Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BLUEBOTTLES.

• 01-05-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

So the flat is FULL of them in the kitchen/living area, now they have inhabited one of the bedrooms on the same side, the other side of the flat is unaffected.

What is causing them? the place is clean, and the bins have been brought out. The flat above has been making suspicious noises.. and I heard a saw and drill being used the week before... should I be worried? I have these horror movie images of a rotting corpse in my head. Or could they be down to a change in weather? (IDK):confused: AHHHHHHHHH.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

dead body under the floorboards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't know but you should crawl into your wardrobe and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

CavanCrew wrote: »
    So the flat is FULL of them in the kitchen/living area, now they have inhabited one of the bedrooms on the same side, the other side of the flat is unaffected.

What is causing them? the place is clean, and the bins have been brought out. The flat above has been making suspicious noises.. and I heard a saw and drill being used the week before... should I be worried? I have these horror movie images of a rotting corpse in my head. Or could they be down to a change in weather? (IDK):confused: AHHHHHHHHH.

The Lord Of Decay Wants Your Flesh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Clean underneath your foreskin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Smella Gee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Reckon while someone was cooking a bit of raw meat went astray. It would only need to be a tiny piece for the "plague" to arrive. Look behind EVERY surface for the offending bit of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

grindle wrote: »
    Clean underneath your foreskin.

I dont have such genitalia but thanks for the heads..up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I dont have such genitalia but thanks for the heads..up

Then roll your flaps back and douse in Domestos.
    *cap-doff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Stop being a stingy Cavan ****e and buy fly spray

Problem solved:rolleyes:

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Stop being a stingy Cavan ****e and buy fly spray

Problem solved:rolleyes:

Yeah I was spraying them with oven cleaner, it seemed to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Get chopsticks and go all Mr. Miyagi on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Aw, the blue bottle fly, my favorit crustation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yeah I was spraying them with oven cleaner, it seemed to do the job.
    Maybe you should use the oven cleaner to clean the oven in the first place :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

You have lots of little white maggots somewhere in you house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AskJives

Money is on you have a dead rat behind the walls. Bluebottle flys are attracted to decaying flesh.

Not to feak you out but they lay their eggs inside the carcus. The idea being when their off-spring hatches they have "food" - quite freaky. You got to find what they are feeding on and remove it. Otherwise it'll take a good while for them to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Bluebottles: Hairy Japanese bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I agree with last post has to be a dead rat or rats some were under the floor boards.

AskJives wrote: »
    Money is on you have a dead rat behind the walls. Bluebottle flys are attracted to decaying flesh.

Not to feak you out but they lay their eggs inside the carcus. The idea being when their off-spring hatches they have "food" - quite freaky. You got to find what they are feeding on and remove it. Otherwise it'll take a good while for them to move on.

This has actually scared me, Im afraid you are right.. because its only on one side of the flat. the other side they dont go near... but i think the ceiling is cement... who do you contact? the management of the flat block?

This has actually scared me, Im afraid you are right.. because its only on one side of the flat. the other side they dont go near... but i think the ceiling is cement... who do you contact? the management of the flat block?

First thing you should do is to try and find the rat yourself.
    If you remove it, disinfect the area and leave the windows open. The blue bottles will go. Easiest and quickest solution. Nothing wrong with using bug spray on them too. But the first part will surfice.

Remember, blue bottles like to keep close to what attracted them there in the first place. So if you see a concentration of them, for example, around the cooker more so than other areas ... All signs point to that there is something dead under the cooker or worse inside that wall.

So first things first, look for that concentration and pull out what ever is in front of it and see if you can find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Beautiful creatures.

• Advertisement

AskJives wrote: »
    First thing you should do is to try and find the rat yourself.
    If you remove it, disinfect the area and leave the windows open. The blue bottles will go. Easiest and quickest solution. Nothing wrong with using bug spray on them too. But the first part will surfice.

