Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Holy God-68-5? Noel McNamara-isn't he the 'Michaels coach behind their recent success? Must be destined for greater things at this stage? There seems to be quite an even spread of representation in terms of schools on the '18's and '19's Leinster teams this year. Augers well for a very competitive cup!

He is the Clongowes coach. A young teacher with a very limited adult playing background (as far as I know injuries put paid to that) and I would imagine a very bright future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Munster 19s beat Ulster over the weekend 13-10. match report here
    Anyone going to thomond(munster v leinster) or the sportsground(connacht v ulster) wednesday for the 2nd 18s schools interpros
    The link below has a table of results of friendlies the Ulster schools have played so far
    intouchrugby.com

Leinster schools team to face Munster tomorrow in Thomond
    15: Billy Dardis (Terenure College)
    14: Cormac Brennan (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    13: Fergal Cleary (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    12: Harrison Brewer (Terenure College)
    11: James McCormack (Castleknock College)
    10: Ross Byrne (St. Michael’s College)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael’s College) CAPTAIN
    1: Oisin Heffernan (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    2: Andrew Roche (Terenure College)
    3: Oliver Jager (Blackrock College)
    4: James Ryan (St. Michael’s College)
    5: Rory Moloney (Cistercian College Roscrea) LEADER
    6: Josh Murphy (St. Michael’s College)
    7: Patrick Thornton (Terenure College)
    8: Nick Timoney (Blackrock College)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Graham Reynolds (The King’s Hospital)
    17: Eric O’Sullivan (Templeogue College)
    18: Hugh O’Donnell (Newbridge College)
    19: Robert Lalor (Terenure College)
    20: Alex Penny (St. Michael’s College)
    21: Tim Schmidt (Terenure College)
    22: Michael Courtney (CBC Monkstown)
    23: Adam Leavy (St. Michael’s College)
    http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/rugby

couple of changes been made to Ulsters u18 side for tomorrows game v Connacht in the sportsground
    http://www.intouchrugby.com/ulster schools u18 team to play connacht
    Connacht team to play Ulster
    http://domestic.connachtrugby.ie/201209112290/u18-schools-xv-to-face-ulster
    connacht 19s beat the exiles 17-6 at the weekend
    http://domestic.connachtrugby.ie/201209112288/connacht-u19-17-6-irfu-exiles-u19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Leinster u18 schools beat Munster u18 schools 34-12.
    McCormack, Brennan and Cleary crossed the line, that's all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Hagz wrote: »
    Leinster u18 schools beat Munster u18 schools 34-12.
    McCormack, Brennan and Cleary crossed the line, that's all I know.

I was at the game. First half was tight enough-Munster had the better of the forward exchanges and their set piece was very good. But the Leinster backs were just class-in particular Billy Dardis at full back. He made three of Leinster's four tries and was a constant threat. Timoney at eight was Leinster's best forward-he is very quick for a guy of his size. Brewer also had a good match-he has the physique to play at senior level in my view and he is still only 17. Munster have a very good fly half in Gairoid Lyons who's restarts and line kicking were excellent. But in all honestly Leinster still left 14 points out on the pitch and should have won by far more.

I was at the game. First half was tight enough-Munster had the better of the forward exchanges and their set piece was very good. But the Leinster backs were just class-in particular Billy Dardis at full back. He made three of Leinster's four tries and was a constant threat. Timoney at eight was Leinster's best forward-he is very quick for a guy of his size. Brewer also had a good match-he has the physique to play at senior level in my view and he is still only 17. Munster have a very good fly half in Gairoid Lyons who's restarts and line kicking were excellent. But in all honestly Leinster still left 14 points out on the pitch and should have won by far more.

Who got the fourth try?

Dardis seems to be quality. I've only seen him play in the Schools cup, but even then you could see that he had a lightning step and a real rugby brain. Leinster could do with a full-back coming through.

Who got the fourth try?

Dardis seems to be quality. I've only seen him play in the Schools cup, but even then you could see that he had a lightning step and a real rugby brain. Leinster could do with a full-back coming through.

