Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best streets album ever!!!

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Decided to do this poll as Mike Skinner of The Streets is running away with the best rap artist ever from England....

Also because i was listening to Radio Kerry's Paul Galvin a couple of weeks ago on his friday night slot and he done an hour long dedication to the The Streets.... It was very very interesting....

A lot of people will have there own opinion and thats great... People can't take away from the fact that The Streets have sold about 5 million albums and made there mark on British music...

It is proved again with the poll on this forum that The Streets are one the most important acts to come out of england in the last ten years...

Cult classic, not best seller:D

Best Streets Album Ever!!! 19 votes

Original Pirate Material
    0%
    A Grand Dont Come From Free
    68%
    darkmaster2weemcd[Deleted User]GiftofGabmufcboy1999danbrosnancoach22BREDNEPim invisibleDDDDDeannnnnYour_SongEggonyerfaceYo! MTV SUCKS 13 votes
    The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living
    26%
    MakaveliendurodavesoyawhatsupTemazLLU 5 votes
    Everything Is Borrowed
    0%
    Computers And Blues
    5%
    Seaneh 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Decided to do this poll as Mike Skinner of The Streets is running away with the best rap artist ever from England

Slick Rick is from England, why wasn't he in the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Slick Rick is from England, why wasn't he in the poll?

Because as he said in the other thread. He was trying to stick with rappers from the last 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Slick Rick will never be hailed as the Best rapper from England. He was born there he did not really rap there.

He left when he was 12 ffs. In 1977 him moving to the birthplace of hip-hop is what made him the rapper he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Because as he said in the other thread. He was trying to stick with rappers from the last 10-15 years.

Yet this term EVER!!!! keeps popping up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Slick Rick will never be hailed as the Best rapper from England. He was born there he did not really rap there.

He left when he was 12 ffs. In 1977 him moving to the birthplace of hip-hop is what made him the rapper he was.

His accent is very strong though and it's distinguishes him from other rappers. When I think of English rappers he's always the first one that comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

original pirate material no doubt about it,one of fav albums of all time,
    serious collection of tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

original pirate material no doubt about it,one of fav albums of all time,
    serious collection of tunes

Agreed, the following tracks are probably two of my favorites, Its To Late especially is one of the most underrated love songs of recent times. Beautiful.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    His accent is very strong though and it's distinguishes him from other rappers. When I think of English rappers he's always the first one that comes to mind.

Yeah, all great points for you personally.

He is a rapper born in England not an English rapper. He left when he was 12 when Hip-Hop was not very old in New York and was non existent in London I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

^^^^
    The greatest streets tune of all time,this song means so much to me,
    listened to this many a night smokin a spliff after a night on the 'small fellas',
    nostalgic to say the least
    :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Orignal priate material for me after that they went pop and commercial and I just stopped paying attention to them, made some awful cringe worthy music in their last few attempts.

On mike skinner running away with the greatest English rapper poll, wouldn't agree at all because as an actual rapper he's no where near it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

On mike skinner running away with the greatest English rapper poll, wouldn't agree at all because as an actual rapper he's no where near it IMO.

He's the easiest to listen to if you ask me, that's probably the main reason he's getting ahead of everyone else.
    He's the only english rapper who I'll actually listen to voluntarily, i only really listen to british rap when it comes on the radio or when im not bothered to change the channel when watching music channels.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

He's the easiest to listen to if you ask me, that's probably the main reason he's getting ahead of everyone else.
    He's the only english rapper who I'll actually listen to voluntarily, i only really listen to british rap when it comes on the radio or when im not bothered to change the channel when watching music channels.

It's a bit half and half for me sometimes he can be incredibly easy on the ear with that lazy like flow he has but other times it's just the complete opposite.

I'd actually describe him as horrible on a vast majority of his songs, his lryics can be pretty awful too.

Like I said though he has some great songs but also some absolute rubbish and I'm putting that nicely lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ if I was going into battle I would want to listen to this before

Absolutely love original pirate material, every second of it, really speaks to me. Very honest album.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

It's a bit half and half for me sometimes he can be incredibly easy on the ear with that lazy like flow he has but other times it's just the complete opposite.

