Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehome goldfish?

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help me out. I have three goldfish in a 30L tank. Obviously it is way too small for them, but I didn't know that when I put them in. I thought they'd be fine if I did regular water changes, and have no problem with that. I change 25% mid-week and 50% at the weekend, and it's keeping the water clear, and they are certainly not showing any signs of growth retardation, but that's part of the problem I guess. The comet goldfish is now 5-6 inches and just has no room to swim in such a small tank. The other two are Orandas, and they seem to be doing better. They are half the length of the Comet though.

I would love to keep them, but can't afford to upgrade the tank - this is the upgrade you see, because I originally bought a 10L tank (bowl?) on the advice of the Pet Shop that it was a "perfect starter aquarium and hardy fish". I should have done my research, but unfortunately, I thought goldfish would be a simple pet to keep, and didn't think there was much to know... Don't know why I believed them when they sold me the "upgrade".

I've learned enough since to think that keeping them in such a small tank is cruel, and I'd like to see them homed in a proper size tank (or even a pond - are they big enough for that?)

I'm in North Dublin. Anyone interested in rehoming these fish? All three are healthy. They had white spot in November, but I treated them and they haven't had a reoccurance since.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I have a pond so could rehome the comet for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Oh that would be fantastic Degsy. Are you in Dublin? Do you think he's big enough? (I don't want to rehome him only for him to end up as another fish's dinner!)

I think even if I rehomed only the Comet, it would take some of the pressure off the tank. And the Orandas are much smaller and will probably be okay for some time yet.

aniascor wrote: »
    Oh that would be fantastic Degsy. Are you in Dublin? Do you think he's big enough? (I don't want to rehome him only for him to end up as another fish's dinner!)

I think even if I rehomed only the Comet, it would take some of the pressure off the tank. And the Orandas are much smaller and will probably be okay for some time yet.

Yup..i live D11 and i can collect.

I have three large comets already in my pond so i'm sure he'll be happy enough.

Happy to report Freddy is getting on with my other fish and eating Koi sticks this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

hey im in dublin, have an orange comet and a lemon goldfish to rehome was given those in a tank with a shubunkin im keeping the shubunkin as im getting a bigger tank anyway the 2 are free

• Advertisement

PucaMama wrote: »
    hey im in dublin, have an orange comet and a lemon goldfish to rehome was given those in a tank with a shubunkin im keeping the shubunkin as im getting a bigger tank anyway the 2 are free

I got room for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You'll have to dig a bigger pond at this rate, Degsy!

I hope my fella is behaving himself with his new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Degsy wrote: »
    Happy to report Freddy is getting on with my other fish and eating Koi sticks this morning!

Thanks for the update Degsy! And once again thanks a million for taking him. Already the filter in my tank is working much better, now that it's not overloaded by three fish.

Ideally, I'd still like to rehome the Orandas, because I think that long-term they are too big for the tank, but for now, I think they are happy enough there until I can find someone who wants them.

kylith wrote: »
    You'll have to dig a bigger pond at this rate, Degsy!

I hope my fella is behaving himself with his new friends.

Yup..and he's grown quite abit too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jinjodesign

Hi Degsy,

Just wondering if you still have your pond and possibly from for two gorgeous long tailed comets??

We have a 90L tank with two orandas and the two comets and it's way overcrowded. These guys deserve a bit of freedom!!

I see you are located in Dublin 11, we could drop the two guys to you if your up for rehoming them!

Let me know if you are up for it and I will arrange to get them to you.

Jenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I have taken the above fish into my pond and they are doing super. One was getting bullied for a while, but it's all settled down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Got room for another common goz83? I've a 5" one in an 100l tank that really needs to be in a pond at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Good job to the people who adopted!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jinjodesign

goz83 wrote: »
    I have taken the above fish into my pond and they are doing super. One was getting bullied for a while, but it's all settled down now.

Gary Thank you so much for taking our two!

I was wondering how they were getting on... Didnt want to hassle ye with texting to see how they were. I hope they are all good now?

Did you get your pump sorted?

Great weather for them these past few days!

Jen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to adopt 1 small black common goldfish and 2 minnows? I'm switching back to tropicals and don't have space in my flat for 2 tanks. Can meet you anywhere in Dublin City!

Advertisement