Both wingers scored-both tries made by Dardis. Cleary scored which was made by Brewer and I think the fourth try, which there was a bit of confusion about as at first people thought the ref had just awarded a penalty under the posts not a try, was scored by one of the second rows or else the no 6 and was actually the first try scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Was also at the game and agree about Dardis a real prospect. Felt the Leinster forwards struggled at set piece which is surprising as that Clongowes coach has produced some outstanding packs for the past few years. If he sorts these lads out they will be some team.

• Advertisement

All the players playing today would be 16/17 and when you say senior level?
    Gearoid Lyons is a fine player and will do well in this years MSC with their 10,11,12 from todays munster side
    Quint how do munsters 13 steve mc mahon do? Seen him play quite a bit from when he played youths rugby in dungarvan and is a fine player.

A lot of (leinster) pics from the game.
    http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1209119/

Dont think the result of the other u18 game has been mentioned yet
    Ulster beat Connacht 23-0

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Leinster u19 Blue team to face Munster has been named:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10320.php

rugby_fan wrote: »
    Leinster u19 Blue team to face Munster has been named:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10320.php
    Leinster u19 white team to play exiles is also on the link.
    Alright number of youths players or players who only moved to schools in last few months in the 2 squads

ormond lad wrote: »
    Leinster u19 white team to play exiles is also on the link.
    Alright number of youths players or players who only moved to schools in last few months in the 2 squads

Didnt see white team ol, must of been added later,

4 youths players and one that moved to schools on blue squad, not a bad number, should be an good game

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Full time u19's game

leinster 32 munster 13

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Full time u19's game

leinster 32 munster 13
    Match report from Munster website www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10811
    No report up on leinsters website yet
    Couple of friendlies on tomorrow. CBC Cork play St Munchins in cork at both senior and junior level and Castletroy play Blackrock at junior level in castletroy, Gonzaga play St Marys at senior level.

Full time u19's game

leinster 32 munster 13

Have spoken with a number of people involved who say the game was ruined with a huge penalty count. Can anyone comment who was at the game! Still a fine win and should set them up nicely for the Ulster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    Have spoken with a number of people involved who say the game was ruined with a huge penalty count. Can anyone comment who was at the game! Still a fine win and should set them up nicely for the Ulster game.

was one of those young referees who wanted to prove his knowledge of the rule book and had little actual understanding of the game, unfortunately with that type of ref you can't say their decisions were wrong, just pointless and pedantic.

• Advertisement

Match report from Munster website www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10811
    No report up on leinsters website yet
    Couple of friendlies on tomorrow. CBC Cork play St Munchins in cork at both senior and junior level and Castletroy play Blackrock at junior level in castletroy, Gonzaga play St Marys at senior level.
    Mary's Seniors 13 Gonzaga Seniors 0
    Mary's Juniors 34 CUS Juniors 0
    CBC Seniors 24 Munchins Seniors 5.
    CBC Juniors 29 Munchins Juniors 10

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Mary's Seniors 13 Gonzaga Seniors 0
    Mary's Juniors 34 CUS Juniors 0
    CBC Seniors 24 Munchins Seniors 5.
    CBC Juniors 29 Munchins Juniors 10

Was at the Mary's-Gonzaga game and I have to say Mary's did not look great. Gonzaga were missing 9 lads through injuries/interprovincials and even threw on some of the thirds in the second half. AFAIK Mary's were missing no one and looked very average although their 13 looks like a decent player.

Leinster u19 White beat the Exiles u19s 24-7 this afternoon
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10330
    Plenty of games in Munster this week from u15 to Senior
    See http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10795.php
    All irish u18-20 training camps, fixtures can be seen on the file below

The Leinster Schools (Under-18) team to face Connacht on Wednesday afternoon in Donnybrook (KO: 2.30pm) has been named

LEINSTER SCHOOLS (UNDER-18):
    14: Adam Leavy (St. Michael’s College)
    10: Ross Byrne (St. Michael's College)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College) CAPTAIN

1: Eric O’Sullivan (Templeogue College)
    3: Oisin Heffernan (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    6: Josh Murphy (St. Michael's College)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Graham Reynolds (The Kings Hospital)
    17: Ntinga Mpiko (The Kings Hospital)
    18: Hugh O'Donnell (Newbridge College)
    20: Alex Penny (St. Michael's College)
    23: Cian O’Donoghue (Clongowes Wood College SJ)http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10338.php

The Leinster Schools (Under-18) team to face Connacht on Wednesday afternoon in Donnybrook (KO: 2.30pm) has been named

LEINSTER SCHOOLS (UNDER-18):
    14: Adam Leavy (St. Michael’s College)
    10: Ross Byrne (St. Michael's College)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College) CAPTAIN

1: Eric O’Sullivan (Templeogue College)
    3: Oisin Heffernan (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    6: Josh Murphy (St. Michael's College)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Graham Reynolds (The Kings Hospital)
    17: Ntinga Mpiko (The Kings Hospital)
    18: Hugh O'Donnell (Newbridge College)
    20: Alex Penny (St. Michael's College)
    23: Cian O’Donoghue (Clongowes Wood College SJ)http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10338.php

This could be an absolute try fest for Leinster considering what they did to Ulster and in turn what Ulster did to Connacht. I presume Jager got injured against Munster. There is no way he could have been dropped.

This could be an absolute try fest for Leinster considering what they did to Ulster and in turn what Ulster did to Connacht. I presume Jager got injured against Munster. There is no way he could have been dropped.
    The coaches may want to look at other options. Leinster should win but dont think itll be an absolute try fest
    Anyone know anything about the Leinster A schools squad that will be playing Munster A schools for the Joe Weafer Trophy in 2 games tomorrow week(in Musgrave Park) and tomorrow fortnight(in Donnybrook)

Leinster beat Connacht 61-3. Nine tries to nil. Connacht were actually a physically bigger outfit but the difference in skill levels was huge. I am convinced the referee was under instruction to keep the score down as, despite there being several time stoppages throughout the game for injuries, he played absolutely zero injury time. In fact he blew early in the first half as there was a serious injury to a Connacht player who was neck-braced and and subsequently stretchered off to hospital. Second half he blew on around 35 50 on the stadium clock (which was not stopped for injuries). He also awarded Leinster just 4 penalties in the entire game-despite them being on top in practically every facet. Considering they were charging people 10 euro in, I think his performance was a disgrace.

Anyway-rant over. Stand out players were Ross Byrne who kicked 8 out of 9 conversions and of course Dardis who grabbed a brace and who once again underlined his credentials as a player of undoubted potential. All in all probably the best Leinster schools team for some while and augers well for a fantastic Cup.

23 tries in 3 games. Quite an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And only conceded one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Thats some scoring. Is Joe Schmidts arrival as head coach starting to benefit underage level rugby in Leinster now? The strength of the schools game in Leinster helps too I'd say.

profitius wrote: »
    Thats some scoring. Is Joe Schmidts arrival as head coach starting to benefit underage level rugby in Leinster now? The strength of the schools game in Leinster helps too I'd say.

Possibly. But I just think it's more down to a particularly talented year. The make up of the Irish Schools team should be interesting.

profitius wrote: »
    Dont think JS arrival is directly benefiting but is to a small degree. At all levels his ethos of playing the game is coming through and the confidence in playing to the max of ones ability is really coming through.
    Leinster will always do well in schools considering the numbers playing and the standard of coaching in many schools.

Not directly related to the schools cups but Munster A played Connacht in the first A schools interpro in Musgrave Park today.
    Many of these players mainly play with their clubs but most will play in the early rounds of the Munster schools cup while some connacht players are in some of the rugby schools. From looking at the programme some of the players are in marist athlone
    Munster A schools beat Connacht 16-0 in a great game. Some great skills on show in a game that Munster probably
    Munster play Leinster next wednesday in Musgrave Park and the following wednesday in Donnybrook in 2 games where the team with the highest aggregate score after the 2 games wins the joe weafer trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I asked about Schmidts effect because the arrival of the New Zealanders is really helping Irish rugby move forward. Munster have been a breath of fresh air this season by playing intelligent, heads up rugby, looking to exploit space and being more unpredictable which makes them harder to defend against.

When the interviews for the Munster job were taking place everyone in the media wanted Anthony Foley to get the job. Penney hardly got a mention. Now I see Gerry Thornley admit he was wrong because of the effect Penney has had. No doubt since Schmidt, Penney etc have come in its opened the eyes of the Irish coaches and rugby public to a different brand of rugby and how rugby can (should IMO) be played and this will filter down to underage coaches. Its a slow process but it is happening. I bet Anscombe will have the same effect in Ulster. Already hes trusting young players and getting results.

Big win for Leinster. Surprised they won by that much
    Terenure playing an Argentinian school on monday
    There was quite a few games played in Munster both at junior and senior level. Glenstal beat St Munchins 52-12 in the Limerick Senior Cup. Considering the margin they lost Id assume Munchins were missing a lot of players.
    PBC played Midleton at senior level and played CBC at junior level. Dont know any results for these games.
    On friday Castletroy play Ard Scoil Ris in both the Senior and Junior Limerick Cups.
    While on Saturday dispite Munster playing Ulster in their final u18 schools interpro Bandon Grammar play Wesley College and Midleton College play CBC
    Cistercian Roscrea played the jez today. dont know the result
    match report from Munster A schools v Connacht interpro is http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10834.php

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10350.php
    LEINSTER UNDER-19 (BLUES):
    15: Cian Kelleher (St. Michael’s College)
    14: Jack Keating (Presentation College, Bray)
    13: Adam Byrne (UCD)
    12: Sam Sterling (Kilkenny College)
    11: Ian Fitzpatrick (The King’s Hospital)
    10: Conor McKeon (Gonzaga College SJ)
    9: Dermot Lavelle (Gonzaga College SJ)
    1: Peter Dooley (Lansdowne)
    2: Dylan Donnellan (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    3: Shane Delahunt (UCD) CAPTAIN
    4: Robert Somerville (Terenure College)
    5: Ross Molony (St. Michael’s College)
    6: Jack O’Neill (Castleknock College) VICE CAPTAIN
    7: Stephen Keelan (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    8: Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Matthew Lowe (Gonzaga College SJ)
    17: Eoghan McKeever (CBC Monkstown)
    18: Brian Cunningham (Lansdowne)
    19: Diarmaid Hickey (Kilkenny)
    20: Cormac O’Donoghue (Presentation College, Bray)
    21: Darragh Henry (Castleknock College)
    22: Daniel Jordan (CBC Monkstown)
    23: Mark O’Keeffe (St. Michael’s College
    24: Dermot O’Flynn (Blackrock College)
    25: Andrew Larkin (Belvedere College SJ)
    3 youths players starting(1,7,13) on 2 on the bench(18,19).
    Great to see nenagh man Sam Sterling start.

• Advertisement

3 youths players starting(1,7,13) on 2 on the bench(18,19).
    Great to see nenagh man Sam Sterling start.

Think this is the U19 Blue team. Stephen O'Neill broke his ankle in the last game hence the change at centre. Interesting to see Clongowes recruiting Youths players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Think this is the U19 Blue team. Stephen O'Neill broke his ankle in the last game hence the change at centre. Interesting to see Clongowes recruiting Youths players.

Really not a fan of it but it is great for the players.

