Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physically can't eat vegetables?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

I'm just about to turn 24, and am a student.

When I was younger, under protest, I would eat a veg, but was never a fan. The older I got, I ate less veg, to the point were around the age of 14 maybe, I just completely avoided it like the plague.

It was the texture of veg. Would make me gag, and want to vomit for just biting into it. So I just ate **** for the past few years. I've heard this to be a common problem. People hate the texture, or the juices, or something else, and they believe they physically CANNOT endure eating it.

That was until last Sunday.

I was in the library, absolutely starving. For once the cafe was actually open on a sunday, so i mustered up some change to take a break from studying for the exams.

Chillie chicken an chips. I had gotten this before. Honey in the sauce....was lovely. Had a piece of chicken, some chips...looked at the plate at stared down the veg. Remember for about 10 years i would meticulously remove all traces of veg from a piece of chicken before eating it.

I got some onions, some green peppers, some chicken and dipped it in the sauce and ate it. The crunch was loud...i was expecting it, but because i was so hungry and just said feck it and went for it, i didnt gag.

Cleaned the plate, and told my shocked gf, who to be fair had been trying to inspire such a revolt for me for some time.

Last night I could finally have wraps...something I've always thought looked lovely but was afraid the veg would ruin it. Fair enough, I've only had green, red and yellow peppers and onions (all new to me), but last night while eating the fajitas i just couldnt believe one thing:

I have been missing out on AWESOME food.

So I'm going to work my way through veg and exercise for the summer in an effort to lose 2 stone before my graduation in August. Kicking the smokes. Simply can't believe I have been so stubborn about veg for this long.

A I know its a common problem, for a long time I found solace in knowing other people 'cant' eat veg....but im sorry, if i could finally do it, anyone can. It is in fact all in the head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I cannot stand fussy eaters... I always think it's 'in their head'. Your post pleases me somewhat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

olaola wrote: »
    I cannot stand fussy eaters... I always think it's 'in their head'. Your post pleases me somewhat!

it's still very early in my veggie eating career, but i plan on trying stuff over the summer...

i am pretty sure i dont like lettuce, and mayonaisse...but everything else is fair game right now :D

spinage is top of the must try list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I am in the same boat. not until my mid twenties did I start eating somne veg. Still dont eat enough but try to get one portion in a dat either via a veg soup, some peas or grean beans with my fish in the evening or maybe fajitas(about two peppers and an onion). Also I recomend honey roasted parsnips, tasty!!

Next on my list is brocolli and apparently it is a super food!! I am resigned to the fact I will never eat leafy salady stuff like lettuce. I tried but did not like it at all and it ruined my burger. Also cauliflower is a no no for me.

Keep upm the good fight op!!

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Mod Edit: Trolling post deleted.

But back on topic, I was (and still am to some extent) a fussy veg eater. I will eat onions, peppers and turnip but the rest not so much. I would eat carrots in a stew but would never have them on their own or as a side. Peas are banished from my kitchen as are leeks and any of those pulses. Cucumber can fúck right off (pardon my french) as far as I'm concerned.

Still, I'm always in the mindset that I will try anything once. Definitley OP you are opening up your palate to new delights, go for it and as I said, try it at least once, you'll never know till it's tasted.

frag420 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. not until my mid twenties did I start eating somne veg. Still dont eat enough but try to get one portion in a dat either via a veg soup, some peas or grean beans with my fish in the evening or maybe fajitas(about two peppers and an onion). Also I recomend honey roasted parsnips, tasty!!

Next on my list is brocolli and apparently it is a super food!! I am resigned to the fact I will never eat leafy salady stuff like lettuce. I tried but did not like it at all and it ruined my burger. Also cauliflower is a no no for me.

Keep upm the good fight op!!

frAg

well the simple truth is we are both well behind the majority! we have to learn an entire food group, and just like anything else need to uncover whats nice and what isnt!

there was honey in the chillie chicken i had last week, so that sounds like an absolute plan! thanks for the encouragement :)

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    Because he wouldn't eat his vegetables either. No veg angries up the blood.

But back on topic, I was (and still am to some extent) a fussy veg eater. I will eat onions, peppers and turnip but the rest not so much. I would eat carrots in a stew but would never have them on their own or as a side. Peas are banished from my kitchen as are leeks and any of those pulses. Cucumber can fúck right off (pardon my french) as far as I'm concerned.

