer a lower amount but they were too committed at this stage, the greedy shower ... the next day we rang the Irish consulate and they were absolutely no help what so ever on this matter, saying we broke the law and that was that and if we were to be locked up that they would contact our families - wow thanks.
    That's shocking from the consulate, yes they were correct to point out you broke the law but your issue was the intimidation you were subjected to aswell as not being provided an English translation of your charge (Did you even get a copy of the Thai document you signed?). I wonder if Irish consulate staff remember they're not just on a foreign jaunt but actually have a responsibility for citizens abroad.

I tried searching, but can't find anything on the correct level of fines for Thai customs, other than the 200 cig limit.
    Enjoy and stay safe, I was told by a Thai friend that the two most dangerous things in Thailand are taxis & ladyboys. For the taxi ensure they put he meter on or just get out and the other well, keep your head on!
    Doesn't always work! Got a taxi in Hanoi, Vietnam and turned out the meter was clocked, ended up paying 3 times the normal fare :(:mad:

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    That's shocking from the consulate, yes they were correct to point out you broke the law but your issue was the intimidation you were subjected to aswell as not being provided an English translation of your charge (Did you even get a copy of the Thai document you signed?). I wonder if Irish consulate staff remember they're not just on a foreign jaunt but actually have a responsibility for citizens abroad.

I tried searching, but can't find anything on the correct level of fines for Thai customs, other than the 200 cig limit.
    Doesn't always work! Got a taxi in Hanoi, Vietnam and turned out the meter was clocked, ended up paying 3 times the normal fare :(:mad:
    Irish consulate in Bangkok are useless,I had to deal with them once and they would rather you deal solely with the Thai girls working the front desk who were pleasant and extremely hot but not too understanding and the Irish staff just seem to be on a jaunt and uncontactable.

• Advertisement

Sappa wrote: »
    Irish consulate in Bangkok are useless,I had to deal with them once and they would rather you deal solely with the Thai girls working the front desk who were pleasant and extremely hot but not too understanding and the Irish staff just seem to be on a jaunt and uncontactable.
    Thankfully, I never had to deal with any of them on my travels. If i never needed assistance I think I'd nearly be better off trying the UK embassies/consulates and seeing if my residence status counted for anything.

Had a look for fines relating to customs offences in Thailand, found this;
    http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/pdffile/tobacco.pdf
    2. According to Articles 19, 28 and 49 of Thailand’s Tobacco Act of B.E. 2509 (1966), visitors to Thailand are permitted to bring in not more than 500 grams or 1 carton of tobacco products (1 carton = 10 packs). Violators would be subjected to fines ten times the amount of the regulatory tobacco stamp that would normally be applied to the product, with a minimum fine of 100 Baht.
    3. According to Ministerial Regulation No. 27 of the Ministry of Finance of Thailand, the regulatory tobacco stamp on a tobacco pack would be valued at 79% of the price of the pack, which is currently set at 45 Baht per a pack of 20.
    4. In accordance with the details outlined above, visitors bringing into Thailand more than 1 carton of tobacco would be subjected to fines of approximately 3,555 Baht per carton for the excess tobacco.

Allowing for fluctuations in tobacco duty the fine itself seems approximately correct, if a little excessive - no excuse for an international airport to not provide this information in English.

Moral of the story: Check customs for every airport/country and if in doubt; declare: The worst that can happen would be paying the duty, considerably less than paying the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Been there 15 times, I have never been fined because I knew the rules there, LAW is there not to be broken , My friend got fined too like OP.. I once bought two bottle of whisky in Abu Dahbi on the way to bangkok, (If buy two johnny walker whisky, get Johnny Walker carrier bag free) Anyway, i had to ask the free duty shop if thailand allow more than one bottle of whisky (one litre), He told me only one is allowed, So i asked him if i can leave one bottle behind and collect it on the way back to ireland, No problem.... Anyone who plan to go to Thailand be aware that you only allowed no more than 200 cigs and no more than 1 litre of whisky...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Yes same happened to us 2 years ago a group of 8 arrived in bangkok some of the lads had bougt 600 / 800 major john player blue etc in dublin airport so when we got there and went to the customs in bkk they make you make ut your cases / bags through the x ray and the customs stand their beside the xray machine and look into your duty free bags. thay have a big plastic see through box and they make you put your cigs into and leave you 1 box Some in my group went through but they were snared in the hall and taken in had to pay huge fines

