Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub for a Match

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

looking for the best pub to watch a match in in Kilkenny City. Have a decent knowledge of the place but not yet a good knowledge of the pubs. Hoping to watch the final two Premiership games with a good atmosphere.

Was advised that the Pumphouse would be a good place to watch the recent Manchester derby. Got in nice an early for a good seat. Was nice and cosy it must be said, with a nice pint. 5 minutes before kick off and they lost the signal! Couldn't believe it! They use some dodgy internet set-up and couldn't get it back. We waited a few mins but it wasn't happening so the whole pub (60/70 customers) were forced to leave and go elsewhere, with the barman apologising on the way out. Disgusted to say the least! We won't be back.

Went into a cosy place next door which was fine but not great for a crowd. Although at least they did pay their Sky bill!

So where to for the final two games of the season? Looking for a good atmosphere, nice pint and decent screen(s).

Thanks,

Kilk M

(I am aware of the Worlds End and its qualities) :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kilk M wrote: »
    (I am aware of the Worlds End and its qualities) :)

There's your answer, thread closed :pac:

Rafters has a big screen and gets a crowd for the matches. I was supposed to be in the Pumphouse for the Manc derby but obviously everyone moved on so I caught the second half in Kytlers which has lots of small screens dotted around the place. If you're a smoker it's definitely the place to watch a match, you can see see the tvs from any section of the smoking area, there was a good crowd there watching it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kilk M wrote: »
    So where to for the final two games of the season? Looking for a good atmosphere, nice pint and decent screen(s).

Rafters have a good screen in there. They had a match on there last Saturday and the screen was very impressive.

About 7/8 years ago the Bróg would have been perfect. I remember going there on a Wednesday night to watch United v Arsenal and the whole place was packed to the rafters. I had to sit on the window sill at the very back of the pub, a good 40 feet away from the screen. That was during the Celtic Tiger though and everyone was in the pub for those matches.

I was in Egan's a few years ago for a United match and it was decent enough. Twas an early kickoff though so the crowd was small. I also didn't get served which was a bit of a joke.

I don't bother with the pub for matches really any more. The Bróg was always my first choice when I did. 30 second walk across the road from my house and they would always have United matches on. I've sacrificed quality for sanity now by watching online. Some of the lads that were in the pubs would drive you around the bend. They genuinely had no clue at all what they were talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kilk M

Thanks guys.
    Will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I should mention that the Bróg don't really do matches any more I think. You'd be better off checking the other pubs first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Kyteler's beer garden would be hard to beat when watching a match. It gets a fantastic little atmosphere going when there's a few people in there.
    Alternatively, look at Left Bank or Paris Texas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kytlers gets my vote, great atmosphere :)

Advertisement