Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

No Gearoid Lyons after his immense kicking display in the Munster final is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Jackobyte wrote: »
    No Gearoid Lyons after his immense kicking display in the Munster final is surprising.

I think he is 19s. Ormond would have a better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

its_phil wrote: »
    Have it in my head he was 1995. Not sure when exactly the cut off is, but would have thought all 1995 players would have been eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Sean O'Brien and Jacob Walsh from Roscrea in the Ireland 19's squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

its_phil wrote: »
    He is eligible for 18s.
    Have it in my head he was 1995. Not sure when exactly the cut off is, but would have thought all 1995 players would have been eligible.
    cut off is 1/1/95 as its 18s. Cup was 1/1/94 as it is 19s
    Lyons is a 95 and just wasnt picked. All 95s are eligible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

no Josh Fullerton is interesting, maybe he is injured.

LH prop
    Jeremy Loughman (Blackrock College)
    Michael Lagan (Methodist College)

Hooker
    Sean McNulty (Rockwell College)
    Andrew Roche (Terenure College)

TH prop
    Oisin Heffernan (CC Roscrea)
    Oliver Jager (Blackrock College)

Lock
    David O'Connor(Blackrock College)
    Alexander Thompson (Methodist College)
    James Ryan (St.Michael's College)

Backrow
    Joshua Murphy (St. Michaels College)
    Rory Moloney (CC Roscrea)
    Patrick Thornton (Terenure College)
    Nick Timoney (Blackrock College)
    James Gallagher (Methodist College)

Scrumhalf
    Nick McCarthy (St. Michaels College)
    Charlie Rock (Blackrock College)

Outhalf
    Ross Byrne (St.Michaels College)
    Ciaran Gaffney (CC Roscrea)

Centre
    Matthew Gilsenan (St.Michaels College)
    Fergal Cleary (Clongowes Wood College)
    Harrison Brewer (Terenure College)

Back 3
    Michael Courtney (CBC Monkstown)
    Greg O'Shea (Crescent Comprehensive)
    Cormac Brennan (CC Roscrea)
    Billy Dardis (Terenure College)
    Jack Owens (Campbell College)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

no Josh Fullerton is interesting, maybe he is injured.

LH prop

Hooker

TH prop

Lock

Backrow

Scrumhalf

Outhalf

Centre

Back 3

Think the strongest team will be:
    Dardis
    Brennan
    Cleary
    Brewer
    O'Shea
    Byrne
    Rock
    Loughman
    Mcnulty
    Heffernan
    Ryan
    O'Connor
    Murphy
    Moloney
    Timoney

I'd go with:

1. Langan
    2. McNulty
    3. Heffernan
    4. O'Connor
    5. Ryan
    6. Murphy
    7. Moloney
    8. Timoney
    9. Rock
    10. Byrne
    11. O'Shea
    12. Brewer
    13. Cleary
    14. Owens
    15. Dardis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

lurtz wrote: »
    Ireland U-18 Schools Squad to compete in the FIRA/AER Justin Bridou U-18 European Championship:

Forwards (14):

Backs (12):

Management:
    Coach - Noel McNamara
    Manager - John McKinney
    Backs Coach - Mark Butler
    Forwards Coach - Brian Robinson
    Baggage master - John Moran
    Doctor - Prof. John Ryan
    Video Analyst - Brett Igoe
    Physiotherapist - David Lyons
    Strength & Conditioning Coach - Chris Shields

EDIT: My mistake

Is James Ryan the 4th year second row??

Tox56 wrote: »
    EDIT: My mistake

Is James Ryan the 4th year second row??

yeah.

• Advertisement

Next septembers Munster u19s and 20s which will contain quite a few players who will have played senior cup this year(as well as youths rugby) have games coming up in the next week as prep for this summers training camp in Rockwell.
    The 19s play Connacht in Ennis next wednesday while the 20s are due to play Young Munsters u21s in Tom Clifford Park park next wednesday

who are the best guys u20 next season?

O'Donoghue and Madigan right? anyone else?

who are the best guys u20 next season?

O'Donoghue and Madigan right? anyone else?
    For Munster those 2 as well as Parata the former sundays well munster youth and Rockwell outhalf-centre,
    Jack Dineen the Crescent Comp back row, Sonny Dwyer rockwell but from thurles backrow will all be strong with a handful of others who i think may make it but havent really been involved in any interpro set up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Is Parata playing with Connacht next year, like he did last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

ormond lad wrote: »
    For Munster those 2 as well as Parata the former sundays well munster youth and Rockwell outhalf-centre,
    Jack Dineen the Crescent Comp back row, Sonny Dwyer rockwell but from thurles backrow will all be strong with a handful of others who i think may make it but havent really been involved in any interpro set up to date.
    When will the squads be announced?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Is Parata playing with Connacht next year, like he did last year?
    No fairly sure he will be back with Munster
    mrpdap wrote: »
    When will the squads be announced?
    u20?
    sometime in may if at all. Might not be announced until the summer

Irish 19s play a Leinster side on sunday in merrion road

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clubrug

Fierce 'hype' around Rory Parata, are the coaches influenced by reputations? Can't see him near centres munster had last year. Jack Dineen, Sonny Dwyer and Jack O' Donoughue all played 8 for munster, won't regig to fit and start them all, should be on squad but competitive area and Diarmuid Dee had a great interpro at 6 last year, super munster cup final, that spot is his to loose. David Johnson is probably the best prospect of the lot, in my opinion, really hope he makes progress in rugby, excellent player.

