Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non accredited Level 8 Quantities and estimating

• 02-05-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all
    I was looking into the possibility of doing a level 8 honours degree in quantities and estimating. There is a one year add on degree being run in GMIT Galway but it is awaiting accreditation.I was wondering is that a major problem and whether i should do the course there or not for that reason.Hopefully people that has been down this road before will know better than i do.Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wingawongawoo

Accreditation is a funny thing, really. Some professions require it, some don't. I had a title from Engineers Ireland for a while, but once your career is established it becomes much less important. Even in the sector I was working in, well under half of the professionals I worked with has letters after their name from accrediting bodies.

The degree you're thinking of doing will be "accredited" in the sense that it is a recognised degree in the framework of qualifications, so you have no worries in that sense I'd imagine. GMIT couldn't run a degree that wasn't properly recognised that way.

But for "professional accrediation" from somewhere like the Engineers Ireland or RICS, then I think degress have to be assessed seperately to the framework for qualifications. I was in a situation like that in college, and I think we were told that the degree has to be running for a few years before it can be accredited, just so the professional bodes have a record of what the degree is like over a bit of time rather than jumping straight in without any track record. How long has the degree you're looking at been run? If it's fairly new, don't expect accreditaion for a few years, but when it comes I'm fairly sure you can get the letters after your name retrospectively

• Registered Users Posts: 17 papa john

This coming september will be the first year that the course will be running.They are currently seeking recognition from the chartered surveyors in ireland and the uk. If you get retrospective recognition then it would be fine but im not sure of that.

Advertisement