Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move "Report post" button on touch site?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident or not but the "Report post" button on the touch site is causing some problems. Because it's on the bottom right of the post, where the "Reply" button is on the full site, it is very easy for people to accidentally report a post instead of replying to it. I know when you get into the next screen it says "Report Post" and then you have a message box but it looks exactly the same as when you're replying to a thread.

I know it's causing problems in our private forum, especially since only one of the mods actually has access to the Reported Posts forum so if he's not online, the hmods cannot go in and delete it.

Is this a common problem? Is it something that might be looked at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

I'll be honest with you, there's not a whole heap we can do if people continue through a form with a different heading and different words on the button (Post Reply vs Send Report). There's also a distinct lack of text in the report box, whereas when you click reply on a post you get the quote of that post filled in already.

It is something I've looked at here and changed over, will give it more consideration next week some time.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

I'll be honest with you, there's not a whole heap we can do if people continue through a form with a different heading and different words on the button (Post Reply vs Send Report). There's also a distinct lack of text in the report box, whereas when you click reply on a post you get the quote of that post filled in already.

It is something I've looked at here and changed over, will give it more consideration next week some time.

Danny

i dont know either danny if it occurred to you in testing but another reason not to move it is because well for me at least and 85% of the population that are right-handed, our thumb when typing usually graduates to the left of the screen, the report button is off over on the right at the moment.

your thumb would not naturally be positioned over to the right where the report post button is, now if you imagine swapping the post reply and report button around, im just thinking that there'd be plenty more accidental clicks on the report post button, there's no excuse for the follow through though really because as you pointed out- they are two totally different screens you're presented with.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Maybe a simple (well what I IMAGINE would be simple!) solution would be to have the "report post" button in red to make a clearer distinction between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maybe a simple (well what I IMAGINE would be simple!) solution would be to have the "report post" button in red to make a clearer distinction between the two.

This is a great suggestion. To add to it, I would say move the report post button on the touch site over to the far left; all the buttons for interacting with users (i.e. quoting, multi-quoting, quick-replying and thanking) are on the right hand side on the main site but report post is on the left hand side. Inverting this on the touch site doesn't seem to yield any benefit so I can't see the reason for it.

Also, the report post button on the touch site is the same size and shape as the create post button and only situated a cm above it, so it's easy to go for the latter and hit the former. Both buttons bring you to an empty text box (unlike the Reply button on touch which will quote the post) with admittedly different titles; however, nobody reads these titles as they assume they have pressed the correct button.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement