Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Irish Times schools rugby supplement out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

Horray for 'The Boys Of Wexford C.B.S.', first rugby title .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

ormond lad wrote: »
    CBC Cork beat Midleton 48-3 in Munster Senior Cup 1st round
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/11401.php
    score was actually 58-3

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breffnimartin1

Pres beat Clongowes 15-14 in a tight game in Pres - this was the same team they played before Christmas.

Pres beat Clongowes 15-14 in a tight game in Pres - this was the same team they played before Christmas.
    Interesting result.
    Fixtures for weekend
    Michaels v Crescent
    Belvedere v Munchins
    Castleknock v PBC

Wesley beat Naas CBS 15-0 in vinnie murray today

Thought wesley might beat naas - 1st half of the pres clongowes game here: www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Thought wesley might beat naas - 1st half of the pres clongowes game here: www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

A good win for Pres - some quiet confidence in the camp now I'd say ahead of the Kilkenny match??

For those aiming to go to games this weekend it seems both the Michaels Crescent and Belvedere Munchins games will be played in a double header in Ashbourne RFC with Belvedere game at 12 and Michaels game at 2

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    A good win for Pres - some quiet confidence in the camp now I'd say ahead of the Kilkenny match??

They have a plan which should work if they can execute...

any recent kilkenny college results?

• Advertisement

vinnie murray semis tomorrow and thursday
    tomorrow Wesley play Andrews in NUI Maynooth 2.30 and thursday Gerards play Mount Temple in Blackrock rfc at 2.30pm
    Gerards and Wesley to win IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Terenure v Belvo will be shown live on Setanta.

Wesley won vinnie semi 15-13.

Marist Athlone beat the Jes in connacht senior first round 16-3

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

Wesley won vinnie semi 15-13.

Marist Athlone beat the Jes in connacht senior first round 16-3
    The ref was a complete bollox who gave St.Andrews absolutely nothing. Winning Wesley try in the final minute came from a "missed" blatant knock on from the full back who kicked for touch, missed but was knocked on by Andrews in the ensuing counter attack. 14 minutes of injury time was also played, ring a bell anyone (michaels roscrea last year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andrew.cole

Stop your moaning.. The better team won

jc4517 wrote: »
    The ref was a complete bollox who gave St.Andrews absolutely nothing. Winning Wesley try in the final minute came from a "missed" blatant knock on from the full back who kicked for touch, missed but was knocked on by Andrews in the ensuing counter attack. 14 minutes of injury time was also played, ring a bell anyone (michaels roscrea last year)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUCqFKXumBjqgo3LntNV9SEg&v=9EbqCsfbvNQ&feature=player_detailpage

not this guy?

captain should ask ref time left once regulation time is nearly up and shout it to the rest of his team and everyone else....

these things can be annoying - i remember a high school ref who was outragously biased - turned out he had past pupil kids at the school....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Personal abuse will not be tolerated. Anymore will result in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rollingball

Having watched more school matches than I care to remember the standard of refereeing is appalling to say the least. The amount of time and effort put into the games by these boys and they are Children is not respected by the branches. The matches need to be refereed at the same standard as AIL. Non bias and impartial linesmen are also needed. Some Ref's seem to disregard the rule book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUCqFKXumBjqgo3LntNV9SEg&v=9EbqCsfbvNQ&feature=player_detailpage

not this guy?

captain should ask ref time left once regulation time is nearly up and shout it to the rest of his team and everyone else....

these things can be annoying - i remember a high school ref who was outragously biased - turned out he had past pupil kids at the school....

Having watched more school matches than I care to remember the standard of refereeing is appalling to say the least. The amount of time and effort put into the games by these boys and they are Children is not respected by the branches. The matches need to be refereed at the same standard as AIL. Non bias and impartial linesmen are also needed. Some Ref's seem to disregard the rule book.
    Are all linesmen not appointed by ARLB so they would be impartial
    The amount of time/effort put in is most certainly respected by the branches(certainly more than youths rugby in many ways). All cup games or virtually all cup games have a ARLB ref and independent touch judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rollingball

Well they should be more consistent regarding extra time, allowing coaches on the field of play when clearly they should not be and on too many occasions I have seen teachers from the schools playing as linesmen.
    Are all linesmen not appointed by ARLB so they would be impartial
    The amount of time/effort put in is most certainly respected by the branches(certainly more than youths rugby in many ways). All cup games or virtually all cup games have a ARLB ref and independent touch judges.

