Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolton Away 2 May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

THFC wrote: »
    Scored 4 with Parker not on the pitch, in the last 6 games we've gotten 6 in 2 games compared to 2 goals in 4 games when he played. He was immense for us this season but he needs to be dropped for the remaining games, he adds nothing going forward, and in fact I think he restricts us. No doubt he'll be back though when fit.

Great performance tonight, Bolton really had us under the cosh after HT but that goal from Van the man shattered them. Modric back to his outstanding best, and what a goal! Good to see Ade getting 2 as well, his second was very wel taken.

Harsh mate, he has been outstanding when he has played this season, and you can be guaranteed that had he been fit, he'd have played tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Scored 4 with Parker not on the pitch, in the last 6 games we've gotten 6 in 2 games compared to 2 goals in 4 games when he played. He was immense for us this season but he needs to be dropped for the remaining games, he adds nothing going forward, and in fact I think he restricts us. No doubt he'll be back though when fit.

A bit harsh, he was central to our big winning streak earlier on in the season too, and Blackburn and Bolton are particularly poor at the moment.

I think Parker is just Knackered and needs a rest, on form i think he is vital for spurs. But, if its not broke, dont fix it, id be happy to go with the same eleven against Villa at the weekend. Sandro certainly does add the extra attacking option, but when he is forward you can be pretty sure Modric aint going to cover properly in midfield!

What a strike by Modric, frightened the life out of the nipper roaring when that went in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Did really well to hold off Bolton at 1-1 when they were having a good spell, I was convinced Davies was going to score from one of those corners. Gallas had my heart pumping a few times.

Good team performance, was impressed with Rafa’s. Congrats to Ade for netting two, I’ll still give him stick though.

No need to change the team around for Villa. Can’t see why we can’t put in the same performance against them? The Fulham game would have me more troubled than Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Harsh mate, he has been outstanding when he has played this season, and you can be guaranteed that had he been fit, he'd have played tonight.
    mushykeogh wrote: »
    A bit harsh, he was central to our big winning streak earlier on in the season too, and Blackburn and Bolton are particularly poor at the moment.
    It's not harsh, it's completely justified, Parker slows everthing down, there's no drive to his game, which would be fine in a 3 man midf, but not when we play 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2. What annoys me a lot about him is when he's drifting around the field looking for the ball when we have posession, then he gets the ball and he plays straight back to the player that gave it to him, then that player will try and give it to him again and he plays straight back, I mean why look for the ball if you don't want it, either sit back and act as cover or try and add some penetration, which, unfortunately, he is incapable of. His runs deep into the opposition half annoy me too, more often than he'll bomb down to the touchline, closer to the corner flag than the goal, and then either send in a poor cross/pass or just over run it completely and send it out for a goal kick.
    It sounds as if I dislike him, but I really do like him, he was a central part of our team when we were high flying in the middle of the season, but he's gone off the boil big time the last 2 or so months, and it drives me mad watching him when we are on the attack. Despite that he certainly is one of the candidates for our player of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great performance tonight, Bolton really had us under the cosh after HT but that goal from Van the man shattered them. Modric back to his outstanding best, and what a goal! Good to see Ade getting 2 as well, his second was very wel taken.

I think Parker has been wrecked in recent weeks and his performances have dropped off as a result. Some of that is on Redknapp though as he could have played Sandro or indeed Livermore more earlier in the season to give Parker a break.

Sandro was very good again tonight. Loved him defending those successive corners against Kevin Davies. His height is actually an overlooked factor as we are not a big team in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

First win at Bolton since 1996!
    Sandro will be a force to reckon with next year.
    Great attitude since he came to Spurs, something Modric could work on?
    If he wants to go, I'd say, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!"
    May I add, well done Harry for getting the team focused again for the run in.
    I can see us win against Villa and Fulham but only late on against Fulham.
    I think West Brom will draw or beat Arsenal.
    City should do Newcastle.
    Swansea to draw with Utd.
    City for the Title.
    I hope City win it. Good side and a fair Manager in Mancini.
    Take a seat Fergie, it's over!

