Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating one subject and reapplied for CAO

• 02-05-2012 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

hi, im just making inquiry. Last year 2011, i sat my leaving Cert and got results I was very happy however i got a C1 OL Maths. I have Reapplied to CAO and my first request requires a B3 OL as a minimun requirement hence I find myself repeating maths and have been given a new LC number and CAO number. What I want to know will I get offers from the CAO combining my last year results and my result in maths this year. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭justBlake

im also considering repeating just maths nxt year but havnt a clue how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Your grade in Maths is separate to your points from your last LC. You can't combine the points from 5 previous subjects and the new Maths points. To paraphrase my old guidance teacher "your points are taken from one sitting and one sitting only, you can sit it hundreds of times but your points will only be taken from the best one of those sittings".

The new Maths grade would be like a passport, allowing you to be considered for the course, but it can't be mixed with your previous points.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

sound man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

bscm wrote: »
    Your grade in Maths is separate to your points from your last LC. You can't combine the points from 5 previous subjects and the new Maths points. To paraphrase my old guidance teacher "your points are taken from one sitting and one sitting only, you can sit it hundreds of times but your points will only be taken from the best one of those sittings".

The new Maths grade would be like a passport, allowing you to be considered for the course, but it can't be mixed with your previous points.

Wait, so does that mean if you only repeated one subject, thats all you would have to show for your leaving cert?
    And that thats all unis would look at for getting into a course?
    How do you get in anywhere then?

Im confused .. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

biohaiid wrote: »
    Wait, so does that mean if you only repeated one subject, thats all you would have to show for your leaving cert?
    And that thats all unis would look at for getting into a course?
    How do you get in anywhere then?

Im confused .. :/

Your points from the best/only sitting of your LC will show up, regardless of what you do this year.

Let's say you got 350 points in the LC last year. You end up getting 60 points in Maths this year, which is 10 higher than your worst subject counted in your points (eg Business). You can't swap Business for Maths and get 360 points. The college will see 350 points and that you meet requirements.

Points are taken from your best sitting of the LC.
    (e.g. 2010: 300,
    2011: 350...
    Points the college and CAO will use: 350)

Course requirements can be taken from multiple sittings.
    (e.g. 2011: pass in French and English,
    2012: pass in Maths...
    Colleges will see: pass in French, English and Maths)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

bscm wrote: »
    Your points from the best/only sitting of your LC will show up, regardless of what you do this year.

Let's say you got 350 points in the LC last year. You end up getting 60 points in Maths this year, which is 10 higher than your worst subject counted in your points (eg Business). You can't swap Business for Maths and get 360 points. The college will see 350 points and that you meet requirements.

Points are taken from your best sitting of the LC.
    (e.g. 2010: 300,
    2011: 350...
    Points the college and CAO will use: 350)

Course requirements can be taken from multiple sittings.
    (e.g. 2011: pass in French and English,
    2012: pass in Maths...
    Colleges will see: pass in French, English and Maths)

Oh okay, I think I understand now.

Advertisement