Well they should be more consistent regarding extra time, allowing coaches on the field of play when clearly they should not be and on too many occasions I have seen teachers from the schools playing as linesmen.
    Is allowing coaches onto the field such a big issue, to be water carriers etc
    Nothing wrong with teachers as linesman if each competing school has a touch judge each. who would you want to be touch judge then if not teachers?
    you mean added on time i assume considering extra time not allowed in underage rugby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭thetruth_time

Is allowing coaches onto the field such a big issue, to be water carriers etc
    Nothing wrong with teachers as linesman if each competing school has a touch judge each. who would you want to be touch judge then if not teachers?
    you mean added on time i assume considering extra time not allowed in underage rugby?
    Teachers as linesmen is a bad idea. I have seen flags stay down when a foot has gone in to touch stealing yards on penalty kicks etc. Not all are like this but unfortunately some are!! Refs have a hard enough job in concentrating on what's going on between the white lines without having to worry about what his linesmen are up to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Tony Wards 23 page supplement is in tomorrow Indo. Get ready for lots of "make no mistake about it"'s and "they'd want it no other way"'s...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Tony Ward will have to give Gerards a plug anyway,he will discuss Brewer and Dardis and a few representative players around the place but unlikely to demonstrate any more info on any team that isn't already been said on these pages. www.knockon.ie has a preview out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charliemant

Any junior cup betting odds ??leinster and Munster

cus beat pres in the junior godfrey quarters yesterday 20 - 5

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charliemant

Best junior teams ??heard in Munster its Crescent ard scoil and Rockwell and leinster blevo and rock????

Anybody with a link for the terenure belvedere game? could they please PM me if they have one

Pretty poor game. Schmidt and Dardis have been the only impressive ones for me.

Terenure blow a certain try through no.8 Doyle.

Jesus, then the Belvo winger drops his third intercept..

Well, can't see Terenure winning it after that. Michael's surely favourites.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    will depend on the draw and who each side will play in 1/4s.
    when is the draw for next round?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Hard to judge on their first outing mainly due to the conditions. I'm sure they will improve. Would have been interesting if the referee had managed the choke tackle correctly. Once he called maul any nure player ahead of the ball carrier is in an off-side position from that point! Got nure out of trouble on several occasions. Onwards from here and the excitement of the open draw.

Looking at the spread of quality Michael's seem to have I just can't see past them tbh. Nure look to have quality individuals and the weather would have hampered them today, but I was fairly unimpressed with them. I hope they come up against Blackrock or Roscrea in good weather, then I can really see how good they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Pretty poor game. Schmidt and Dardis have been the only impressive ones for me.

Schmidt was poor I thought, Weakliam played very well when he came on.
    Dardis was good but wasnt given enough ball.
    Nure 7 was excellent.
    Nure had a much bigger pack than I thought & in better shape than last year - esp Borza.

I thought Schmidt was one of the stand-outs when he was on. Quick service and he was able to put good width on it considering the conditions. He was also a threat in his own right with ball in hand.
    Dardis was like a bar of soap. Had no right to get out of some tackles.
    Nobody really impressed me in the pack. Thornton was lively and carried well but nothing to write home about imo.
    Brewer looked worryingly slow but he showed that he has a good rugby brain at times.

All in all I thought for all the threatening talent they supposedly have, they were fairly blunt. Even Stephen O'Neill who I've only read good things about, looked fairly ordinary. Towards the end of the game Belvedere showed that if you can string some phases together you can definitely trouble them.

pres kilkenny first round senior match has been switched from north kildare to ashbourne rfc and is going ahead...

Munster Senior Cup starts tomorrow with Ard Scoil Ris v Glenstal and continues with 2 games on wednesday, Rockwell v Crescent and Munchins v PBC with the final opening round game on thursday between Castletroy and CBC.
    All the Limerick Schools are previewed below
    Glenstal
    St Munchins
    Castletroy College
    Ardscoil Ris
    Crescent Comp

Also was anybody at the Kilkenny game today?
    Did Sam Sterling start and where if he did?

• Advertisement

Also was anybody at the Kilkenny game today?
    Did Sam Sterling start and where if he did?

yes - he played well - #13 i think?

Pres Kilkenny match here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

My (admittedly prejudiced) account:

According to met eireann this game was played in a 54km/h gale but all credit to the ashbourne groundsmen given the good quality of the turf.

