Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2:1 degree - what to do?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm just finishing up a degree in French and Spanish and realised that I need a 2.1 degree to do some MA programmes. The only thing is I'm worried I'll get just under the margin since I didn't perform too well in second year due to circumstances at the time in which I got a GPA of 2.87 in both semesters. Last semester, however, my GPA rose to 3.23 so I calculated that I need at least a GPA of 3.35 to get an overall GPA of 3.08, i.e. a 2:1. What are my options if I get a 2:2? Can I repeat some modules? My friend said I should fill in an extenuating circumstances form since I was sick at the start of the semester and had to get tested in hospital, which resulted in my missing classes and doing poorly in some assignments. Luckily, I'm much better now.

Any advice?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

You can demonstrate improvement. You need to keep that going.
    At this point, your focus should be on doing the best you can in your forthcoming exams, rather than on strategising excuses.
    You won't be able to repeat modules until you get the grade you desire. But that need not prevent you moving on to postgraduate work. I'd get the head down, and work hard, and nail the summer exams if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

some masters programmes will accept you with a 2:2 and you have to do an interview before hand though. good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Study better.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Ruski wrote: »
    Study better.
    What do you think I've been doing lately? Twiddling my thumbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I only have personal experience of Psychology MA's, and a friends experience of getting into Speech and Language therapy with only a 2.2 but hopefully this helps!

Often, if you only have a 2.2 you'll have to try to gain some sort of experience related to the field you want to do the masters in. Mainly to show you have a genuine interest, are prepared to work, and to help you stand out from the better (academically) qualified candidates. This can be voluntary or paid e.g. If your degree is in languages maybe tutoring, or translating documents etc. - it really depends on what MA you're hoping to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, of you can't pull it together and get a 2.1, some masters programs (History in UCD is the one I know) offer a HDip programme which lets you transfer into the MA if you do well enough at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

I only have personal experience of Psychology MA's, and a friends experience of getting into Speech and Language therapy with only a 2.2 but hopefully this helps!

Often, if you only have a 2.2 you'll have to try to gain some sort of experience related to the field you want to do the masters in. Mainly to show you have a genuine interest, are prepared to work, and to help you stand out from the better (academically) qualified candidates. This can be voluntary or paid e.g. If your degree is in languages maybe tutoring, or translating documents etc. - it really depends on what MA you're hoping to do.
    Yeah I've taught English and have done an ERASMUS year in Spain. I got offered a position as an English language assistant in a school in France for October! Sure I'll see what I get and then decide what to do. Cheers! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 marthamartina

I have the same problem, I would not be to stressed as their are plenty of masters that take a 2.2 with a interview , however a 2.1 would be better but u can only do ur best

Advertisement