Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physically can't eat vegetables?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I used to have real issues with veg and its only since I've moved far away from my relations that I can actually enjoy them. I never liked the way they prepared them so now I've my own way and it works great for me. Slowly working back to the turnips and carrots.

Great veggie dish:
    Peppers, mushroom, courgette, aubergine, tomato, sometimes a bit of red onion, garlic. Pepper, some herbs (I used a mix I get in Lidl) some olive oil. Stick in the oven.
    Lovely.
    2 years ago I'd have bolted the opposite direction to a courgette or aubergine. I've been missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you or anyone else are having problems eating onion - raw onion is caustic stuff with a really strong flavour and there's no shame in not eating them like apples. :pac:

However, cooked onions and garlic are a necessity in nearly all savoury dishes. You can also treat celery and carrots the same way to a certain degree. I put very finely diced celery and grated carrot in my Spaghetti Bolognese and Chili Con Carne recipes, for example.

If you need to trick yourself chop them very small like this:

They become one with the sauce and aren't noticeable but give a base to the flavour.

Roast root veg with a little honey over them
    carrots, parsnips, fresh beetroot (not pickled!), sweet potato are all magnificent with a roast dinner and dead easy.

On the health front. Don't buy tins of readymade sauces or soups or any of that lark. It's not as nice or as healthy as fresh stuff.
    This forum is great and of course if you're looking for recipes there's many seriously good cooks with a huge range of knowledge.

A well rounded tomato soup:
    1 medium celery stick
    1 medium carrot
    1 medium onion
    4 cloves of garlic
    4 tomatoes (remove skin by dipping the tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for about 25 seconds and then quickly removing and putting under the cold tap or by dunking in a bowl of ice water - skin basically falls off)
    1 chili (optional but delicious)
    1 Pepper
    3 bay leaves

Basically, chop up and fry all the vegetables at a fairly high heat stirring them around so as not to burn, for about 10 minutes.
    Then add a jar of tomato passata and the same amount again of water, salt, pepper and simmer for about 30 minutes.
    Take out bay leaves and blend with a hand blender until it's the consistency you want. Add water if needed to thin the sauce. Season as necessary. If it's too bitter use a tiny bit of honey.

Throw in some chopped coriander or basil if you want. Yum.
    And you can fiddle around with the recipe and throw in any other vegetables that take your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

i was using that trick of making the onion disappear alright. The smell of them cooking with a steak was simply amazing!

But yester had a subway with big chunks of red onion and i could even feel them in my mouth under my teeth and they were grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Green beans steamed for 10/15 minutes (keep them crunchy), drizzled with fresh garlic butter - heaven on a plate.......

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Try 'Honey roasted parsnips' you will love them :)
    Glad you got over your veg hating phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wafa

I love most veg but I can't stand fruit.

Wafa wrote: »

have you tried smoothies ?

last summer i went of a kick of yoghurt, strawberries, bananas, apples tropicana...and bunged all into a blender...

guts of the 5 a day in one go and it was delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I was exactly the same OP. I used to literally gag when I ate vegetables. I read somewhere that your taste buds are different when you're young and things that adults can eat, children will find taste awful or bitter etc.

I also read that it takes you eating something 10 times for your palette to get used to it. Well i was out recently and ordered a steak and as my side I had a big plate of broccoli. I'm used to forcing myself to eating broccoli - it had never been a very regular thing to me, but when I tasted it that time, I couldn't believe it. It was delicious!! WTF like, broccoli.

It can be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Wafa wrote: »

Yeah, I can't eat much fruit either, think it's too acidic or something.

Veg though, I love. OP, welcome to the wonderful world of deliciousness! Good luck with all the new foods.
    Roasting vegetables tend to be sweeter than just boiled or steamed, especially carrots. Also, sweet potato, turnip and butternut squash make a lovely mash, with a little cinnamon or nutmeg added.

Oh, and roasted aubergine... oh my God, I could eat that every day. It has to be really well roasted though, almost liquefied. Baked with tomato and red peppers and covered in mozzarella cheese nom nom nom Roasted aubergine = bone marrow of the veg world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Mellor wrote: »
    Also, a lot people were probably served poor food growing up which won't help their impression of food.

This is so true. Growing up the only vegetables in my house were boiled cabbage, boiled turnip, boiled carrots or broccoli, that was it. I never saw sweetcorn, courgette, aubergine (oh la la!) peppers, any herbs or spices, peas that weren't marrow fat from a packet. My mother only really cooked stews with grisly meat and she'd happily serve the same meal for days at a time, we were never exposed to different foods. All three of us kids grew up chronically fussy eaters, my youngest brother in particular to the extent that my parents thought he might have autism.

I know from the outside I would have come across as spoilt and attention seeking but honestly I was such an anxious, quiet child I hated that I couldn't eat food and would nearly have panic attacks at the thought of visiting friend's houses. It's hard to explain to a non-fussy person what it's like to have to eat something that in your head is inedible. Even back then I knew it was psychological but a psychological aversion is every bit as real as a physical one and they become one and the same, especially to a child.

For us three kids we all changed when we moved out of home and started experimenting with things like stir fries and fajitas, new was of cooking vegetables and *shock horror* adding herbs which my mother would never have done. Now all three of us are great adventurous eaters and my brother who wouldn't have touched a potato is like a bottomless pit who'll eat mussels off rocks at the beach.

There are still three things that I'll no, nay never put past my lips and that includes peanuts, cucumber and raw tomato. Which means I'm not great with salad-y food but apart from that most foods are fair game. Still wont eat my mother's cooking though - yeuch.

• Advertisement

no big updates on the veg, but had sweetcorn yesterday...was nice!

there was something else in it too along with mushrooms, but i already knew i liked mushrooms.

broke now, so its gonna be an unhealthy few days until i finally get home from college!

Advertisement