Modric sat in a deep position for the game protecting the back four, but was still very influential. It worked a treat but looked a tad unsual?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I really like Mancini so a small part of me is delighted for him particularly with how he stood his ground with the Tevez saga. BUT I don't like anyone buying the league I can't stand utd at the best of times so it's a big deal when I say I hope Newcastle Nick a draw on Sunday.

Anyway, if we do manage to get CL spot this season (hopefully 3rd) I agree with yidweiser that anyone looking for a transfer should be moved on for the highest price. I don't want anyone here next season not 100% focused on pushing us forward.

ziedth wrote: »
    I really like Mancini so a small part of me is delighted for him particularly with how he stood his ground with the Tevez saga. BUT I don't like anyone buying the league I can't stand utd at the best of times so it's a big deal when I say I hope Newcastle Nick a draw on Sunday.

Anyway, if we do manage to get CL spot this season (hopefully 3rd) I agree with yidweiser that anyone looking for a transfer should be moved on for the highest price. I don't want anyone here next season not 100% focused on pushing us forward.

Eh? Did he not say that he'd never play for the club again? Without Tevez being brought back in to the fold I doub't they'd have caught Utd. Where's Dzeko these days?

What I mean is he left him off to Argentina and I'd imagine would have left him rot out there. It was Telex made the move to come back. Now,.I would love him even more if he left him in the reserves when he came back and just sold him in the summer but like you said bringing him back into the first team may just have won city the league so he was right in the long run. I just think allot of clubs or managers would have backed down first.

• Advertisement

I like Macini, he never dodges any awkward questions throw at him unless it’s to do with winning the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Awful harsh criticism of Modric and Parker. Fickle fickle "fans".

So Modric kicked up a fuss in the summer cos he wanted to join a more ambitious club and earn twice as much money. It hurts, but it's unreasonable of us to require him to love Spurs as much as we do.

He has run his little legs into the ground all season for us, which was all fine when we were winning, but when he gets tired and we go through a lull the knives come out.

Parker has taken my breath away this season. We have been literally crying out for a midfielder who had passion and tackled. We finally got one and he can pass too. And he cost 6m. And still we complain.

I must say I am loving Sandro and think he should be kept on for the remaining 2 games, but shame on anyone who bad mouths Parker. I have supported Spurs through years and years of Jenas and Nielsen and Freund and Davis and Carrick and Palacios and Tainio and many more who are so **** I can't even remember their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Agree with your Parker comments, I just hope there is a way HR can accomadate both players at the same time - espesically in away games.

Sandro was immense in the 2nd half of last season. I dunno why it took HR so long to give him a run in the team this term.

PArker is getting on a bit and he wont have much of a rest of the summer so hopefully Harry will rotate them both next season as they need to be physically fresh in order to be at their most effective...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

ziedth wrote: »

How exactly have Man U maintained their position if it wasn't through money? The money Utd paid for Pallister, Keane and a few more were massive records once a time too, its a complete fallacy to say they haven't bought success the same way City or Chelsea have. At least City only have money and not an endless list of officials onside to boot.

After living in the shadow of the taliban since the late 80's we should be a bit more happy for City getting one over their neighbours, but still each to their own.

golfball37 wrote: »
    How exactly have Man U maintained their position if it wasn't through money? The money Utd paid for Pallister, Keane and a few more were massive records once a time too, its a complete fallacy to say they haven't bought success the same way City or Chelsea have. At least City only have money and not an endless list of officials onside to boot.

After living in the shadow of the taliban since the late 80's we should be a bit more happy for City getting one over their neighbours, but still each to their own.

I'm no fan of UTD but they are the most valuable sports team in the world and have been up there for many years. Of course they have spent money but there is a world of diference between them and some billion are who could just as easily have bought us, Villa or Sunderland coming in and spending 500m on players/staff in a couple of years to obtain success. Believe it or not if you offered me the same thing to happen to spurs i'd turn it down flat.

I don't think it will matter one iota but these new spending rules would be a welcome addition if they cut this kind of shíte out.

Your of course entitled route for whoever you want but if a city win didn't benefit spurs on Sunday i'd be shouting for Newcastle all day long.