So be warned only 200 cigs & 1 ltr of spirits arriving in Thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

does anyone know how many cigarettes/tobacco you are allowed to bring back to ireland from thailand (via Dubai)?
    is there a fine if you are caught trying to bring more?

does anyone know how many cigarettes/tobacco you are allowed to bring back to ireland from thailand (via Dubai)?

You can bring as many you like but the Custom in Dublin might take them off you if you are over the limit.. But no fine which is a good thing. Whereas you would get a hefty fine in Bangkok... Why not buy a fag in Thailand and put them in Suitcase... You may get away with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

thanks chainsawman.
    do you know what the limit is in dublin airport?
    if they get taken then so be it, as you said at least there is no fine, just wondering about the limit.
    would there be any trouble getting them through airport in Dubai do you know?

800 i reckon.... Is the max in Dublin. If you check in your suitcase in BKK, that suitcase will be picked up in Dublin not in Dubai... you will be grand. One problem is trying to pass the dublin custom if you are over 800 cigs... I would take a chance.. If you are stopped, tell em those cigs are for your own use.. No fine but if you carry massive loads, that is another story...Amsterdam Airport are a cnuts, they fine people who brings over the limit...Dont worry, you will be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I brought in 800 from Bangkok via Dubai with Emirates in April and the customs in Dublin seized them off me :mad:, you are allowed only 200 cigarettes from outside the EU and even when I offered to pay the duty they declined and she was an extremely rude woman on a total power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My Dad was told when he went to Bangkok that if something like this happens push them in the chest. It is against their culture and will put them off guard and they will be more submissive and let you walk away. Just make sure there are no cameras on you.

I wouldn't chance it at an airport with the police. You were scammed and there's not much you can do about it now unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My Dad was told when he went to Bangkok that if something like this happens push them in the chest. It is against their culture and will put them off guard and they will be more submissive and let you walk away. Just make sure there are no cameras on you.

Don't do this, there is a massive cultural thing in Thailand about "losing face" and no matter how right or wrong, the farang (foreigner) is always assumed guilty and if you did this in a bar fight or whatever over there you'd quickly have ten or more thai guys ready to kick your ass or worse. Read up on the "Bangkok Hilton" (not the hotel) and you'll quickly realise Thailand is not a place to misbehave. It is very different over there so show respect and dignity and you'll come out of any bad situations better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I am a frequent traveller, an airline employee, living in Asia and have been to BKK many times.

Firstly, 200 cigarettes/person is pretty much standard worldwide as a maximum. Some countries do allow higher allowances, but 200 is the most common maximum allowance. (Beijing will sell you as many as you like - it's your responsibility to be legal on arrival).

I agree that the Thai customs are using it to supplement their income, it is an unfair law, and bordering on an official scam. However you did break the law and must acknowledge that.
    Personally I would have surrendered the cigarettes and immediately called the embassy; waiting calmly and saying little. They can only give advice really.
    Most likely scenario is to be patient, be polite and negotiate. I doubt I would end up paying much over 100USD. The combination of being polite, being in touch with your consulate, and being seen to be willing to go to jail if it isnt resolved will usually amount to too much hassle for them. They will negotiate. After all it is going in his (and his bosses pockets).
    if in doubt; declare: The worst that can happen would be paying the duty, considerably less than paying the fine.
    This is great advice. Most people get scammed trying to get a bargain or to cheat the system.
    Got a taxi in Hanoi, Vietnam and turned out the meter was clocked, ended up paying 3 times the normal fare
    Get official metered taxis. Make sure the company name is spelled correctly. I check reputable taxi information before I travel to any country, never mind a developing one.
    I lived in Nam for years. My first taxi I paid 5 euro to go 500 meters in a peugeot from 1940. I learnt quickly. That should have given me 3 laps of the city.
    Here is a story:
    http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/812010/Hanoi_taxi_driver_arrested.html