Very rare you see lads who haven't been involved in any interpro set up break in at 20s, but would be good to see. Are there many munster lads on Ireland 19s squad?

clubrug wrote: »
    Fierce 'hype' around Rory Parata, are the coaches influenced by reputations? Can't see him near centres munster had last year. Jack Dineen, Sonny Dwyer and Jack O' Donoughue all played 8 for munster, won't regig to fit and start them all, should be on squad but competitive area and Diarmuid Dee had a great interpro at 6 last year, super munster cup final, that spot is his to lose. David Johnson is probably the best prospect of the lot, in my opinion, really hope he makes progress in rugby, excellent player.

Very rare you see lads who haven't been involved in any interpro set up break in at 20s, but would be good to see. Are there many munster lads on Ireland 19s squad?
    Well from what ive seen of him. Parata is top class and any talk is well deserved. I def see Parata making the Munster 20s in september.
    Would def have him ahead of the likes of Midleton Colleges Hodgson who started 1/2 games in the centre.
    Sonny played a lot underage at 7 so could def be starting with Jack O at 8.
    Dont think Johnson is the best of the lot. Would rate Parata, Jack O ahead of him.
    There is a good enough number from Munster in the 19s squad afaik. Fairly sure there is at least 7/8 from Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

No fairly sure he will be back with Munster

u20?
    sometime in may if at all. Might not be announced until the summer

Irish 19s play a Leinster side on sunday in merrion road

howd you know this? and you know a time?

• Advertisement

Rory Parata is a fine player, don't get me wrong and he has progressed greatly since involvement in munster youths, probably didn't get fair crack with them and grew with Connacht, no doubt, wonder would that influence him?

Plenty of fine rugby players out there, at this time of year people focus on performances in senior cup, rightly or wrongly, long time between now and september and things change, 20s will probably be dominated by school and ex school players, however any 'screamers' from the clubs?

saw it on another website
    think its at 2

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Kick off is 12 wanderers rfc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Saw Parata play with Connacht 19's last year and he was ok but not a stand out. He was munster youth but then came to Galway at 19's, then because he does ok with us he goes back to munster?????? We improve him to give him back to Munster? strange if you can switch allegiance that easily.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Saw Parata play with Connacht 19's last year and he was ok but not a stand out. He was munster youth but then came to Galway at 19's, then because he does ok with us he goes back to munster?????? We improve him to give him back to Munster? strange if you can switch allegiance that easily.
    He played Munster Youths. Wasnt picked for Irish Youths and moved to Rockwell. He moved too late to play senior cup last year.
    From what i heard Parata is fully set on playing pro rugby and that is his main aim. He wasnt picked for Munster 19s last summer so he and a few others including Aidan Butler looked to Connacht and they were included in the Connacht squad. He has been playing in Munster competitions the entire time. He was offered a place by Munster so took it and from what ive heard he may well be in the Munster Academy next season.
    He has prob been asked by both Connacht and Munster about next season at 20s and chose Munster

• Advertisement

Fair play to him............... lucky boy having all those choices.

He played Munster Youths. Wasnt picked for Irish Youths and moved to Rockwell. He moved too late to play senior cup last year.
    From what i heard Parata is fully set on playing pro rugby and that is his main aim. He wasnt picked for Munster 19s last summer so he and a few others including Aidan Butler looked to Connacht and they were included in the Connacht squad. He has been playing in Munster competitions the entire time. He was offered a place by Munster so took it and from what ive heard he may well be in the Munster Academy next season.
    He has prob been asked by both Connacht and Munster about next season at 20s and chose Munster

Lets face it most kids playing rugby for a province have notions of playing pro, how many make it, difference between having and achieving goals! Best of luck to him. He didn't start any games for munster youths I believe, bit unlucky there perhaps. What place has he been offered, probably listed amongst forty odd lads for a couple of training sessions and matches, doesn't guarantee anything.

Again hype, seen both him and Ned Hodson, who captained munster schools 2011 and played all munster 19s games last year, now UCC, I know who I would pick, however he deserves a chance and will have the opportunity to go to Connacht then if he wants perhaps. But must say again the physical change in the kid in a short space of time, fair dues to him.

clubrug wrote: »
    Lets face it most kids playing rugby for a province have notions of playing pro, how many make it, difference between having and achieving goals! Best of luck to him. He didn't start any games for munster youths I believe, bit unlucky there perhaps. What place has he been offered, probably listed amongst forty odd lads for a couple of training sessions and matches, doesn't guarantee anything.

