Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aliens .......?

• 02-05-2012 1:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

not illegal ones........:p

but of the E.T. variety...........do you believe in them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Of course. are they here? I'd love to believe so but sadly can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

MidlandsM wrote: »
    not illegal ones........:p

but of the E.T. variety...........do you believe in them?

I believe that life outside of Earth is a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The E.T. variety would be illegal too.

Oh they think they're fancy with their anal probes and their tractor beams but Mitt Romney would still send 'em back where they came from!

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The E.T. variety would be illegal too.

Oh they think they're fancy with their anal probes and their tractor beams but Mitt Romney would still send 'em back where they came from!

...after attending the horses and cutting his grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Awaits believers and non believers to kill each other over this............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

It'd be a little silly to think we are the only beings in a universe as vast as ours. They are probably no different to ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I welcome our new alien overlords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Yea, it's only a matter time before we find bacteria on another planet, therefore proving the existence of alien life. I really hope we find a planet where they're like us only 1,000 years ahead, that would be cool. I'd be asking them to send over a Ps6000 for sure.

and robot lovedolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

I heard before that there are 6 billion stars in our galaxy with planetary systems like ours... surely there is (or was) at least primitive life on some of those planets.
    As for intelligent aliens/ more complex life... less likely obviously, but I believe that complex life definitely exists elsewhere in the universe, and probably in our galaxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The visiting anal probing kind, no but life outside of earth, yup. The size of the known universe is simply mind blowingly bonkers big, has to be something else somewhere. I just hope it's not the chestburster/cocoon you for food kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

markc1184 wrote: »
    It'd be a little silly to think we are the only beings in a universe as vast as ours.
    Indeed, considering the size of the universe, it seems likely that there are other planets that could sustain life. Where on the development they'd be is a hypothetical. One of little importance considering the vastness of space and how long it would take to travel between the stars.
    They are probably no different to ourselves.
    Can't really agree with this. Hell, if the reset button was pressed on this planet, and some event that drastically changed things here hasn't happened, say the extinction of the dinosaurs hadn't happened, or any number of other things, life on this planet would look nothing like it does now. So, our own planet being as it is isn't necessarily the only way this could have played out, and that said, how could another planet on which adaptation would play out differently be just like ours? Very anthropomorphic view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

and robot lovedolls

Speaking of robot lovedolls did anyone else see that episode of The Big Bang theory where the robot hand got stuck to howard's knob? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Saw a couple of Anonymous vids recently where they claimed they'd hacked in to NASA's systems and were going to release all the data, including the proven existence of advanced civilisations beyond Earth and which NASA have known about for decades.

Anon say they'll release the data in the coming weeks.

Could be a load of bollix but interesting none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

I for one welcome our new alien overlords.

My bad.

Enough already.

Atari Jaguar.

I come in peace, shoot to kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yea, it's only a matter time before we find bacteria on another planet, therefore proving the existence of alien life. I really hope we find a planet where they're like us only 1,000 years ahead, that would be cool. I'd be asking them to send over a Ps6000 for sure.

and robot lovedolls
    Realise that, realistically, they could be hundreds of millions of years ahead of us and you're going to be their new plaything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Yes I do believe there is possibly some form of live on other planets or moons(like Europa)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

do you believe in them?

Of course they exist. Its not a matter of belief. The question is are they close enough to warrant investigation however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes.

How arrogant of humanity to think that, one one planet of an ordinary G2 Yellow star, in a large galaxy with billions of other stars and probably trillions of planets around these stars, that we are the only example of intelligent life that has developed technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

waiting for the day when i log on to after hours and see the thread title " MOTHERSHIP LANDS IN MEXICO" or some such city. communication will probably break down and the net will be taken off line.
    that'll be mad.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Indeed, considering the size of the universe, it seems likely that there are other planets that could sustain life. Where on the development they'd be is a hypothetical. One of little importance considering the vastness of space and how long it would take to travel between the stars. Can't really agree with this. Hell, if the reset button was pressed on this planet, and some event that drastically changed things here hasn't happened, say the extinction of the dinosaurs hadn't happened, or any number of other things, life on this planet would look nothing like it does now. So, our own planet being as it is isn't necessarily the only way this could have played out, and that said, how could another planet on which adaptation would play out differently be just like ours? Very anthropomorphic view

I'd be betting a lot of intelligent aliens around the universe would have found a shape similar to us. It is great for running, sitting and walking, and frees up our hands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RichieC wrote: »
    I'd be betting a lot of intelligent aliens around the universe would have found a shape similar to us. It is great for running, sitting and walking, and frees up our hands.

Possibly, but maybe there's elements in other galaxies that don't exist in this one. Maybe life doesn't need things like light or water to exist. I believe there's some bacteria that can survive in sulfuric acid alone happy out.

So maybe other life forms could be entirely composed of gas and electrical currents and other such fantastical things I can't comprehend in my limited capacity.