Omg this is so gross, i cant sleeeep.

I am NOT going to try find a RAT myself?? im scared of mice and hamsters and RATS, i would rather carry a spider. il have a look and see, but i am actually terrified. If you would like to volunteer, il let u keep whatever is found.
    Il check the cooker, there are no floorboards its concrete.. and i closed off all the windows to stop anymore of them coming in because i thought they were coming from the flat above... Naive. Im pretty sure its the flat above.. like there is nothing here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Don't worry, it might not be a dead rat, it's probably bedbugs feeding on a dead mouse in your mattress, with a bit of luck the mouse carcass will keep the bedbugs busy & your allright for a few days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Copy of the Mail and use as a fly swat.

I am NOT going to try find a RAT myself?? im scared of mice and hamsters and RATS, i would rather carry a spider. il have a look and see, but i am actually terrified. If you would like to volunteer, il let u keep whatever is found.

Deal. I'll sell the rat on ebay afterwards :pac:
    Il check the cooker, there are no floorboards its concrete.. and i closed off all the windows to stop anymore of them coming in because i thought they were coming from the flat above... Naive. Im pretty sure its the flat above.. like there is nothing here...

But to be serious, it sounds awkward now.
    Getting rid of something dead that you can see and remove, whilst maybe not the most pleasant of things, can at least be sorted without much hassle.

But... as you say. Its either in the walls or coming from something in the flat above you (this is why i hate the aspect of living in flats. People always run the risk of having a potential dirt bird living beside you. But thats a different topic)

If I were you I would knock around to the flat above you. Ask them if they are getting blue bottle flies too. They say yes? Tell them to look around for a dead rat. They say no? ... Still ask them to look around. But it means its probably behind your wall. In which you'd have to take the skirting board off. Maybe even a bit of the plaster board.

Don't remove the rat/mouse/old ham sandwich from behind the wall - it's a protected ecosystem now.

Name the bluebottles. Something wholesome. Then they'll just seem like old friends.

Have you seen the Jeff Goldblum version of The Fly? It'll be just like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

buy a pet lizard.... it will munch away on the bluebottles

a friend got a lizard (like chub chub from the simpsons) an iguana i think its called. he hasnt seen a bluebottle last more than a day in his house since he got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its because your place is clean, they like clean places. You should throw your rubbish around the house, stop cleaning and vacuuming and never clear out the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If you leave some raw meat out around the place it will get rid of them, they're militant vegetarians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Wow thats very strange ..I was pulling the blinds in my Apartment this morning and noticed loads of Bluebottle Flys in my nextdoor neighbours window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bu a couple of tarantulas from a pet shop and let them loose around the house. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Based on recent findings (this morning - AH), there must be a hairy gee in the vicinity.

Today's episode was brought to you by the word 'Bottle', and the colour 'Blue'.

And also 'hairy gee'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Weird i had the exact same problem for the last few days in my place. Turns out they were coming in through a vent in the bathroom. Sealed the vent with tape for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Could be a crop of cluster flies instead of bluebottles, they like to hibernate together in your attic over the winter (bad news if you're an earthworm though).

Of course, it could be a lot worse if your home was infested with the human botfly, likes to lay it's eggs on you, then the larva burrows in and feeds away before crawling out in a few weeks as a pupa. Tough luck if they manage to get in around your eyeball or scrotum apparently.

Yeah as it stands now, there are about 4-5 of them, the rest were swatted. so it was defoooo coming from somewhere else, I suspect some mank neighbour, who knows their neighbours these days anyways?

THANKS FOR ALL SCARING ME. Dead body/rat/bedbugs feeding on my body/nesting in my skin/hairygee/scrotum/buy tarantulas.

Weird i had the exact same problem for the last few days in my place. Turns out they were coming in through a vent in the bathroom. Sealed the vent with tape for the time being.

Yeah we sealed the vents on our windows.. seems to have helped !

• Advertisement
Advertisement