Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

highchair suggestions

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hey looking for a highchair for my 7month old
    tripp trap recommended in other posts though just saw youtube footage of a kid in a tripp trap and can knock himself over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

I have the juice highchair from mamas and papas and its fantastic. It's nice and compact and very easy to clean. It's also level with our table so our son eats his meals at the table with us. Highly recommend the juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

http://www.viewpoints.com/Ikea-Antilop-High-Chair-reviews

We got a booster chair that attaches to an ordinary chair at our table mainly because of space but if I was buying a high chair I'd buy this.. It's very simple, easy to clean and very cheap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would buy one of the plastic high chairs that goes on top of another chair.
    We have this - http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=282002&e=product&pid=58690&ncat=thumbnail&pcat=bg_rainforest

It is so easy to clean and store.

We have a gorgeous wooden one to but it is so hard to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

We have Chicco Happy Snack and its very good. We were recommended this by my niece who works in Mothercare and she said its the best seller and never get any returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

http://www.viewpoints.com/Ikea-Antilop-High-Chair-reviews

We got a booster chair that attaches to an ordinary chair at our table mainly because of space but if I was buying a high chair I'd buy this.. It's very simple, easy to clean and very cheap.

+1 on this.

Bought a more expensive Graco table but it was too big. At ten months there's still plenty of room in this ikea one and he's far more comfortable in it.

It's also cheap as chips, small and easy to clean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We have the 14 euro white ikea one in nana's house. Booster seat in grannys house and we got a gift of a bloom fresco loft for our own house (we use a breakfast bar, so it puts baby up high enough for that.) We also had a bumbo with a tray.

The ikea one is awesome, but she is a bit big for it now at 14 months. She can shake it a bit.

The booster is good but a bit hard to clean when stuff gets under it. Very tidy though, doesn't take up any space.

The bloom one is easy to clean and looks good. We were able to use it from birth which was very handy. It's crazy crazy expensive new though, and has a big footprint in the kitchen. You nearly need a square meter of floor space for it.

The bumbo didn't suit our small one. She was able to flip out of it very easily. Some kids are great in them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

We have a Tripp trapp at home and an Ikea Antilop in Granny's house. The ikea one is much easier to clean.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The tripp trapp chair now comes with extended legs to avoid tipping over. It is also a chair for 15/20 years use which is something a lot of parents don't seem to be aware of. It adapts to the child's growth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We have a Chicco Polly Magic, as recommended by Which. Clunky and a bit more difficult to clean than the IKEA Spoling that lives in granny's house, but you need something a bit more versatile for day-to-day use, and it takes a hammering well. We chose the Spoling over the Antilop because it folds and tucks away in a corner. Babs loves it, because he's not surrounded like in the Chicco. The Chiccos are pricey, but there's tons of them on Done Deal, Adverts.ie, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Antilop high chair from IKEA is great. available in a few different colours.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40140046/

you can add a tray for €4

one thing to look out for in high chairs is to ensure that they have a permemant leg divider as this one does. I've seen some that don't and unless you close the straps they do slip put out of them.

TBH you rarly clsoe the straps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

another +1 for the ikea antilop, we have it for ours with the blow up back/side support and the clip on tray and it's great. lightweight and easy to assemble/disassemble, easy to clean and very stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I wish I'd bought one of the Chicco ones:( Mine's a Mamas & Papas Zest and I hate it! It's heavy, awkward to move (wheels are useless) and nearly impossible to fold. The wee man is in a Safety First booster now, so I have my kitchen back.

I wheel my fella around in the Chicco. It's like a hand-truck for babies. :)

reduced? holy sweet baby jebus?!?!

you could get 6 of the ikea ones for the same price as one of those. :eek:

don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's wonderful, but i couldn't spend that much on one knowing that the ikea one is out there for so much less. even after you've bought the add-on table bit you'll still have plenty of cash left over to spend on other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

We have either the Chicco or Cossato one and wouldn't recommend it really. Very big and bulky & lots of little nooks and crannies for food to fall into, get stuck and fester ! Ended up with a booster seat from Mothercare which got a lot of use, once our daughter got a bit older. Anyway our second child is just starting weaning so will have to dig the monster out of the roof space. For info I think that I saw a product recall for an Ikea high chair a while ago, as there were issues with the straps.