The general rule the world over is to say no to anyone approaching you. Look, walk, talk and act like you know what you are doing (even when you havent a clue). Do not have maps, travel guides etc on view. Cut a swathe through the crowd in the arrival hall (same applies outside bars etc), until you get to reputable taxi ranks etc.

This will put off 95% of the scammers.

Here is the Department of Foreign Affairs (Ireland) advice website for Thailand. To be fair it does mention this fine.
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8493
    My Dad was told when he went to Bangkok that if something like this happens push them in the chest. It is against their culture and will put them off guard and they will be more submissive and let you walk away.

This is the most retarded advice I've ever heard. Assault on a customs officer will get you jail pretty quickly.
    Anywhere else it will involve every Thai guy within 200 yards smashing your head in with ashtrays, chairs, fire extinguishers etc. Do not fight in Asia. It is not a quick flurry of punches like in Ireland. It is every weapon to hand, and every man nearby. Stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

fluffer wrote: »
    This is the most retarded advice I've ever heard. Assault on a customs officer will get you jail pretty quickly.
    Anywhere else it will involve every Thai guy within 200 yards smashing your head in with ashtrays, chairs, fire extinguishers etc. Do not fight in Asia. It is not a quick flurry of punches like in Ireland. It is every weapon to hand, and every man nearby. Stupid idea.

He was told that by someone who has been there for years. It wasn't about customs or police though, just people trying to scam you in the street. Seemed crazy to me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

"Shafted in Bankok"....I was expecting a different storyline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Thai cops are crooked as they come. You can literally pay someone off to become a cop there, and lots of cops in tourist areas (and you'd presume at the airport) are in these bought uniforms and badges prowling for their kickback. Some within the country would seem to want to kill the tourism golden calf with behavior like this.

A beautiful country and people held back by a tolerance for high level corruption. The political system is rancid there as well. Going to be interesting to see what happens when the King eventually passes away.

What is the limit for Cigar to go to Bangkok Airport from Abu Dahbi ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

What is the limit for Cigar to go to Bangkok Airport from Abu Dahbi ?

For over 20 year olds:
    • 200 cigarettes or 250g cigars 250g of tobacco

castie wrote: »
    For over 20 year olds:
    • 200 cigarettes or 250g cigars 250g of tobacco

Thanks I was half worried of how many cigars to bring in, for a friend of mine(Dont smoke cigar myself)... Did not want to be fined 50,000 for being over the limit, BIB (Boys in brown or thai police) would be happy with the tea money :D.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

End of the day with this you broke there customs laws.
    You were fined harshly.

Considering the punishment drug trafficers get in most of these countries compared to Ireland I would think the punishment scales quite well.

They are no nonsense people in thailand when it comes to punishments.
    They do use this to get money but end of the day being down cash is better than a thai prison...

I do alot of travelling and cant understand why people dont read the customs information which is in every inflight shopping magazine ive seen!
    This attitude of "sure ill be grand theyll never catch me" is so stupid around asia and even australia. (theyd fine you a few hundred aus for a chocolate bar!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I was buying cigarettes and spirits in Abu Dhabi a few weeks ago,i had 600 cigs and 4 bottles of spirits,but the guy working there asked where i was going so i said Dublin and he said you are only allowed 400 cigarettes and 2 bottles,so i bought 3 bottles and told him to let me worry about it when i get back to Ireland.

I was stopped by customs leaving the airport,they were doing random x-rays of suitcases,but none of them said anything about the duty-free.

• Advertisement

Why would you buy cigarettes prior to arriving in Bangkok where you can get them for a fraction of the price of that even in Duty Free on way out ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement