Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Ironman : which one and why?

• 02-05-2012 7:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about doing an Ironman next year somewhere in Europe.
    Which one would you pick and why?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

911sc wrote: »
    I am thinking about doing an Ironman next year somewhere in Europe.
    Which one would you pick and why?
    Thanks

Does it have to be M Dot? If not you cannot get much bigger than Challenge Roth, i have not done it yet!! but i hear it comes highly recommended.

In terms of M Dot Austria, Frankfurt come highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Roth looks and sounds like it's awesome. The climb up the Solarer Berg and the support sounds crazy.

If I was to do a European Iron distance race it would be Roth (If I could get an entry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I've only done one and that Challenge Barcelona. I'd go back in a heartbeat, if my OH allowed me! :D Cracking venue, organisation and support. I think it's one that will soon be selling out on an annual basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Austria - great roads for cycle, nice swim location (brilliant support once you're swimming in the canal and starting to tire of the swim), partially shaded run, mass swim start (seriously this is part of what defines the IM for me!), brilliant support everywhere.

Lanzarote - (i haven't done this yet). The big daddy that everybody's scared of, mental swim start, hard windy cycle and searing heat on the run :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Depends what you are looking for....

for MDot, the most popular are IMAT and IMDE - as much for the fast times as anything else, I presume.

If the MDot is not a priority, Roth all the way - it is like an entire county takes the day off to support and promote this event.

For the crazy stuff, Norseman, Embrunman, Elbaman and IM Lanza and a few far out Eastern European options.

Alpe d'huez long course is also on my bucket list - unfinished business on that mountain.

IM France has taken a big bump in popularity with LA rockin' up to the start line, but any reports I've heard have said it is a very tough, but great event, and one of the "originals" along with Roth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

- M dotted is not a priority.
    - Lanzarote is a no. Probably to hard for the first IM.
    - IM Nice would be the easiest from a logistic view point. We have a base camp there, so could even trained on the bike course. I was looking at the bike course profil...the last 50kms seem like a downhill, though must get up there first:rolleyes: June could be very very hot.
    - Austria: seems to get the thumb up all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

in terms of ease would Austria be one of the easier one's ? if not, then which one's are considedred "easier"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    in terms of ease would Austria be one of the easier one's ? if not, then which one's are considedred "easier"

Well it gets shorter year on year..........

They are all the same really, the depth and strength of field at some of the races makes them seem easier than others based on times.q

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

I heard Zurich is good in terms of support and its quite flat with good roads.
    If your hardcore its got to be Lanzarote, dry heat, strong winds, good climbs, plus you get to recover in a nice mellow resort for a few days.

Advertisement