Pres dominated both territory and possession for the first 20 minutes and three times got within a few yards of the Kilkenny line but Kilkenny defence was solid. Rolling maul from the lineout the best opportunity. Passing the ball out the line where it was taken by the wind and not committing enough forwards to the breakdown didn’t help. Finally Pres opted to take a penalty that shaved the right hand post in the wind. Around the 20 minute mark the play switched to the half way and Kilkenny entered the Pres 22 for the first time. Kilkenny kept it tight but Pres defended well and kept them out. Around 25 minutes in, play switched back with Pres on the attack and they agein got into the Kilkenny 22 but Kilkenny defended well, won a penalty and from the resulting lineout mounted a rolling mall committing the whole pack bringing them to a few yards from the line, then short passes to crash runners produced a try from Kilkenny #12. Kilkenny failed to convert and first half was over. Pres should have taken their opportunity in those first 20 minutes when they had momentum.

Half time score 5 nil for Kilkenny.

In a reverse of the first half the second half started well for Kilkenny, playing into the wind, on the attack. For the first 10 minutes the Kilkenny forwards pushed forward, having changed tactics to keeping the ball in tight and breaking off the edge of rucks but Pres held firm. On about 15 minutes Pres got a penalty on the half way and Pres kicked for goal, the ball dropping about 2 feet short. Nevertheless the Kilkenny clearance set up an attacking platform lineout for Pres from which they set a rolling maul. Unfortunately ball carrier was interfered with by a Kilkenny player who had gone down and not rolled away and ref called a truck and trailer (I think refs sometimes call this because they like the roll of the words; the correct call should have been penalty for Pres for obstruction). From the scrum Kilkenny went back on the attack, keeping the ball in the forwards, playing the weather. With 15 minutes to go the horizontal rain hit and with a series of pick-and-go’s, Kilkenny crossed for a second try missing the conversion.

Score 10 nil for Kilkenny.

From the kick-off Pres were back on the attack winning a penalty on the 22 with 15 minutes to go, which they kicked.
    Score 10 – 3 for Kilkenny with 15 minutes regulation time left.

At this point the Pres captain moved into scrum half position but it was too late; Kilkenny put the ball up their jumpers and held onto possession. A couple of missed kicks for touch didn’t help Pres, who fought valiantly to the end.
    For Pres this has to be one that got away. Most of the past problems had been fixed. They actually dominated the scrum with a smaller pack, lineout worked well (despite bizarrely throwing to the back), kicks were mostly making touch (except near the end), and moves synced. However Kilkenny played the conditions better, keeping the ball tight amongst the forwards, against Pres risky expansive play in high wind. In decent weather the Pres backline would probably have done it for Pres.

Every player on the field gave it their all – for pres the front row, back row, #5 in lineout, 10, 11, 12 and 15 were outstanding. The Kilkenny back row and scrumhalf, as well as #11 and #13 were impressive – several players seemed to be carrying injuries though...hope not too serious.

Having seen most of this Pres team’s matches over the past six years, seen them win the 2009 Junior League, the Fr. Godfrey Cup in 2010, make the quarter finals of the Junior Cup in 2010 knocked out by Clongowes, beating Newbridge to make the senior quarter finals last year to be knocked out by the cup winners Michaels. Ironically the 2009 Junior Pres team were knocked out in the first round of the cup that year by none other than Kilkenny, on that occasion, very much against the run of play (if I’m not mistaken the Kilkenny try scorer that day was Triggs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ard Scoil beat Glenstal 39 -6, I think it was 8 - 6 with about 20min remaining then the floodgates opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Pres Kilkenny match here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

My (admittedly prejudiced) account:

According to met eireann this game was played in a 54km/h gale but all credit to the ashbourne groundsmen given the good quality of the turf.

Pres dominated both territory and possession for the first 20 minutes and three times got within a few yards of the Kilkenny line but Kilkenny defence was solid. Rolling maul from the lineout the best opportunity. Passing the ball out the line where it was taken by the wind and not committing enough forwards to the breakdown didn’t help. Finally Pres opted to take a penalty that shaved the right hand post in the wind. Around the 20 minute mark the play switched to the half way and Kilkenny entered the Pres 22 for the first time. Kilkenny kept it tight but Pres defended well and kept them out. Around 25 minutes in, play switched back with Pres on the attack and they agein got into the Kilkenny 22 but Kilkenny defended well, won a penalty and from the resulting lineout mounted a rolling mall committing the whole pack bringing them to a few yards from the line, then short passes to crash runners produced a try from Kilkenny #12. Kilkenny failed to convert and first half was over. Pres should have taken their opportunity in those first 20 minutes when they had momentum.