Still, I'm always in the mindset that I will try anything once. Definitley OP you are opening up your palate to new delights, go for it and as I said, try it at least once, you'll never know till it's tasted.

well the best thing is, and with a troll following this will be a disaster, but the gag reflex i had with the texture of veg.

im much more open to the idea of trying something new. like the wraps last night i was picking at the raw peppers just trying everything that was being cooked, even going back for seconds. my mindset has just changed completely! sad to say it, but im looking forward to googling recepies for the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

El Spearo wrote: »
    well the best thing is, and with a troll following this will be a disaster, but the gag reflex i had with the texture of veg.

im much more open to the idea of trying something new. like the wraps last night i was picking at the raw peppers just trying everything that was being cooked, even going back for seconds. my mindset has just changed completely! sad to say it, but im looking forward to googling recepies for the summer!

Get some roasted sweet potato into you. Great veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If you like peppers, you will probably like other sweet veg like sweet potato, butternut squash and carrots.

Oh you'll be so glowy and lovely after eating veg now :D

ElleEm wrote: »
    If you like peppers, you will probably like other sweet veg like sweet potato, butternut squash and carrots.

yeah like im leaving college next week to go back home for the summer...and lets just say my mother is already stocking the house with veg. yeah i live at home = :cool:

but it should be perfect to work on my own cooking. see my missus is german and when i visit her family always makes such an effort to cook for me...i just wanna enjoy german cuisine, and not there is a real chance i can let my palate give everything a fair chance.

Did your name just change

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Troll posts (and replies to it) deleted. Please don't bring it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Did your name just change

No.

I am confused!

No.

I am confused!

thought it was pearl a second ago and it changed...

glitch in the matrix job.

But yeah, open to more ideas...

i like the connections between peppers and sweet potatoes, and even the honey turnips sound quite nice!

keep em coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Your health must be shocking?

Your health must be shocking?

not really...great immune system, weighing 15 stone, full of energy. It's like my body just adapted to shíte.

but my target weight is 13st by august, and i think this new found want for veg should help with that.

ive always liked potatoes and mushrooms and they were literally the only things that hadnt died that i eat...excluding bread obv!

I think it was just luck im so healthy now, but that health is relative to my diet...i can become a lot healthier!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm on a similar journey, just started eating veg last year. I had been eating sweet potato for a while and an occasional carrot but went all out and added greens, peppers, lots of tomato.

I still don't love onions or broccoli, but I love things like peas (Garden, Petit Pois, Mangetout and my favourite; Sugarsnaps) spinach, butterhead lettuce (not a fan of iceberg).

A lot of things take a few tries to get the hang of but some I'm not sure I'll ever really like but at least I'll try them now.

You'll now be able to make all sorts of stir fries. Try one with julienne carrots! Keep a bag of frozen peas in the freezer and you'll be able to green up any meal even if you're out of fresh veg.

There are so many nice things you can put in a salad too: rocket, spinach, pine nuts, cashews, grapes, bacon, grated carrot...mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

sad to say it, but im looking forward to googling recepies for the summer!
    You should have a look here too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055634281

Lots of tasty ideas for veg that you mightn't think of (and which you can always add meat to, of course).

Fair play, OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's definitely a purely psychological thing and it's also definitely worth getting it dealt with.

A friend of mine had a similar problem and when we sat down and analysed it, the original problem stemmed from being forced to eat vegetables as a kid, and they were particular vegetables he really did not like the taste of.

It's worth figuring out what started your dislike of vegetables, as it is usually some early experience that results in a reaction that isn't really very rational.

Having a parent who is really bad at cooking vegetables or who cooks some awful vegetable dishes and then forces someone to eat them is usually the start of it!

If you want to really get into fruit and vegetables, pick up a really good veggie cookbook e.g. I would recommend any of Dennis Cotter's books (Cafe Paradiso in Cork). Or do a bit of Googling for free recipes. There are some great ones in the Guardian.

Also, try and check out a veggie restaurant (a good one e.g. Cafe Paradiso) and you will have a totally different view of vegetables. These guys can produce absolutely amazing dishes that are most definitely not just a vegetarian compromise, they are absolutely amazing flavours combined to perfection!

This blog is also pretty good for recipes : http://adventuresinveg.com/ (She's an Irish journalist and does some pretty interesting veggie cooking on her blog)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also bear in mind that, as we've discussed already in another thread, your tastes change with age, and something that you're absolutely convinced you won't like because you hated it as a child, might pleasantly surprise you.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    It's definitely a purely psychological thing and it's also definitely worth getting it dealt with.

A friend of mine had a similar problem and when we sat down and analysed it, the original problem stemmed from being forced to eat vegetables as a kid, and they were particular vegetables he really did not like the taste of.

It's worth figuring out what started your dislike of vegetables, as it is usually some early experience that results in a reaction that isn't really very rational.

Having a parent who is really bad at cooking vegetables or who cooks some awful vegetable dishes and then forces someone to eat them is usually the start of it!