Very interesting. Dont agree with it at all. Most schools recruit players from youths set up at different times. Rockwells winning Munster senior cup team in March had 4/5 in the 22 and another 3/4 in the panelled squad who had only moved to the school in last september or later in the school year.
    themont85 wrote: »
    Really not a fan of it but it is great for the players.
    Not a fan of it at all. The big schools like clongowes have 3/4 teams at all age groups and dont need anymore players. Highlighting the stronger youths players and bringing them to their school shows to me that winning is the most important thing and player development is behind winning an f'in schools cup in the long term.
    In many ways it is great for players as they get to train 3/4 times a week in an environment that they wouldnt otherwise get to play in

Munster Schools side to play Ulster tomorrow in ravenhill
    Robbie Deegan (Ard Scoil Ris), Steve McMahon (Rockwell College), JJ O’Neill (Crescent College Comprehensive), Paul Kiernan (PBC), Greg O’Shea (Capt.) (Crescent College Comprehensive), Gearoid Lyons (Crescent College Comprehensive), Ben Riley (Rockwell College), Liam O’Connor (CBC), Luke O’Halloran (St. Munchin’s College), Liam McMahon (Crescent College Comprehensive), Dylan Lane (PBC), Mike O’Donnell (Crescent College Comprehensive), Ben Kilkenny (St. Munchin’s College), David St. Ledger (PBC), Cormac Blake (Crescent College Comprehensive)
    Replacements: Denis O’Connell (Rockwell College), Sean McNulty (Rockwell College), Greg Roche (CBC), Frank Bradshaw Ryan (Ard Scoil Ris), Morgan Carey (PBC), John Poland (PBC), Aidan Moynihan (Rockwell College), Steven Fitzgerald (Ard Scoil Ris), Tomas Quinlan (CBC), Conor Flanagan (PBC), Edward O’Keefe (St. Munchin’s College).
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10842.php

Very interesting. Dont agree with it at all. Most schools recruit players from youths set up at different times. Rockwells winning Munster senior cup team in March had 4/5 in the 22 and another 3/4 in the panelled squad who had only moved to the school in last september or later in the school year.

Not a fan of it at all. The big schools like clongowes have 3/4 teams at all age groups and dont need anymore players. Highlighting the stronger youths players and bringing them to their school shows to me that winning is the most important thing and player development is behind winning an f'in schools cup in the long term.
    In many ways it is great for players as they get to train 3/4 times a week in an environment that they wouldnt otherwise get to play in

That's ridiculous at a micro level. It might help you win short term but leaves a bitter taste for some in the school about losing spots and the school's priorities.

For Irish rugby though, tbh it is good. Getting some of the brightest Youths into schools level (which is a big step up from Youths) and getting them in training as you say a few times a week is great. Being in a boarding environment and the access to facilities and coaching they wouldn't get otherwise is fantastic. It would certainly help in targeting talented multi football code athletes for instance and keeping them in rugby.

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous at a micro level. It might help you win short term but leaves a bitter taste for some in the school about losing spots and the school's priorities.

For Irish rugby though, tbh it is good. Getting some of the brightest Youths into schools level (which is a big step up from Youths) and getting them in training as you say a few times a week is great. Being in a boarding environment and the access to facilities and coaching they wouldn't get otherwise is fantastic. It would certainly help in targeting talented multi football code athletes for instance and keeping them in rugby.
    Yes it is ridiculous but it is not good. Some schools rugby is a step up from youths in many ways but Schools rugby is not the be all and end all. Multi Sport athletes can be kept playing rugby without going to boarding schools/rugby schools.
    The Leinster schools all do the same. Stephen Keelan who is on the Leinster 19s this year is down as Clongowes but only moved there in the last year as he was a leinster youth last september.
    It isnt good for irish rugby as it suggests if you want to do well you have to go to an expensive fee paying school.
    Being in a boarding environment can be great but it is a totally different environment to what the vast majority of people go through and suggests rugby is still elitest
    If schools are to take in players they must release a player in kind so that kid,if possible, can go play youths rugby in a club

Ulster u18 schools and 19s teams named for tomorrows games
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/news/10812.php

Yes it is ridiculous but it is not good. Some schools rugby is a step up from youths in many ways but Schools rugby is not the be all and end all. Multi Sport athletes can be kept playing rugby without going to boarding schools/rugby schools.
    The Leinster schools all do the same. Stephen Keelan who is on the Leinster 19s this year is down as Clongowes but only moved there in the last year as he was a leinster youth last september.
    It isnt good for irish rugby as it suggests if you want to do well you have to go to an expensive fee paying school.
    Being in a boarding environment can be great but it is a totally different environment to what the vast majority of people go through and suggests rugby is still elitest
    If schools are to take in players they must release a player in kind so that kid,if possible, can go play youths rugby in a club