Ha, thats a good one. Would you reckon they have noses like ours too? To better support glasses? :pac:

Just in case your post wasn't a joke, or alternatively for the benefit of people who take this perspective seriously, how life evolves doesn't happen in a way approximating how one would go window shopping. Life adapts. If we weren't bipeds you would find our technology would reflect that. And this idea extends beyond technology to all aspects of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Ha, thats a good one. Would you reckon they have noses like ours too? To better support glasses? :pac:

Just in case your post wasn't a joke, or alternatively for the benefit of people who take this perspective seriously, how life evolves doesn't happen in a way approximating how one would go window shopping. Life adapts. If we weren't bipeds you would find our technology would reflect that. And this idea extends beyond technology to all aspects of life.

Nah.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Nah.
    Nah what? Care to elaborate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Possibly, but maybe there's elements in other galaxies that don't exist in this one. Maybe life doesn't need things like light or water to exist. I believe there's some bacteria that can survive in sulfuric acid alone happy out.

So maybe other life forms could be entirely composed of gas and electrical currents and other such fantastical things I can't comprehend in my limited capacity.
    have you seen what sulphuric acid does to sugar ?

sucks the water out it, all the water, you are left with just carbon
    bacteria can live in acidic conditions but not at stupidly extreme ones

you are proposing new elements when life here only uses a hand full of them

carbon is rare on earth but life is based on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It is absurd to think that there are not aliens. Given the size of the universe, why would earth be the only place with life?

The chances of them ever coming into contact with us are probably infinitesimal though. Again - huge universe. Lots of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Jimdagym wrote: »

Nah.

Yes there probably are lifeforms out there, but, if they are at the same tech level we are at, its fairly moot. If there are highly tech advanced races they may well be studying us the way anthropologists study apes.

SD

Maybe it was arsenic this bacteria lived on? I don't remember really *googles* ah yes, arsenic :Dhttp://www.space.com/9631-arsenic-eating-bacteria-opens-possibilities-alien-life.html

In addition to the new elements I'm proposing, I'd like to propose the probabilities of life in the other dimensions but we'll probably never meet them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think you're right. There is a perfect 'form' in every ecosystem that is perfectly adapted. This has been seen on earth. Wolfs are canines yet the Tasmanian tiger was a marsupial. They both have the same body form and same rank in the food chain, yet are totally different species.
    This is also true in madagascar where the role of the hedgehog is taken over by a type of bush baby. They both have the same spiny body and fill the same gap in the ecosystem but are completely different genetically.
    So I think intelligent life does exist but it needs a body form like ours to achieve this technological advancement and intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Well Lake Mono in the states was the location, where in 2010 Nasa discovered arsenic based bacteria...Before this was discovered, people thought such lifeforms were impossible on earth.

Believe there is an episode of Discovery's "Through The Wormhole" about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its almost a certainty that some planet somewhere either in the known universe or somewhere man will never see or know about contains life, this picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Hubble_ultra_deep_field.jpg

is the hubble ultra deep field, its approx 10,000 galaxys, each containing their own number of stars, ours contains something like 400 billion stars, then multiply that by 10,000, some galaxies can contain a trillion stars. thats mind boggling when you start to think about it.
    if there were no other intelligent life out there, it'd be an awful waste of space.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »

is the hubble ultra deep field, its approx 10,000 galaxys, each containing their own number of stars, ours contains something like 400 billion stars, then multiply that by 10,000, some galaxies can contain a trillion stars. thats mind boggling when you start to think about it.
    if there were no other intelligent life out there, it'd be an awful waste of space.

Ya I like to think that life itself is very easy to "begin" and will do given the right conditions which I also like to think exists frequently throughout the universe. Just the sheer scale of the thing makes it impossible to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I would say the possibility of microorganisms existing in our solar system is quite high. But I believe complex life is probably very very rare and I doubt that any are visiting earth unless they happen to be very local within tens of light years which is very unlikely. Complex societies may exist elsewhere, but it is very unlikely they would even know our star exists let alone us. The chances of that are minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Sindri wrote: »
    I would say the possibility of microorganisms existing in our solar system is quite high. But I believe complex life is probably very very rare and I doubt that any are visiting earth unless they happen to be very local within tens of light years which is very unlikely. Complex societies may exist elsewhere, but it is very unlikely they would even know our star exists let alone us. The chances of that are minute.

But surely if complex societies exist elsewhere, it could be hypothesised that they are tens of thousands of years ahead of us in terms of technology and quite capable of advanced space travel? Although I guess you could ask then why havent they made contact.. they could be just observing us first *shady eyes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

But surely if complex societies exist elsewhere, it could be hypothesised that they are tens of thousands of years ahead of us in terms of technology and quite capable of advanced space travel? Although I guess you could ask then why havent they made contact.. they could be just observing us first *shady eyes*

Yes that is possible but they would have to find us first. Only in the last hundred years have we (civilization) been detectable and that will soon end as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

The human race is the most technologically advanced lifeform in the universe, that's a fact!

We are the 'Masters of the Universe'

Anyone disputing, then show me the evidence, there is none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

No.we are alone.we will always be alone doomed to our own existence that we will eventually wipe out anyway.

