Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directory Submission

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I'm newbie to internet marketing, so I read that the simpliest way to get some traffic to your website is to submit it to the 100s of directories.
    I have recently submited my website to browseireland directory and even pay 29 euro for the Premium listing. 2 weeks since I never appear on their website. I sent them 4 emails but had no respond.
    Does anyone know about browseireland? Are they dead? As far as I know it is very good directory to submit saite for but not to reply to their customers is not seems to be very professional.
    If you could help me with any info about them..
    Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

You could try these contact details for BrowseIreland:

Administrative Contact:
    Galligan, Roger roger@iol.ie
    Browse the World, Ltd
    Nassau House, Nassau Street
    Dublin 2
    Dublin, Leinster Dublin 2
    Ireland
    16711111 Fax --

Available from the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

moorea77 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm newbie to internet marketing, so I read that the simpliest way to get some traffic to your website is to submit it to the 100s of directories. .

Don't believe everything you read.

Are there any discussion forums where you could participate, and natually mention (ie link to) some resource on your website in response to someone else's query? Or where you could put a link in your signature?

Don't be spammy (self-promoting posts, manufactured questions etc) - be natural and helpful, and if you have good content the links will flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 moorea77

You could try these contact details for BrowseIreland:

Administrative Contact:
    Galligan, Roger roger@iol.ie
    Browse the World, Ltd
    Nassau House, Nassau Street
    Dublin 2
    Dublin, Leinster Dublin 2
    Ireland
    16711111 Fax --

Available from the public domain.

Thank you LifeBeginsAt40.
    This email roger@iol.ie doesn't work (my email was returned undelivered)
    I've also tried this number 014721032 and secretary passed my number to Roger to call me back. Still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Thank you LifeBeginsAt40.
    This email roger@iol.ie doesn't work (my email was returned undelivered)
    I've also tried this number 014721032 and secretary passed my number to Roger to call me back. Still waiting.

I just did a WHOIS search for the domain name (a search of who administers and owns a domain name) and those were the current details for that web site.

If you don't get any response what so ever you could try http://www.domainregistry.ie and see if they could at least provide a valid contact email.

I received response from Roger! :) It is all sorted now.
    Thank you all who helped me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

I received response from Roger! :) It is all sorted now.
    Thank you all who helped me.

Directory submission is overrated. Directories do 2 things that are fundamentally at odds with a search engine: 1. they displace search results and move a user to an "alternative" search structure, which is either arranged alphabetically, by commercial incentive or worse and 2. they bleed authority.

I've seen so many people rank/rate directories based on home page PageRank. This is pointless. By the time you're listed on Tier 3 with 100 other sites, you'll get little benefit.

Essentially, directories offer no value to users IMHO. Get a refund if you can and look rather at building a profile, network and useful site. Blogging and wider engagement is much, much more beneficial.

link8r wrote: »
    Directory submission is overrated. Directories do 2 things that are fundamentally at odds with a search engine: 1. they displace search results and move a user to an "alternative" search structure, which is either arranged alphabetically, by commercial incentive or worse and 2. they bleed authority.

I've seen so many people rank/rate directories based on home page PageRank. This is pointless. By the time you're listed on Tier 3 with 100 other sites, you'll get little benefit.

Essentially, directories offer no value to users IMHO. Get a refund if you can and look rather at building a profile, network and useful site. Blogging and wider engagement is much, much more beneficial.

Hi link8r and thank you for advice. This is a good advice and I know that creating a network and write more content is much better, and I would love to have blog on my website. My problem is that english is not my first language and due to low budget I can't always hire a professional copywriter (actually I did hire but money was gone very fast). The good thing is that my website is useful for people, that's what my registered users said to me. I just need to push it correct way but don't really know how to start.
    Do you know maybe any good article/blog writer who can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Hi link8r and thank you for advice. This is a good advice and I know that creating a network and write more content is much better, and I would love to have blog on my website.

You're very welcome!
    My problem is that english is not my first language and due to low budget I can't always hire a professional copywriter (actually I did hire but money was gone very fast). The good thing is that my website is useful for people, that's what my registered users said to me. I just need to push it correct way but don't really know how to start.
    Do you know maybe any good article/blog writer who can help?

I wouldn't ever hire a professional copywriter. Firstly, anyone can be a copywriter - its insane to think that this is only for people with a certain type of education. Secondly, most copywriters are over zealous with grammar and particular writing styles, that for the most part, people only read because they have to not because they want to.

Writing your own blog/content may even help you grow your command of the English language.

I'd recommend reading Damien Mulley, Seth Godin, and Pat Phelan all write really well written posts because they know their audience!

If you're still struggling or want more help, I'd suggest getting on to twitter.

You can also buy discreet writing projects via elance and so on - there are a lot of creative types all over the world who can write stuff for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 vikashmundaa

I'm newbie to internet marketing, so I read that the simpliest way to get some traffic to your website is to submit it to the 100s of directories.
    Thank you in advance.

You might have encountered wrong info about directory submission are not for traffic purpose nowadays ask yourself if you want to find info about video games would you spends hours in browsing web directory or you just simply google it that's same with many people the directory itself have low traffic so traffic it sends is negligible you should rather try submitting your site in business directory that is more worth the effort.

Seo Purpose : Now directory submission are mainly done for seo purpose if you don't know about seo than you can refer to google or ask in forums.

Advertisement