For info I think that I saw a product recall for an Ikea high chair a while ago, as there were issues with the straps.
    yep, saw that too, but the strap thing had been fixed long before we bought ours.

vibe666 wrote: »

We spent about the same on the used Chicco, because while the Antilop is fine for some, it's not for others. In particular it's not height-adjustable, it doesn't recline, it's not foldable, and it doesn't have a basket for storage of a thousand bibs. Each to their own.

fair enough, i just couldn't justify spending that much on something like that knowing how good the antilop is and how little it costs by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

vibe666 wrote: »
    reduced? holy sweet baby jebus?!?!

don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's wonderful, but i couldn't spend that much on one knowing that the ikea one is out there for so much less. even after you've bought the add-on table bit you'll still have plenty of cash left over to spend on other stuff.
    i know vibe thing is when the twins were born we said we'd only get what we needed, no toys or anything like that. before we knew it that commitment went out the window. the house is starting to look like a kids playpen. so when we're buying anything big or that going to last a long time the first thing we look for is to see if it can be easily folded and stored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

hey thanks for all the advice ,my 7 month is in a bumba chair at the mo but getting too big for it now, still undecided like the idea of trip trapp( the chair growing with kid lasting years) but would prefer if kid had own table considering he will be making a mess.
    easy to clean and can fold away is what i am looking for ,thanks again

i know vibe thing is when the twins were born we said we'd only get what we needed, no toys or anything like that. before we knew it that commitment went out the window. the house is starting to look like a kids playpen. so when we're buying anything big or that going to last a long time the first thing we look for is to see if it can be easily folded and stored.
    twins? double trouble is right! :D

we have enough grief with one, i can't imagine how hard it would be if he was a twin! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

bbosco wrote: »
    hey thanks for all the advice ,my 7 month is in a bumba chair at the mo but getting too big for it now, still undecided like the idea of trip trapp( the chair growing with kid lasting years) but would prefer if kid had own table considering he will be making a mess.

It's really nice having baby at the table with you during mealtimes, and for playing with blocks or whatever together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

NextSteps wrote: »
    It's really nice having baby at the table with you during mealtimes, and for playing with blocks or whatever together.

HAve to say the tripp trapp +1, definitely worth it, even though it's pricy it'll definitely hold it's value if you want to sell it on. And it's a funny thought for the future having an adult sitting on their 'baby chair' or even putting back on the safety bar after 20 odd years for their own future kids.
    On the negative side it doesn;t fold up but then again neither do any of 'our' chairs which are permanently at the table. Only had one 'close call' with the child trying to climb on it from behind and pulling it over(Didn;t have the extendable legs), easy enough to put in a strap to fix it to the table yourself though. Could have happened with a normal kitchen chair too I reckon.
    Compared to fixed sized baby chairs it was/is a nice experience adjusting it as the child grew also. Never found it too difficult to wipe clean either with a sponge and warm water, unless you get the cushion attachment but that's easily washed. We got ours on an ebay store which was about 20eur cheaper than other online stores. Lots on sale in the UK second hand if you can get a delivery address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we never actually bought a highchair we used this:

http://www.the-best-gift-shop-on-the.net/tomy-freestyle-3in1-booster-seat-travel-bagchanging-mat-2551-p.asp

Pros:

simple to clean, we even put ours into the washing machine.
    portable (this was a big factor for us we were eating at my mums most nights)so if we were eating at my mums or in a restaurant we were able to use it,
    the bag came in more then handy as did the changing mat (the changing mat folded is what gives the height)
    its a soft chair so they do not hurt themselves off it!
    she never got in the habit of having a high chair and in restaurants learnt quickly and early how to sit still at the table, and they didnt have to go dragging high chairs across places for us,she just sat on the normal chair.

cons:
    we were lucky everyone had 'normal' chairs, if someone/somewhere has those lower chairs the baby cannot reach the table,

not as sturdy as a plastic/wooden chair, but then we never had any accidents.

we bought ours in smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

hi which chicco model did you buy, wheels seems like a good idea

Advertisement