Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible videogame movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have a 1080p rip of Dead or Alive and I stick it on from time to time, only for 5-10 minutes at a time though

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah that scene with holly valances bra was about the only good thing to come out of that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The thing about the DoA movie was the fact that the actresses didn't exactly...ummm... fill the roles. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Max Payne is on my list to watch, heard it was awful but want to get in the mood for Max Payne 3.

I thought Silent Hill was really good, looking forward to the next one as well.

I recommend watching the cutscenes from Max Payne 1 (and possibly 2) to get into the mood for max payne 3, available on youtube.

Silent Hill was actually one of the better movie adaptations and its worth a watch. It doesn't take from any one silent movie, but elements from the first 3

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think they should make a Skyrim movie. The first 15 minutes could be an epic escape from a dragon with excellent actors, and then the main character could wander around talking to people and making swords for another 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Theres a Wing Commander movie, caught it one night in Syfy, its watchable i suppose.

Better than the tripe above :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I think they should make a Skyrim movie. The first 15 minutes could be an epic escape from a dragon with excellent actors, and then the main character could wander around talking to people and making swords for another 2 hours.

Don't forget the flower-picking. No other game in history has boasted that it features flower-picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Red Faction was respectable, and House of the Dead 2 was a step above the original - not that that'd be particularly hard.
    There was a Red Faction movie?

I quite liked some fo the films mentioned here. Doom and Wing Commander were grand films. Nothing special, but a bit of fun if there's nothing else to do with your time.

Double Dragon should be added to the list of bad fighting game to movies. It's just shockingly bad. Although it does almost have that "so bad it's good" quality, so it may be inhanced by drugs and/or alcohol.

The Prince of Persia game wasn't too bad. It was well put together, which is rare for a lot of game adaptations.

And what about the Assassin's Creed short films? Are they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I could probably count the amount of good videogame movies on one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I could probably count the amount of good videogame movies on one hand.

A hand which at some point lost several fingers in a freak accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Dead or alive has to be on of the worst films. They have a shot where through camera goes 360 around each character holding the wrong gun during a fight with a horde of zombies.
    The resident evils are getting or past the point where you think your watching the sci fi channel. The giant with the hammer in the last one just brutal but i still march them.
    A new silent hill movie will be out in October this year and i think its based on the 3rd silent hill as Heather is the main character.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Dead or alive has to be on of the worst films. They have a shot where through camera goes 360 around each character holding the wrong gun during a fight with a horde of zombies.

That's House of the dead, and when I saw it in the cinema the entire crowd audibly groaned at that shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

the biggest video-game to movie crime was the fact that George Romero was supposed to be originally involved with first resident evil film.

Think Mortal Kombat was mentioned here but I think its a great film. Must have watched it at least 15 times before me da brought it back to the video shop. Don't know what this says about me though.

That's House of the dead, and when I saw it in the cinema the entire crowd audibly groaned at that shot :)

Sorry meant that film but it still hurts me i can't even write it as i had to watch it in clips as it was so bad. Sorry you saw it in the cinema as it still pains me thinking of that masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

I was surprised how decent the silent hill movie was, it was pretty incoherent but the music and atmosphere was great.

They should do a guitar hero movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

They should do a guitar hero movie

They probably wouldn't be able to do it any better than that one south park episode, Guitar Queer-O

The worst grossing film is postal by uwe boll grossing for the first year 146,741 dollars worldwide.
    Must say that i never heard of the game or film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Ian7 wrote: »
    the biggest video-game to movie crime was the fact that George Romero was supposed to be originally involved with first resident evil film.

I've read the script of that (it's easy to find on the aul interwebs) and it stuck very close to the game. At the time I thought this was a good thing but now I'm not so sure. I've watched all of the RE films several times and taken for what they are - inane, OTT silliness - then they are actually good craic (especially the last 2 which totally free themselves from the games' universe). I think if you take that kind of subject-matter too seriously it would end up looking pretty daft.

I did think the Silent Hill film was very good but then I've never played much of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

penev10 wrote: »
    I think if you take that kind of subject-matter too seriously it would end up looking pretty daft.

:D George Romero's films aren't exactly serious in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That guy, i have no idea where he gets funded from but the list of atrocities he calls films is enormous, every single one of them are ghastly!

Interesting sotry behind him.
    Video Game IPs are one of the cheapest IPs to buy the rights to make a movie for.

He then shoots the films in Germany where film makers receive massive tax breaks and incentives.

Video Game IPs typically have a pre determined market and following and require low cost marketing

The film is there realesed. Because much of the cost is claimed back through tax breaks and incentives much of the money taken in seats is prtty mucn net profit.

He then walks into the sunshine with a massive cheque.

From my understanding he made so much profit from doing this the first two times , he began funding the projects himself to receive even higher tax breaks and evn more income.

This law is/has been changed as government officials in Germany were outraged that he was making pure trash and using a loopole to make massive profits.

He has not and probably will not make one again.

There was a cool interview during Blizzcon a few years back where Mike Morhaim unveiled that Boll had approached Blizzard with an offer for the move rights to World of Warcraft to which they immediatly responded "We'd rather make it ourselves then give it to you"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kolido wrote: »

this is a much better Pacman mock film

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not understanding the hate for Mortal Kombat, it was a great film, the fight scene with Scorpion and Johnny Cage is epic (Fear Factory ftw!).

And Christopher Lambert! "The fate of billions will depend upon you, heh heh heh... Sorry" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't know what the **** they were thinking when they made this:

They were thinking "F|_|CK YEAH! LETS MAKE A LEGENDARY FILM YEAH, YEAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Not understanding the hate for Mortal Kombat, it was a great film, the fight scene with Scorpion and Johnny Cage is epic (Fear Factory ftw!).

And Christopher Lambert! "The fate of billions will depend upon you, heh heh heh... Sorry" :pac:

Couldn't agree more. It's a classic film. Sure it's corny, it's special effects are dodgy, and it's not exactly Oscar-winning stuff. But hell, it's a fun action flick based on a fighting game. It's got kung fu, magic, one-liners, Kano's accent, and asians with mullets. What more could you possibly want from an early 90's game-based movie?

Aslo, on a side note; has anyone mentioned the Prince of Persia movie yet? No? Good. Don't mention it. Just let it rot there and forget it ever happened instead. *shudders....*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Mortal Kombat is basically just Enter The Dragon with magical ninjas, sorcerers and parallel dimensions.

That's a winner in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Ian7 wrote: »
    :D George Romero's films aren't exactly serious in fairness.
    The subject matter isn't, by its very nature, but the tone of his films are never light-hearted or skitish and are usually brimful of satire, social commentary and morality issues.

The whole Umbrella corporation thing is so farcical you could never take anything but an intetentionally kitch approach to the adaptation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

George A. Romero directing a movie of a video game based off of his own material... o.O

I think the Prince of Persia movie was by far the best movie adaption made to date. The FF movies and Halo Movie were also superb, though I found (as have others) FFVII: AC very uninteresting and extremely difficult to follow unless you've played FFVII.

The best Video Game based movie by far, which no one has yet to mention, is definitely a toss up between MSG4 and Heavy Rain. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The Tekken movie is so dreadful it comes free on the 3DS cartridge. Mega Man was a very poor attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like the MK movie. It's really stupid and cheap but with some good fight scenes. Considering the MK series at that point was a poor cheap fighting game clone, the b-movie action fitted the game quite well.

Advertisement