If you want to really get into fruit and vegetables, pick up a really good veggie cookbook e.g. I would recommend any of Dennis Cotter's books (Cafe Paradiso in Cork). Or do a bit of Googling for free recipes. There are some great ones in the Guardian.

Also, try and check out a veggie restaurant (a good one e.g. Cafe Paradiso) and you will have a totally different view of vegetables. These guys can produce absolutely amazing dishes that are most definitely not just a vegetarian compromise, they are absolutely amazing flavours combined to perfection!

This blog is also pretty good for recipes : http://adventuresinveg.com/ (She's an Irish journalist and does some pretty interesting veggie cooking on her blog)

yeah i think it was just all me. rather than eat food that took effort i would eat what tasted good. fast food became a habit, one im looking forward to breaking!
    Alun wrote: »
    Also bear in mind that, as we've discussed already in another thread, your tastes change with age, and something that you're absolutely convinced you won't like because you hated it as a child, might pleasantly surprise you.

yeah lots of foods falling into that category. even pasta i wouldnt eat, but thats next on my list too.
    You should have a look here too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055634281

Lots of tasty ideas for veg that you mightn't think of (and which you can always add meat to, of course).

Fair play, OP :)

meat is always essential :P thanks for the link and the support :)
    hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm on a similar journey, just started eating veg last year. I had been eating sweet potato for a while and an occasional carrot but went all out and added greens, peppers, lots of tomato.

I still don't love onions or broccoli, but I love things like peas (Garden, Petit Pois, Mangetout and my favourite; Sugarsnaps) spinach, butterhead lettuce (not a fan of iceberg).

A lot of things take a few tries to get the hang of but some I'm not sure I'll ever really like but at least I'll try them now.

You'll now be able to make all sorts of stir fries. Try one with julienne carrots! Keep a bag of frozen peas in the freezer and you'll be able to green up any meal even if you're out of fresh veg.

There are so many nice things you can put in a salad too: rocket, spinach, pine nuts, cashews, grapes, bacon, grated carrot...mmmmm.

this all sounds good!

carrots im wary of, but i know i will like them. brocolli and carrots i just to eat younger alright, and apparently i liked them!

its just good to know there are others had the same thing and that i can change my ways !

thanks for the replies everyone and keep me coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

In my experience most people that dislike food do so due to associations rather than the food itself.

Mayonnaise, tuna, brown sauce etc being examples.

I like most foods, smoked salmon doesn't really do much for me, nor does egg salad or quiche. I'm sure if I had a really nice egg salad or quiche it'd be grand.

i take back something i said earlier...

just went to subway and im okay with lettuce. :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Good for you having a go at something new.

My OH is not the best for eating veg and when we started going out he would pretty much only eat carrots. Now he eats loads more, spinach and green beans being some of his favourites.

You might try spinach wilted down with a little butter, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg - it is delicious. My top tip for broccoli is to roast it with garlic and cumin seeds (about 20 - 25 mins in hot oven) - it is a revelation of flavour, much nicer than just steamed or boiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's perfectly fine to dislike the taste or textrue of individual vegetables, or any food.
    But some veg are nothing like other in either area. I've always seen it as a mental thing.
    For example you like onion and peppers and onions in the fatijitas (actually my favs along with mushrooms too btw). They taste or feel nothing like green beans or broccolli for example.

Also, a lot people were probably served poor food growing up which won't help their impression of food.

should have added earlier, someone commented on fruit...

i absolutely love fruit! pretty much all fruit.

apples, pears, oranges, bananas, strawberries, kiwis grapes...name it i like it...absolutely no problem there...

going for lunch at 3 now, and going to see what i can get on a brown roll with some chicken or ham. thinking lettuce, onions, corn, and maybe cucumber.

back from lunch..

dont laugh but i never had lasagne before.

was lovely. had peppers onions and peas with a side of fries...

pea's added to the list!

this also paves the way for pasta dishes. pasta was a no go for me due to the texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Easy on the pasta, it won't help with weight loss.

I eat all veg apart from turnip. I had a bad experience once but you've inspired me to try it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I eat all veg apart from turnip. I had a bad experience once but you've inspired me to try it again :)

Nothing wrong with pasta, it's quite possible to eat pasta and lose weight. Just eat appropriate portions and get the wholegrain stuff.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with pasta, it's quite possible to eat pasta and lose weight. Just eat appropriate portions and get the wholegrain stuff.

yup i know to take it easy on the carbs!

i have two family members have had great success with weight watchers, and ill be asking them for recipes and advice too...no point in me spending money on it myself :P

and yeah, when i get home ill be getting all the proper veg...

ill give turnip a proper go if you do ;)

Advertisement