Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible videogame movies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I like the MK movie. It's really stupid and cheap but with some good fight scenes. Considering the MK series at that point was a poor cheap fighting game clone, the b-movie action fighted the game quite well.

The Scorpion vs Johnny Cage fight was the highlight for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

TheDoc wrote: »
    Interesting sotry behind him.
    Video Game IPs are one of the cheapest IPs to buy the rights to make a movie for.

He then shoots the films in Germany where film makers receive massive tax breaks and incentives.

Similar situation in the UK, years ago. The linked article, by the BBC's Adam Curtis is well worth a read and quite surreal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/12/the_bitch_the_stud_and_the_pra.html

The scam allowed the birth of this *cough* 'gem' in British film history.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0271445/
    A pub owner purchases a giant shrimp that has washed up on the English shore, teaches it to box, and hits the road in search of fame and fortune.

prawncomp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How about a movie based around Dance Dance Revolution type games?

The FP
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1296373/
    I would dig up the trailer but I'm at work so can't at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How about a movie based around Dance Dance Revolution type games?

The FP
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1296373/
    I would dig up the trailer but I'm at work so can't at the moment

If we're digging into that territory, then there's also this tripe:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441796/

I tried watching it last night. I had to turn it off after about 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They should make Streets Of Rage, the movie.

With The Rock as Max. The rest of the cast/plot/whatever, no care.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

They should just make a new Streets of Rage game! :D

Max? As far as I remember it was Adam, Axel and Blaze right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111302/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Max? As far as I remember it was Adam, Axel and Blaze right?

Max was the wrestling guy in 2.

If you're not picking Blaze, you're not playing it right :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

deathrider wrote: »
    If you're not picking Blaze, you're not playing it right :P

As long as you aren't picking Skate all's well.

Sorry-ass replacement for the man would could uppercut half a dozen thugs at the same time and roundhouse them all about 40 feet away.

Also this is now a SoR thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

What about the original mortal kombat tv series. That was not the best but the super Mario series with the fat plumber at the start then the carton kicks in after 5 minutes.
    I want a monkey island. or a live sonic film as good as the turtles.

Wasn't a huge fan of Streets of Rage 2. The first one was the first game i ever played with an alternate ending.
    Who here had the megadrive 6-in-1 cartridge with SoR on?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I kinda liked the Dead or Alive movie. I got it for only a couple of euro and made sure not to take any of it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I actually though Doom and the first Resi were ok. All the Resi's after that though just get progressively worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

That reminds me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Pokemon Movie was pretty decent as a kid :P , at least it stayed completely true to it's source haha :D

And I actually really enjoyed Hitman :o:D, though I'm sure most here thought it was awful.

The Street Fighter movies are crap too.....with the exception of SF2 : The Animated Movie, which is possibly the best video game based film ever ;):D (the scene with Fei Long and Ryu)
    For anyone who hasn't seen it, you should !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The guy doing Ryu's voice makes Rocky Balboa sound like Stephen Fry. Honestly, if he went 'Nyuh, Nyuh' for the whole movie, I'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference. Excellent otherwise, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just watched MK again recently, really recommend it if people haven't seen it.

I heard Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li was pretty bad, anyone seen it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The guy doing Ryu's voice makes Rocky Balboa sound like Stephen Fry. Honestly, if he went 'Nyuh, Nyuh' for the whole movie, I'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference. Excellent otherwise, though.

Probably as well watching it in Japanese with english subs, first clip I found of the scene on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Loved the first Resident Evil movie, the rest are pants except for the latest one which I thought was good after she lost her power at the start and just became normal again, I think most the movies downfalls are the pointless cramming of featured characters into them. I thought Resident Evil Degeneration (animation) was pretty awesome.

I thought Final Fantasy the Spirits Within was absolute aweful, I sat down to watch it as a kid after experiencing FF7 & maybe 8, cant remem that far back but I remember just sitting there on my todd thinking to myself "wtf is this sh1t?". I have to say I thought Advent Children was amazing though.

I am in the middle of watching the Devil May Cry series and while some episodes are not as good as others and it starts off pretty slow it has me hooked!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Advent Children is an absolute abomination. It might be pretty but it's utterly vapid. The Story is utter gash making every mistake a sequel can make including having the hero's issues being unresolved despite them being resolved in the previous one and bringing back clearly dead characters. It's a terrible piece of fan fiction designed to steal money from fanboys that should know better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think they should make a Skyrim movie. The first 15 minutes could be an epic escape from a dragon with excellent actors, and then the main character could wander around talking to people and making swords for another 2 hours.

Game of Thrones is basically the world of Skyrim but with more violence, nudity and narrative momentum. And Tyrian Lancaster, of course. Bethesda ripped off all manner of formulaic fantasy with the Elder Scrolls, but there are a plethora of similarities in Skryim to GoT that aren't easy to ignore.

I'm still holding out faith that Takeshi Miike's Phoenix Wright adaptation will be the joy many have said it is. Although those unfamiliar with the game tend to be less favourable. Will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Advent Children is an absolute abomination. It might be pretty but it's utterly vapid. The Story is utter gash making every mistake a sequel can make including having the hero's issues being unresolved despite them being resolved in the previous one and bringing back clearly dead characters. It's a terrible piece of fan fiction designed to steal money from fanboys that should know better.

sounds like a perfect Final Fantasy adaptation then :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

krudler wrote: »
    sounds like a perfect Final Fantasy adaptation then :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:
    The spirits within was decent, Retro is right though Advent children was pure crap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just watched MK again recently, really recommend it if people haven't seen it.

I have.

If you're one of these people that enjoy bad- I mean, really bad- films, go for it.

The only saving grace is that Chris Klein is clearly aware he's in a pile of **** and delivers some incredibly funny lines because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Halo: Landfall shows what a Halo movie could have been; the director went on to direct District 9, and almost a year was spent in pre-production, which yielding more or less the following results. Gutted that it only ever got that far...

Also, the Halo Reach 'Deliver Hope' trailer deserves a mention as a powerful preview of what a Halo movie could be. Halo's universe and story arc is better than 90% of what passes for Sci-Fi these days on a Hollywood level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sheehy83 wrote: »

It is, without doubt, a terrible movie, but I have to concede that it's watchable. By no means the worst video game movie ever.

• Advertisement

I recently realised that I own King of Fighters on Blu-Ray, I'm assuming that like many others it was purchased after a slew of beers.

Decided to throw the film on tonight expecting at the very least a few decent fights. Something you'd expect given the director and certain cast members. Unfortunately as a film, it fails on every conceiveable level. The script is a joke, there's no story here and the entire 90 minutes or so doesn't have enough material for a pre opening credits scene on a generic tv show.

The acting is equally poor with the cast delivering stilted lines of dialogue with all the enthusiasm of ordering cheap take out. It doesn't help that most dialogue is exposition or woeful one liners.

At the very least you'd expect some decent action from a film titled King of Fighters. But no someone decided that poorly choreographed fights, editing that lacks any sense of rhythm and framing that cuts out most of what's occurring was the order of the day. Honestly, there's not a single thing to like or enjoy here and the whole thing just feels insulting. It also features the worst greenscreen effect I've seen in years. The final scene looks like itwas shot in a garage.

Advertisement