Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a coffee scene in Ireland?

• 02-05-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I lived in Dublin for a few years when in college and moved to New York when I graduated last year. I've liked coffee for years but knew very little about it even despite working as a barista in a coffee shop in Dublin. I knew that most of the coffee I was drinking regularly was for the most part poor in quality but as I was never really exposed to high quality coffee I didn't really care, it tasted good enough to drink so I was happy. Anyway long story short I now work as a full time barista at one of the most popular cafe's in New York and sort of fell in to it through a far lesser known coffee job I had over here. The cafe I work for is called La'Colombe and is also a very successful roasting company and has been around since the early 90's. Anyway now that I know a bit about coffee and am fortunate enough to work in a place that does some of the best coffee in NYC I am wondering what is going on with coffee back home. I never knew anything about it while I was living back there and I am wondering are there any really good coffee places in Dublin? Even in NY good coffee is still a relatively new wave here and something that has only started to boom in recent years. The West Coast and Seattle have been famous for its coffee culture long before NY and roasting companies are only recently starting to crop up in NY. Bluebottle and Stumptown are two of the very well known coffee roasters that have set up in NY. Anyway since none of my friends back home know much about coffee I thought I would ask on here.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Phil92

3FE (Third Floor Espresso) are considered to be particularly good, they now have two cafes in Dublin.

http://3fe.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

There are a few places that over the last while have really made efforts to improve the whole thing: The Bald Barista and Nick's, for example.
    3fe however, is incredibly good, and incredibly devoted. I've never had better espresso, Italy pales in comparison!

Cinnamon in Ranelagh now stock and use hasbean beans though, so I must pop in someday and check out how good their baristas are :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cinnamon is more of a restaurant than a cafe IMO,

I'd mention Brother Hubbards and coffee Angel as well as those mentioned above as places to get good coffee in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Perdit

Espresso Project in Celbridge are pulling some of the best single origin espresso shots to be had in this country on a brand new Kees van der Westen machine - these guys really know how to tweak their shots to extract everything the bean has to offer. It's worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Perdit wrote: »
    Espresso Project in Celbridge are pulling some of the best single origin espresso shots to be had in this country on a brand new Kees van der Westen machine - these guys really know how to tweak their shots to extract everything the bean has to offer. It's worth a visit.

They do excellent coffee! Was walking down main street celbridge earlier today and their "Ridiculously Good Coffee" sign outside attracted my attention so I popped in and got a decaff latte... Seriously, the best decaff I've ever had. Friendly folks there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

yeah, discovered espresso project in celbridge , really good espresso - badger and dodo beans :) - cool lads that work there - know there stuff
    bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

They're opening another Espresso Project up in Maynooth, so I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Perdit

Last time I visited, I had a really nice S.O. espresso - it was a honey processed coffee from El Salvador. It was roasted by Coffee Mojo, an Irish coffee roaster based in Wicklow.

Advertisement