Again hype, seen both him and Ned Hodson, who captained munster schools 2011 and played all munster 19s games last year, now UCC, I know who I would pick, however he deserves a chance and will have the opportunity to go to Connacht then if he wants perhaps. But must say again the physical change in the kid in a short space of time, fair dues to him.
    Oh i know most kids who go on and get provincial age grade recognition have aspirations of playing pro but how many well and truely do have the aim to be a pro and think of nothing but becoming a pro. Nowhere near as many.
    He didnt start games for munster youths as iirc the way he played the game off the cuff etc was not how the team was being played as they were playing a much more structured game.
    If choosing between Parata and Hodgson id choose Parata every time from what ive seen of both play

Think there may be some highlights of the FIRA games on FIRA's dailymotion page. There was last year and if they've a video up on the managers of each country meeting up before the tournament then I assume there will be some highlights of games this year

Think there may be some highlights of the FIRA games on FIRA's dailymotion page. There was last year and if they've a video up on the managers of each country meeting up before the tournament then I assume there will be some highlights of games this year

The website is pretty poor in fairness. The whole tournament seems to be shrouded in mystery..

• Advertisement

Irish team for FIRA game tonight has been named
    1. Michael Lagan
    2. Andrew Roche
    3. Oisin Heffernan
    4. David O'Conner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Rory Moloney
    7. Patrick Thornton
    8. Nick Timoney
    9. Nick McCarthy
    10. Ross Bryne
    11. Greg O'Shea
    12. Harrison Brewer
    13. Fergal Cleary
    14. Jack Owens
    15. Billy Dardis

we lead 21-20 after 30 or so minutes

we lead 31-20 in 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Is it on anywhere?

Is it on anywhere?
    Not on tv. doesn't appear like any games are on tv this year. There has been games on eurosport in the past but doesn't look like there is this year. there may be highlights up on FIRA's dailymotion page

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

great to get info on score. kkep it up.

Ireland won the match but not sure what score

we won 31-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I'd say the smallish winning margin would be due to about half the squad playing games on Monday and not having had a game together yet.

Ah it's grand. Sure last year they only beat Portugal by 10 points and then went on to beat France. They just need more time together.
    Brewer, Dardis, O'Shea and Owens with the tries.

EDIT: Speaking of Portugal, England absolutely hammered them. 82-8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Georgia were always going to be one of the tougher of the "weaker" nations but be honest, everyone thinks that we have one of the best teams ever out there! Take the win and move on to France (who will also not have an easy game v Italy). A win is a win.

Don't buy the theme of them not having time together though, they all know each other well and have been in camps since last Autumn. They are good players everyone of them. Georgia are obviously a good team. England beat Portugal 82-8 though. Hope they get complacent !

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Take the win and move on to France (who will also not have an easy game v Italy).

Looks like they had an easy game. 32-0..

Ah well, onwards and upwards lads. The hype might dampen down a bit and get them fully focused. A win is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Player14

Don't buy the theme of them not having time together though, they all know each other well and have been in camps since last Autumn. They are good players everyone of them.

That's not necessarily true as many are from different provinces. Also, some have just been called up after good cup campaigns and been thrown into the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Kick off is 12 wanderers rfc
    The 19s v Leinster selection game tomorrow is cancelled due to the weather

Player14 wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true as many are from different provinces. Also, some have just been called up after good cup campaigns and been thrown into the squad.

You would'nt say that they are predominantly Leinster schools then? Who demolished all before them in the interpro's before the schools cups even started. Would it not be fair to say that McCarthy, Byrne, Brewer, Cleary and Dardis in the back line have all played lots of games together? That's before you would even mention the forwards. Was there not 13 of the starting team from Leinster schools? Only Owens and O'Shea not from there.....or am I wrong.

I want them to win this thing as they showed great promise all year, especially in the interpros. In the game v the clubs they looked like a club side, all knew each other so well, especially the backs and flankers. I just don't buy the argument that they don't know each other well.......sorry about that.

I hope that it was just a slow start and they fire on all cyclinders for the French game.

Castletroy won their 2nd ever Munster Junior Cup today beating Crescent 13-7.

Its not great but better than nothing. A short video of yesterdays games. Doesn't have any real coverage of games

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyfc40_120322-u18-justin-bridou-day-1-highlights_sport#.UU4K8DKvnMw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

You would'nt say that they are predominantly Leinster schools then? Who demolished all before them in the interpro's before the schools cups even started. Would it not be fair to say that McCarthy, Byrne, Brewer, Cleary and Dardis in the back line have all played lots of games together? That's before you would even mention the forwards. Was there not 13 of the starting team from Leinster schools? Only Owens and O'Shea not from there.....or am I wrong.

I want them to win this thing as they showed great promise all year, especially in the interpros. In the game v the clubs they looked like a club side, all knew each other so well, especially the backs and flankers. I just don't buy the argument that they don't know each other well.......sorry about that.

I hope that it was just a slow start and they fire on all cyclinders for the French game.

Michael Lagan as well from Methody.

• Advertisement

The irish game in full on youtube
    1st half: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIASfqwlU8
    2nd half: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggC0Y0Pa_Z4

Advertisement