Ulster u18 schools and 19s teams named for tomorrows games
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/news/10812.php

Surely the term "Recruit" is a personal view and people need to use the term in context. Their are a multitude of reasons for any boy moving schools! My own son is on a waiting list in 2 boarding schools and although he is a rugby player our decision has nothing to do with whether he plays JCT or SCT. In naming a player and suggesting he has been "Recruited" is unfair to the kid, unless you have personal knowledge of the named player and if you do, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Leinster u19s 30 Ulster u19s 16

And just like the 18s clash on the Wednesday, the ref was of very poor quality, making errors affecting both sides, but unlike, Wednesday at least it didnt cost me 10 euro to witness it :)

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    Surely the term "Recruit" is a personal view and people need to use the term in context. Their are a multitude of reasons for any boy moving schools! My own son is on a waiting list in 2 boarding schools and although he is a rugby player our decision has nothing to do with whether he plays JCT or SCT. In naming a player and suggesting he has been "Recruited" is unfair to the kid, unless you have personal knowledge of the named player and if you do, I stand corrected.
    You have a point about their being a multitude of reasons for someone moving school but in the vast vast majority of cases it is rugby that is the driving point behind the kids moving esp those who move just for 6th year or to repeat their leaving cert. Look at danny barnes, donnacha ryan as just a few examples and they are just some of the lads who made it to pro who moved for rugby reasons. there has been many more as well as those 2
    I could be wrong and naming a player is unfair is something i shouldnt have done but its clear to quite a few people IMO that the schools do "recruit" talented players from the youths system after watching them play at provincial or the sub provincial regional level.

Leinster u19s 30 Ulster u19s 16

And just like the 18s clash on the Wednesday, the ref was of very poor quality, making errors affecting both sides, but unlike, Wednesday at least it didnt cost me 10 euro to witness it :)
    Normally from what ive seen of interpros the past 6/7 years many refs are up and coming refs and are good refs.
    Match report from that u19 blue v ulster game is below

Schools is a huge step up from Youths after the age of 14, that's just the way our system is built.

Schools is a huge step up from Youths after the age of 14, that's just the way our system is built.
    Not from 14. At junior level the gap isnt that far at all. Its when kids enter senior cycle in school that the gap grows.
    That is the way the system is at the moment but the youths side has grown in numbers, strength, depth and is getting closer and closer at the senior age groups in many ways

Schools friendlies this week, i presume some interpros will be back playing considering the 18s schools interpros are finished, 19s interpros wont be back as theyve games next weekend.

Not from 14. At junior level the gap isnt that far at all. Its when kids enter senior cycle in school that the gap grows.
    That is the way the system is at the moment but the youths side has grown in numbers, strength, depth and is getting closer and closer at the senior age groups in many ways

Schools friendlies this week, i presume some interpros will be back playing considering the 18s schools interpros are finished, 19s interpros wont be back as theyve games next weekend.

How?

How?
    more numbers playing, better coaching, more and more resources being spent on youths rugby. provincial u18 clubs sides are getting as good as u18provincial schools sides in many cases.
    The club sides are also improving to a great extent
    Shannon-St Marys, last seasons u19 all ireland youths champions played st munchin, munster schools cup finalists and lost to them by a score or two. In the past the schools side would have won by 40-50 points
    It may be the way the system is built at the moment but the total fascination on schools rugby is crazy especially considering only half the number of 13-19 year olds playing rugby in ireland play in rugby playing schools.

I would agree with you Ormond Lad that the gap between the youths and schools is closing due to more resources being put in place for the youths etc however it's is still clear too see that not many make the break through when the two come together, with only two from the youths starting on the Leinster 19s blue team and one more starting with a year in a rugby school behind him

• Advertisement
Advertisement