Tea anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sindri wrote: »
    I would say the possibility of microorganisms existing in our solar system is quite high. But I believe complex life is probably very very rare
    +1 and intelligent life even rarer still. For most of the history of this planet it was microorganisms that held sway. Complex life was a freak event it seems. Intelligent life? Just the one event. Us. Even earlier humans while being intelligent seemed to lack that X factor we have. I'd reckon intelligent life is gonna be vanishingly rare out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Maybe it was arsenic this bacteria lived on? I don't remember really *googles* ah yes, arsenic :Dhttp://www.space.com/9631-arsenic-eating-bacteria-opens-possibilities-alien-life.html

In addition to the new elements I'm proposing, I'd like to propose the probabilities of life in the other dimensions but we'll probably never meet them.
    yeah there's earthworms in the UK who use arsenic too

other poisons like cyanide, carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulphide are only toxic to aerobic organisms and IIRC mice can survive because they can release these gases through their skin

stuff strontium gets into bone because it's similar to calcium, but this sort of stuff is more a tolerance than life using it totally in place of the usual ingredients

however, trace elements are likely to be a bigger problem if we met an ET, large parts of the world are unsuitable for cattle because of lack of them and places where there is a small excess might be unsuitable for us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

MidlandsM wrote: »
    do you believe in them?

Depends what you mean by "believe in them".

I certainly find it a credible claim if that is what you mean. There is nothing that incredible about life and the constituents of life on which to be that amazed or shocked at its existence and given the size of the universe the likelihood of the existence of more of it than just us seems credible.

That does not change the fact that the evidence that there IS life elsewhere is currently zilch. Highly credible claims do not mean the claims are evidenced.

Take the claim there is a god for example. This is not only unevidenced but also there are no arguments at present establishing it as credible.

The claim there may be life elsewhere however has one clear argument for it's credibility. Us. We exist therefore life exists. This is a good step up in credibility. We have no such evidence or arguments to support the credibility of a god claim however.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

There's definitely life out there, I just don't think we'll discover it for hundreds of years. It's a shame, I'd like to be in the generation that discovers any form of alien life on another planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Watched Signs last night before bed on DVD. Just for an interesting factoid there. Anyway, I think Stephen Hawking has said before that we shouldn't be too eager in trying to find Alien civilizations out there in the stars. Our own history shows that, when a more advanced group comes across a less advanced one, the result is usually the less advanced one being wiped out or exploited.

I believe there is the possibility that Alien life exists, but it may be totally at odds with our concept of life. This documentary is well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

As posters have already said. Yes I believe in aliens. I think the sheer size of the universe means there must be some sort of other life form out there.

If we discover warp speed we might get into the Intergalactic community as long as we remember not to hoard all the space cash after we kill Baby Fark McGee-zax. :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Do I believe that aliens (i.e intelligent lifeforms) exist. Absolutely.

Do I believe that aliens are here abducting people and mutilating cows. No.

Life is probably very common in the universe, and is probably in a few other planets/satellites in our own solar system. Enceledus (a moon of Saturn) could very well have life on it (or more specifically in the oceans underneath the ice) and there are a number of moons of Jupiter that could have life (Europa, Io).

If you see some of the fcuked up places where life not only exists, but thrives, on our own planet, you begin to wonder how much life is actually out there.

If you are talking about light speed travel, even at that it would take a long time to get anywhere on a cosmic scale. Anyway, time for some stuff I've posted on another forum...

http://heasarc.nasa.gov/docs/cosmic/nearest_star_info.html (

Worth checking it all, but a pertinent bit in particular:
    Why Can't We Travel Faster Than the Speed Of Light?

According to Special Relativity the mass of an object increases as its speed increases, and approaches infinity as the object's speed approaches the speed of light. This means that it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light.
    There's no fundamental reason why we can't get as close to the speed of light as we like, provided we have enough energy. But this is probably far in the future.
    http://nfo.edu/astro/size.htm
    When we leave our solar system, distances get very large. The nearest star, named Proxima Centauri, is over 4 light-years away. Or, for example, if the Sun were a large grapefruit in Washington D.C., Proxima Centauri would be a cherry in California. On this same scale, the Earth would be smaller than the top of a pin, and only 50 feet from the grapefruit sun.

The center of our galaxy is about 27,000 light years from us. Our sister galaxy, called M31, is two million light years away! It is part of the 'local group' of galaxies. The Magellenic Clouds, which are seen only from the Southern Hemisphere, are the closest galaxies of the local group.
    From the above, the center of our galaxy is 27,000 light years away. Obviously, any intelligent life on another planet would have to be significantly closer than that. Unless one wants to make an assertion that their proposed intelligence would have something akin to folding space as you would find in Dune. Interesting concept, but such assertions posed without evidence can be dismissed by the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

krudler wrote: »
    its almost a certainty that some planet somewhere either in the known universe or somewhere man will never see or know about contains life, this picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Hubble_ultra_deep_field.jpg

That's incredible. To think that that orange-yellow galaxy in the corner is one like ours and we haven't even explored ours yet(we haven't even fully understood our own solar system yet, we still think there are sneaky aliens on Europa) and then you see the thousands of others, some are specks, containing millions if not billions of stars containing trillions of planets and moons....fcuking hell

• Advertisement
Advertisement