Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two year calf to beef!

• 02-05-2012 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Well everyone? Im currently in 2nd studying agriculture and am studying for my exams. I was looking through beef notes and one thing came up in the 2 year calf to beef section saying ''for every day delayed in housing from mid November you lose 2 days on turnout date in spring!''
    I was just wondering if anyone knew why this was??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

by letting cattle eat grass in the late autumn you lose growth in the spring. and you will be carrying less grass over to the spingtime.
    A days grazing in the late autumn will delay turning cattle out therefore by two days.

Its late so if that doesnt make sense say so and I (or somebody else) will put it a better way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

fields should carry a small amount of cover over the winter so that when temps increase in spring and growth gets going there is no delay waiting for the grass leaf to 5cm tall which is the slowest part of the growth cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

This would occur where a farmer was running drystock over all the farm until late autaum or in a paddock system where a farmer continues to graze paddocks that he last grazed in early October.
    In the first situtation cattle will be eating regrowths and depleting root reserves thus grass will take longer to recover and in the second situtation the paddocks that had regrown would be the first grazed in the spring but would now not be available

Advertisement