Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Game lacked a lot of flow. I thought the back-line looked dangerous but we fluffed a lot of line-outs so they didn't get many opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

FIRA announced yesterday that the schools game against France on will be live on FIRA's dailymotion page on Tuesday.
    Kick off 6pm
    How do people think we'll do. France beat Italy 32-0 in their opening game friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

ormond lad wrote: »
    FIRA announced yesterday that the schools game against France on will be live on FIRA's dailymotion page on Tuesday.
    Kick off 6pm
    How do people think we'll do. France beat Italy 32-0 in their opening game friday

Looking at those highlights the set piece needs to improve that's for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just watched the tries, that looks like a cracking back three that Ireland have.

I felt sorry for the Georgian 15 after Owens try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Brewer looked pretty good.

• Advertisement

Ireland U-18 Schools (v France U18, FIRA/AER U-18 European Championship, Chambery, March 26th, 19:00)

15. Billy Dardis (Terenure College)
    14. Jack Owens (Campbell College)
    13. Fergal Cleary (Clongowes Wood College)
    12. Harrison Brewer (Terenure College)
    11. Greg O'Shea (Crescent Comprehensive)
    10. Ross Byrne (St. Michael's College)
    9. Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College) (capt)
    1. Michael Lagan (Methodist College)
    2. Andrew Roche (Terenure College)
    3. Oisin Heffernan (CC Roscrea)
    4. David O'Connor (Blackrock College)
    5. James Ryan (St. Michael's College)
    6. Rory Moloney (CC Roscrea)
    7. Patrick Thornton (Terenure College)
    8. Nick Timoney (Blackrock College)
    Replacements
    16. Oliver Jager (Blackrock College)
    17. Sean McNulty (Rockwell College)
    18. Jeremy Loughman (Blackrock College)
    19. Alexander Thompson (Methodist College)
    20. James Gallagher (Methodist College)
    21. Charlie Rock (Blackrock College)
    22. Ciaran Gaffney (CC Roscrea)
    23. Matthew Gilsenan (St. Michael's College)
    24. Michael Courtney (CBC Monkstown)
    25. Cormac Brennan (CC Roscrea)
    26. Josh Murphy (St. Michael's College)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

this is the team according to the website

Ireland U-18 Schools (v France U18, FIRA/AER U-18 European Championship, Chambery, March 26th, 19:00)

15. Billy Dardis (Terenure College)
    14. Jack Owens (Campbell College)
    13. Fergal Cleary (Clongowes Wood College)
    12. Harrison Brewer (Terenure College)
    11. Greg O'Shea (Crescent Comprehensive)
    10. Ross Byrne (St. Michael's College)
    9. Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College) (capt)
    1. Michael Lagan (Methodist College)
    2. Sean McNulty (Rockwell College)
    3. Oisin Heffernan (CC Roscrea)
    4. David O'Connor (Blackrock College)
    5. James Ryan (St. Michael's College)
    6. Josh Murphy (St. Michael's College)
    7. Rory Moloney (CC Roscrea)
    8. Nick Timoney (Blackrock College)

Replacements
    16.Jeremy Loughman (Blackrock College)
    17. Andrew Roche (Terenure College)
    18. Oliver Jager (Blackrock College)
    19. Alexander Thompson (Methodist College)
    20. James Gallagher (Methodist College)
    21. Patrick Thornton (Terenure College)
    22. Ciaran Gaffney (CC Roscrea)
    23. Matthew Gilsenan (St. Michael's College)
    24. Michael Courtney (CBC Monkstown)
    25. Cormac Brennan (CC Roscrea)
    26. Charlie Rock (Blackrock College)

Irish 19s play England Wednesday week. Merrion Row 1pm
    Any info on the squad?

Irish 19s play England Wednesday week. Merrion Road 1pm
    Any info on the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

should be a cracker,merrion road*
    presume squad will be same as was going to be in the camp. Id imagine theyll be in camp this week during the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

lurtz wrote: »
    presume squad will be same as was going to be in the camp. Id imagine theyll be in camp this week during the next few days

Anyone know if Holland is playing for the Ireland team or not? I know O'Loughlin is anyway.

I would assume its same squad but nobody will know considering squad was not announced at any stage on IRFU website.
    Would assume they'll be in camp from next Monday and be in camp for the week. They've a game against france as well I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

It will be at Donnybrook.

losing 17 -15 at HT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Kick off 6pm

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyf4ik_live-1-2-finals-u18-cup-justin-bridou_sport#.UVHffb_CmQs

lineout costing us again, throwing to the back way too much

23 - 18

cant see us winning this

last play of game, inside frances 22. lineout

• Advertisement

fittingly we overthrow our man and france win.

I thought you were allowed pull down a maul directly from a line out? The ref pinged Ireland twice for doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Good performance though, great effort by the lads. Big strong France pack. They should see off Scotland in the next game

Georgia beat Italy interestingly.

Good performance especially by the backs, not sure about mccarthy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

As mentioned above Lineouts were very poor and if that last Lineout from our penalty worked out we could have won the game. Hate that when things don't work out in the Lineouts that they continue with same approach instead of changing it and getting some confidence back, really is poor from management to allow this happen

agreed, whenever they threw to the front they had no problems but they kept going long to the back.

twice in the second half they overthrew deep inside frances 22 and lost the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

This result makes the decision to pull the Youths out at such a late stage even more farcical IMO.

This result makes the decision to pull the Youths out at such a late stage even more farcical IMO.

