Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of manual/stick shift is nigh

Options
  • 02-05-2012 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Looking for a new car and most of the dealerships seem to have a plethora of auto or DSG transmissions but we prefer a manual. It's a bit of a pain, some spots just didn't have a manual for test drive.....there's no demand mate.
    Looking at mid range size. I thought it was only in the USA that auto ruled but looks like its heading that way here. So my question is: what are people on here driving? Manual or Auto?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Mine's an auto and my misses' is a manual, my previous ute was a manual too. Whereabouts are you? I had plenty of choice in both when i was shopping around in January, though auto is a lot easier to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

3.5L V6 auto barge or a car

Over here it seems to be about 80-20 in favour of auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Autos bore me and I would only buy a manual.

Driving a slightly modified 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer ES and love it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Autos bore me and I would only buy a manual.
    i thought that but autos are great for long sit cruising or traffic. manual far more fun on back roads and it general but complete pain in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

i thought that but autos are great for long sit cruising or traffic. manual far more fun on back roads and it general but complete pain in traffic.

Ah but I catch the train door to door for work so pretty much never have to contend with traffic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I drive a Auto Ford falcon but every now and again I force myself to drive it by changing gears myself. Without the manual clutch though it feels wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I thought it was only in the USA that auto ruled but looks like its heading that way here.

They are taking over all over the place. I lived in the Caribbean and you could not get a manual transmission for love nor money. They thought I was crazy for even asking.

Same situation in the Phillipines. People don't seem to want to learn to drive a stick. It's pretty annoying to me.

also with 7 and 8 speed transmissions coming on line would you really want a manual for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

looks like its heading that way here.

Don't think its heading that way, think its already there.

Of 6598 BMW's currently on carsales, only 804 are manual - the rest (88%) are auto.

Have no interest in driving automatic cars myself - managed to get a manual Golf GTi which will do me here until I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Auto's convienience far outweighs the very occasional 'fun' you get from driving a manual. I'll not be going back to manual anytime soon. Unless you live in the countryside, I can't see why anyone would prefer a manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I THINK there's more Choice of manual in 4x4 vehicles here, since alot of off roading is about knowing your gears.

I managed to get a 2001 Mitsubishi triton Dual Cab 2.4 petrol rear wheel drive! It's in Perth if ya wanna buy it in July! ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Are many of ye using LPG? This is my first time having one with a tank fitted and it's a Godsend when filling the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have a gas falcon as well. Sadly gas is about 25% less effective than petrol. With gas going sorry flying up the gap is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I have 2 autos, wouldn't be arsed with a manual now. My brother and father both have autos now back home so it's not that odd these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭comeback_kid

3.5L V6 auto barge or a car

Over here it seems to be about 80-20 in favour of auto.

where as in ireland its about 95 - 5 in favour of manual , one thing you notice quickly when travelling abroad is that irish people have a peculiar aversion to automatic cars

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

I have found manuals are much harder to re-sell than autos so be careful what you choose.
    However there is a difference in price though with manuals being a couple of grand cheaper than autos especially for new cars.

Advertisement