Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you find out which wire is live?

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm putting in some new socket plates and some new ceiling lights at home. Some of the old plates I replaced were marked N and L so that was handy enough but some others aren't. The ceiling lights are another story. I'm replacing the standard bulb/lamp shade set up with chandeliers and need to know which wire coming from the ceiling is the live one. There are two...both grey. What tool would you recommend for testing which is the live one? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

oH dear, best to get a qualified sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Z0MGJ.jpg
    Mains tester? €2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Don't use your tongue!

OP?

You there?

****! We lost one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Turn on the switch, stand in a puddle, grab the bare ends of both wires and note whether the current runs from your left to your right hand or the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

peckerhead wrote: »
    Turn on the switch, stand in a puddle, grab the bare ends of both wires and note whether the current runs from your left to your right hand or the opposite.

It changes direction 100 times a second, so good luck with that one:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It changes direction 100 times a second, so good luck with that one:D

You will have to compare exit and entry burns then :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

beazee wrote: »
    Z0MGJ.jpg
    Mains tester? €2?
    These devices are not reliable, do not trust them.
    Many building sites have banned them as they have caused so many accidents.

Proffesssional electricians use proper test equipment for this purpose.
    I use a Fluke 375

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DannySparks

2011 wrote: »

I use a Fluke 375

out of interest, what sites/contractors have banned them?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

out of interest, what sites/contractors have banned them?
    The projects I have seen them (and Stanley carpet knives BTW) banned on in Ireland include Dublin Airport, IFSC, Tallaght Hospital, several large pharmaceutical plants (that I have signed confidentiality contracts with) and Indaver.

Abroad I worked on projects for Shell, Siemens, Elf Oil, Du Pont as well as a few others. They would not permit these "phase testers" and I agree with them. I have seen them illuminate when connected to a known earth as though it were live and not illuminate when connected to a cable I know to be at 230VAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I have seen them illuminate when connected to a known earth
    Where was that installation and how old it was? More likely installation needs a proper check.
    as though it were live and not illuminate when connected to a cable I know to be at 230VAC.
    Wet your finger, change your shoes

• Advertisement

beazee wrote: »
    Where was that installation and how old it was? More likely installation needs a proper check.

The installation did need a proper check as it was a new installation.
    I tested it with proper test equipment and this verified that it fully complied with the ETCI regulations.

It is quite simple, proper test equipment when dealing with mains voltage or you are taking a chance.

A quick Google search with show many examples of how unreliable and potentially dangerous these devices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

O'Prez wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm putting in some new socket plates and some new ceiling lights at home. Some of the old plates I replaced were marked N and L so that was handy enough but some others aren't. The ceiling lights are another story. I'm replacing the standard bulb/lamp shade set up with chandeliers and need to know which wire coming from the ceiling is the live one. There are two...both grey. What tool would you recommend for testing which is the live one? Thanks :)

have you got an earth wire there.........???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I use a Fluke 375

+1

At the City and guilds course i attended,the textbook we were using told was that the best place for these,and i'm directly quoting, was "at the bottom of a lake". I always use a multimeter.

Out of curiosity, what City & Guilds course?
    I did 2 of them myself, don't hear of anyone doing them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Out of curiosity, what City & Guilds course?
    I did 2 of them myself, don't hear of anyone doing them anymore.

http://www.cit.ie/course/CREEICC6

General course with a focus on testing, found it good as testing covered by fas is brutal to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

make sure you are switched off......connect the earth wire and one of the other wires to the old light......switch back on...if it works..then you have found the live wire.....if not it must be the other wire..switch of connect and try that one...

switch off and put tape around the live one.....make sure that the fitting is earthed, if it has an earth connection...

you have also proved then, that the earth wire is there to keep you safe.....

make sure you are switched off......connect the earth wire and one of the other wires to the old light......switch back on...if it works..then you have found the live wire.....if not it must be the other wire..switch of connect and try that one...
    If the light "works" you have just send a current down the earth. This could make the touch voltage rise on extraneous conductive parts throughout the installation to dangerous levels. Not recommended to use an earth as a neutral in this way. There is no substitute for proper test equipment and training.

From the information provided there is no way to know the what the standard of the electrical installation is.
    :eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

+1

At the City and guilds course i attended,the textbook we were using told was that the best place for these,and i'm directly quoting, was "at the bottom of a lake". I always use a multimeter.

Multimeters can be misleading too. Intuition is needed with any testing device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if it's an earthed metal fitting i would do a fault loop impedance test if there's any doubt on wiring

pendant or plastic fitting replacement
    —colours same,no cpc
    —non contact voltage indicator and flick light switch to determine phase/line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

switch off and put tape around the live one.....make sure that the fitting is earthed, if it has an earth connection...

seriously insane advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 kieran24883

totally agree with, dont listen to cowboys!! get a qualified spark in, certain things you should never cut corners in and this would be one, i charge 30 quid to call out and put up a standard chandeliar(standard being very little to no assembly) cant see a this costing u much, assuming your new fitting is metal you have to have an earth wire, madness to attempt this on your own if you are in doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

golden lane, your recent advice on this forum falls a little short on the health and safety side, regardless if this is intentional or deliberate please stop.

Advertisement