I'd actually describe him as horrible on a vast majority of his songs, his lryics can be pretty awful too.

Like I said though he has some great songs but also some absolute rubbish and I'm putting that nicely lol.

Love the comments everybody... and yes he had some terrible songs but i still think the ones that he got right are some of the Best British Rap Songs Of all Time, i think a poll on which Streets song is the best is needed????

On his rap flow... In the first chapter of his new book he says directly why and how he changed his rap flow to meet the masses... he knew rapping like an american was not gonna work and rapping like a grime artist he couldn't do... And i think what he done was genius...

I remember years ago i knew this hard heavy metal artist and when he sat down with me to listen to opm, he said to me that it was the best album he had ever before heard and he didn't even like rap... That is why he is a genius...

On his albums after "Original Pirate Material and A Grand don't come for Free, i think are bad in places but amazing in others... Never Went to church is for me in his top three songs... Computer and Blues is another solid album but i do think he had some very bad songs in parts... but artist too and what he was doing he done all himself, wrote, produced, mixed and mastered... Nobody does that, absolutely no artist in the world does that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Computers And Blues
    For me, "Everything is borrowed" is my personal favourite.

The Escapist and Everything is borrowed being my favourite tracks from the album, that said, it's too late is my favourite streets song.

Those 3 are where Skinner is at his best lyrically.

The escapist is DEEP.

Seaneh wrote: »
    For me, "Everything is borrowed" is my personal favourite.

The Escapist and Everything is borrowed being my favourite tracks from the album, that said, it's too late is my favourite streets song.

Those 3 are where Skinner is at his best lyrically.

The escapist is DEEP.

I am so happy somebody has posted that about the Escapist because i love it too but i taught i was one my own with it.. lol and ya it's too late are great tune...:D

I think its a no Brainer... Original Pirate Material is Number 1*

Sales does not make you the best, Eminem is not the best rapper ever (even in his own list)

Sales does not make you the best, Eminem is not the best rapper ever (even in his own list)

Well if you take everything he's achieved into account you'd at least have to say that he's up there with the best of them regardless of sales because we all know nobody can touch him on that front.

Fair enough PAC is close but eminem didn't have to die to sell that many records, his sales are an amazing achievement but he is also more importantly a top drawer mc.

Well if you take everything he's achieved into account you'd at least have to say that he's up there with the best of them regardless of sales because we all know nobody can touch him on that front.

Fair enough PAC is close but eminem didn't have to die to sell that many records, his sales are an amazing achievement but he is also more importantly a top drawer mc.

He is up there but he features on very few peoples top 5 lists that is my point. I own all of his albums (yes even relapse)

Eminem was more commercial and more mainstream hence him selling more. Also on the 2pac point, Eminem is still alive so that would also lead to more sales…. even with Eminems hiatus of 5 ish years he has been around the top for longer.

This is nothing on comparing Eminem to 2pac. Eminem is often hailed as the best as he sold most that is my point. I do not think this is true much like how 2pac is not no1/2 because he sold a lot either.

• Advertisement

I can't say who the best rapper is all i have is a top five in no order...

Nas
    Eminem
    Biggie
    Pac
    Kano

Did noone like the Computers and Blues Album!!!:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Original Pirate Material is by far his best work. A grand dont come for free could have been great, but I thought it had too much of a commercial feel to it.

But one thing that annoys the hell out of me about Mike Skinner is that he is a brutal live performer.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Original Pirate Material is by far his best work. A grand dont come for free could have been great, but I thought it had too much of a commercial feel to it.

But one thing that annoys the hell out of me about Mike Skinner is that he is a brutal live performer.

I didn't think "AGDCFF had a commercial feel to it but i taught there was some excellent songs on it but some very very bad songs... "Cry your eyes mate is a classic and made the streets but "OPM is our cult classic i think it holds a special place in all our hearts... kids of the late 90's and early 00's.... :D "Pill lovers and weed tokers"

Advertisement