Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Build Components Review

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

OK I know I've posted a few threads already but I'm notorious for be indecisive so kept changing my mind.. I think I've reached a levelling ground now for exactly what I want after researching a few things and talking to a few people.. To make things easier I'm gonna post this below.

1. What is your budget? would like to keep under €1000 if possible

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? media server
    (transcoding HD video..). HTPC (watching Movies and Live TV). Gaming (would like to run fairly new games at 1080p with as high settings as my budget allows. also gonna be running a few emulators on it)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have a number of 2.5" HDD's that add up to about 1TB in total. Also have a couple of optical drives..gonna be adding bluray at a later stage

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 Panasonic Vieira

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? nope no need if i need them i;ll sort that out

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I think i might as well as the overclocks seem to be alot more stable now.

8. How can you pay? PayPal Bank transfer

9. When are you purchasing? In the next couple of weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Based in Wicklow

After a few weeks research this is what i've come up with.

Item|Price
    IN WIN BR665 Midi-Tower - black, mATX, ohne Netzteil|€58.66
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€38.56
    Arctic Cooling Wärmeleitpaste MX-4 Tube|€3.25
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro(Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/754/939/AM2/AM2 +/AM3/AM3+/FM1)|€23.99
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850, 2048MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7850, PCI- Express|€216.81
    Super-Flower SF650P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold|€83.72
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€212.85
    ASUS P8Z77-M PRO, Sockel 1155, mATX, DDR3|€114.01
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB 6,4cm (2,5") SATA3|€103.94
    Blackgold-BGT3630|€109.15
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€984.13

I went for mATX board as I don't have that much space also the case seems to have plenty of ventilation and is pretty much at the top size i can fit also and the drive bays are well laid out. The tv tuner card is PCIe x1 I'm pretty sure that it'll run on the PCIe x16 (x4 mode) slot can some one confirm this..as when the GPU is in the PCIe x1 will be covered. Also do you think this case would be big enough for crossfire in the future should I choose to remove the tv tuner card to bump up the GPU power. Also what kinda of setting and resolution would i get in the latest games and BF3 and GTA IV?

I'm plannig on using the SSD for boot and system then my other HDD's for storage maybe in raid

Basically I'm just after some reassurance that what I'm doing is realistic and that the build is compatible and will suit my needs

Also if anyone has any suggestions for alternate parts or different brands or anything else that I might need or could save a few quid on..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

That case.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

pockets3d wrote: »
    That case.

No.

please elaborate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=35865&agid=635

This ones even smaller and more ricer for the same price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/artic...35865&agid=635

This ones even smaller and more ricer for the same price

Vulcan is discontinued so if hwvs don't have it in stock I doubt it will be coming back into stock.

Fractal do some nice mATX cases. Would go for the Defini Mini (€80) personally but if you have a tight budget they do some cheaper ones.

Vulcan is discontinued so if hwvs don't have it in stock I doubt it will be coming back into stock.

Fractal do some nice mATX cases. Would go for the Defini Mini (€80) personally but if you have a tight budget they do some cheaper ones.

the Define Mini looks nice alight a bit on the expensive side but it does seem to have nice noise dampening features.. Still what's wrong with the case i had chosen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's just a bit bleurgh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

very bleurgh

lol substance over style lads... but still I can stretch for the define mini the reviews I've seen seem to be good on it

so apart from the case is the rest of the build ok?

Advertisement