The Schools hammered The Youths at Christmas. Maybe they reckoned The Youths weren't strong enough?

ridiculous, the youths would have lost both games and probably heavily based on their results to date.

• Advertisement

Quint2010 wrote: »
    The Schools hammered The Youths at Christmas. Maybe they reckoned The Youths weren't strong enough?

Maybe, and don't get me wrong, I would have had the Schools in from the start. But it was completely unfair on the Youths to pull them out, and they've had to watch a Schools side who probably have done no better than they would have. Must be very frustrating.

The youths would have lost to georgia, would that have really been better?

granted it was bad form to switch it that late but at the end of the day it was for the best, the schools side can compete at this level, the youths are miles off.

granted it was bad form to switch it that late but at the end of the day it was for the best, the schools side can compete at this level, the youths are miles off.
    Miles off is wrong. In previous years youths had never won the FIRA but were defeated by France in the final 3/4 times.
    Maybe from next year after the youths and schools u18 interpros have been played the best 26-28 players between the youths and schools should compete in the FIRA with the next 26-28 best players playing the set of friendlies the irish youths will have played this season
    Havent seen the game but where did we lose it and who stood out?

I'm not too sure they would have though. And yes, the schools are definitely better on their day, but it was a bad move on the IRFU's part to pull the Youths out so late. We're supposed to be improving our player base and giving more exposure to Youths, it would only have been good for them to get exposure in big games like these.

Lost the game up front and at the lineout. Almost had it but just lacked the killer instinct.

10-15 impressed when they got good ball. Thought Ryan at 5 and Moloney at 7 were excellent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah, French forwards were just huge, deserve credit for keeping it close. Impressed by backline, particularly Brewer, and the 7 was excellent

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Yeah, French forwards were just huge, deserve credit for keeping it close. Impressed by backline, particularly Brewer, and the 7 was excellent

yeah Brewer really stood out I thought, showed more pace than i thought he had.

Think he is back in the frame for an academy spot straight out of school now.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

ridiculous, the youths would have lost both games and probably heavily based on their results to date.

I actually agree that the youths would have lost both quite heavily and I do think that it was the correct decision to send the schools, but I do think that the decision was taken far too late, way too late. The truth is that lots of people thought that this was the best schools side ever and that they would win it. I also don't think that the schools "hammered" the clubs side at Christmas. Beat them well yes, but it was not a hammering, the clubs did not know there best side, the schools side did. The schools side had played loads together and only made a few changes after the game was well won. The familiarity amongst the schools was there for all to see, as stated before this was primarily a Leinster schools side. For me the other provinces have to step up to the plate and contribute more.

There are some fantastic players in the schools side, but also a few good ones in the clubs too. I believe that this will be a great year group in two years time at U20's. lets all remember that our system does not allow us to play our actual best U18 players in the FIRA, that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Miles off is wrong. In previous years youths had never won the FIRA but were defeated by France in the final 3/4 times.
    Maybe from next year after the youths and schools u18 interpros have been played the best 26-28 players between the youths and schools should compete in the FIRA with the next 26-28 best players playing the set of friendlies the irish youths will have played this season
    Havent seen the game but where did we lose it and who stood out?

Would be far to logical to work! Paid proffesionals would complain that it would be to hard to merge both and would be afraid that both sections would merge and some one would loose their cushy enough numbers. Both sections don't really get on at provincial or international level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

3 games in a week for the majority of the squad have an effect? Particularly 3 games of cup final intensity.
    Really don't agree with McCarthy as captain considering he isn't the best scrum half.

would have Moloney as captain myself.

O'Connor, Loughney, Timoney, McCarthy, Ryan, Byrne, O'Shea, McNulty, Lagan, Murphy all played 3 games in the last 9 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

would have Moloney as captain myself.

O'Connor, Loughney, Timoney, McCarthy, Ryan, Byrne, O'Shea, McNulty, Lagan, Murphy all played 3 games in the last 9 days.

Would agree with that one. And I know I'm biased but I'd have Charlie Rock streets ahead of McCarthy, much better cup campaign and preseason which McCarthy barely played in.
    Yeah plus the majority of the bench, must have tired them out.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Would agree with that one. And I know I'm biased but I'd have Charlie Rock streets ahead of McCarthy, much better cup campaign and preseason which McCarthy barely played in.
    Yeah plus the majority of the bench, must have tired them out.

Yeah surprised there wasn't a bit more rotation. A few of the 'Rock and 'Michaels lads looked a bit knackered. Really impressed with Brewer. Maybe he does have a serious future at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Yeah surprised there wasn't a bit more rotation. A few of the 'Rock and 'Michaels lads looked a bit knackered. Really impressed with Brewer. Maybe he does have a serious future at 12.

He looked very sharp this year at 12 , to back up last year . He is too good to not get a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

One good performance and everyone is back on the Brewer bandwagon again.Now watch everyone slate him again when he has a bad game.

two performances of note.

Any info on fixtures ahead of Septembers interpros.
    Friday week the Munster u18 schools play Llandovery from Wales in the Comp and Saturday 13th the Munster 19s play Crescents Senior Cup team again in the Comp

funtime93 wrote: »
    One good performance and everyone is back on the Brewer bandwagon again.Now watch everyone slate him again when he has a bad game.

Never said he was a bad player-just wasn't sure he was a 12.

Irish schools 3rd/4th place playoff Saturday 2pm v Scotland. Should be a win going by previous results.
    Assume there will be several changes made to team. We should win going by previous results this season and considering irish youths lost to Scotland by 10 or so points and the big margin between the youths and the schools when they played at christmas

• Advertisement
Advertisement