Half time score 5 nil for Kilkenny.

In a reverse of the first half the second half started well for Kilkenny, playing into the wind, on the attack. For the first 10 minutes the Kilkenny forwards pushed forward, having changed tactics to keeping the ball in tight and breaking off the edge of rucks but Pres held firm. On about 15 minutes Pres got a penalty on the half way and Pres kicked for goal, the ball dropping about 2 feet short. Nevertheless the Kilkenny clearance set up an attacking platform lineout for Pres from which they set a rolling maul. Unfortunately ball carrier was interfered with by a Kilkenny player who had gone down and not rolled away and ref called a truck and trailer (I think refs sometimes call this because they like the roll of the words; the correct call should have been penalty for Pres for obstruction). From the scrum Kilkenny went back on the attack, keeping the ball in the forwards, playing the weather. With 15 minutes to go the horizontal rain hit and with a series of pick-and-go’s, Kilkenny crossed for a second try missing the conversion.

Score 10 nil for Kilkenny.

From the kick-off Pres were back on the attack winning a penalty on the 22 with 15 minutes to go, which they kicked.
    Score 10 – 3 for Kilkenny with 15 minutes regulation time left.

At this point the Pres captain moved into scrum half position but it was too late; Kilkenny put the ball up their jumpers and held onto possession. A couple of missed kicks for touch didn’t help Pres, who fought valiantly to the end.
    For Pres this has to be one that got away. Most of the past problems had been fixed. They actually dominated the scrum with a smaller pack, lineout worked well (despite bizarrely throwing to the back), kicks were mostly making touch (except near the end), and moves synced. However Kilkenny played the conditions better, keeping the ball tight amongst the forwards, against Pres risky expansive play in high wind. In decent weather the Pres backline would probably have done it for Pres.

Every player on the field gave it their all – for pres the front row, back row, #5 in lineout, 10, 11, 12 and 15 were outstanding. The Kilkenny back row and scrumhalf, as well as #11 and #13 were impressive – several players seemed to be carrying injuries though...hope not too serious.

Having seen most of this Pres team’s matches over the past six years, seen them win the 2009 Junior League, the Fr. Godfrey Cup in 2010, make the quarter finals of the Junior Cup in 2010 knocked out by Clongowes, beating Newbridge to make the senior quarter finals last year to be knocked out by the cup winners Michaels. Ironically the 2009 Junior Pres team were knocked out in the first round of the cup that year by none other than Kilkenny, on that occasion, very much against the run of play (if I’m not mistaken the Kilkenny try scorer that day was Triggs).

Well Breffni, I for one have enjoyed your youtube videos and updates from within the Pres camp immensely.

This is the real essence of schools cup rugby for the mid tier teams - ok they will feel that this was an opportunity of a quarter final that got away, although to my eyes KK deserved the win - but all of those players can hold their heads high. Far better I think to go out after an honourable battle like that than to be drawn against a powerhouse and be destroyed.

I suppose its the end of the line for you as well now if your son is in 6th year?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Well Breffni, I for one have enjoyed your youtube videos and updates from within the Pres camp immensely.

This is the real essence of schools cup rugby for the mid tier teams - ok they will feel that this was an opportunity of a quarter final that got away, although to my eyes KK deserved the win - but all of those players can hold their heads high. Far better I think to go out after an honourable battle like that than to be drawn against a powerhouse and be destroyed.

I suppose its the end of the line for you as well now if your son is in 6th year?

On the day KK were under real pressure for 20 minutes at the start - one lucky bounce and a try at that point would have been huge - but i agree, KK were better drilled and had better composure...i really thought Jay at scrumhalf on a day like that would have made a difference. But yes, better to go out like that...

Most of the lads seem to be joining Greystones rfc so ill probably be posting a few clips from there or whatever university Louis ends up in.

They might contest the "plate" but i doubt!

all the best

phog wrote: »
    Ard Scoil beat Glenstal 39 -6, I think it was 8 - 6 with about 20min remaining then the floodgates opened.
    Big win for Ard Scoil
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/11516

1/4 round 2 draw
    Munchins v Crescent
    Rockwell v loser of tomorrows Castletroy and CBC game
    winner Castletroy/CBC v Glenstal
    Ard Scoil v PBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Big win for Ard Scoil
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/11516