Ormus wrote: »
    Awful harsh criticism of Modric and Parker. Fickle fickle "fans".

So Modric kicked up a fuss in the summer cos he wanted to join a more ambitious club and earn twice as much money. It hurts, but it's unreasonable of us to require him to love Spurs as much as we do.

He has run his little legs into the ground all season for us, which was all fine when we were winning, but when he gets tired and we go through a lull the knives come out.

Parker has taken my breath away this season. We have been literally crying out for a midfielder who had passion and tackled. We finally got one and he can pass too. And he cost 6m. And still we complain.

I must say I am loving Sandro and think he should be kept on for the remaining 2 games, but shame on anyone who bad mouths Parker. I have supported Spurs through years and years of Jenas and Nielsen and Freund and Davis and Carrick and Palacios and Tainio and many more who are so **** I can't even remember their names.
    You serious? You're just going to bury your head in the sand and not criticise players that perhaps deserve it? Admirable if you were the manager but otherwise I see no reason why we can't call him out if he's not playing well, is that not the point of the forum no?

You serious? You're just going to bury your head in the sand and not criticise players that perhaps deserve it? Admirable if you were the manager but otherwise I see no reason why we can't call him out if he's not playing well, is that not the point of the forum no?

I thought the forum was for supporters.

He has been one of the very best midfielders in the Premiership this season, possibly the best behind Yaya Toure (who has been very patchy since coming back from Africa, but still pretty awesome). I wish he could be man of the match in every single game just as much as anyone, but this isn't Championship Manager.

He has been one of the very best midfielders in the Premiership this season, possibly the best behind Yaya Toure (who has been very patchy since coming back from Africa, but still pretty awesome). I wish he could be man of the match in every single game just as much as anyone, but this isn't Championship Manager.
    It is for supporters, but I'd hope we can do more than just praise every thing Spurs related, perhaps actually have a few discussions on certain players, bringing up their negatives as well as their positives. Makes life that little bit more interesting, otherwise I may as well just tune in to Sky for their evaluations on Parker and co.

Possibly the best in the PL? Are you having a laugh? He wouldn't start at Newcastle or Arsenal, and he'd have trouble playing at City and United. Scholes has been better, as have Tioté, Cabaye and Song, Dempsey too if you count him as a CM. I'd even go as far as saying Modric has been better than him, he's certainly more influential & important to the team than Parker anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

is

I often wonder myself how long some people on here have supported Spurs ( not a personal attack on anyone by the way). Sometimes the criticism is way over the top, i know people are entitled to their opinions but sometimes the negativity puts me off this forum. We are as good as I have ever known at the moment and if you had offered me 4th at the start of the season I would have bitten your hand off. It is funny the Harry bashing has quietened down since we have won two games. COYS!!!!!

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I often wonder myself how long some people on here have supported Spurs ( not a personal attack on anyone by the way). Sometimes the criticism is way over the top, i know people are entitled to their opinions but sometimes the negativity puts me off this forum. We are as good as I have ever known at the moment and if you had offered me 4th at the start of the season I would have bitten your hand off. It is funny the Harry bashing has quietened down since we have won two games. COYS!!!!!

Yeah same here, do people just have short memories, or do they just prefer to give out than to support?

I mean I have my own standards. I will give out if a player isn't putting in the effort, a la Bentley or Boateng, and I'll give out if we buy players who simply aren't good enough to play for us, a la Rasiak or Bent. but apart from that, I support the team. How anyone can moan about Parker is beyond me. The man has almost literally sweated blood for us this season.

• Advertisement

It is for supporters, but I'd hope we can do more than just praise every thing Spurs related, perhaps actually have a few discussions on certain players, bringing up their negatives as well as their positives. Makes life that little bit more interesting, otherwise I may as well just tune in to Sky for their evaluations on Parker and co.

Possibly the best in the PL? Are you having a laugh? He wouldn't start at Newcastle or Arsenal, and he'd have trouble playing at City and United. Scholes has been better, as have Tioté, Cabaye and Song, Dempsey too if you count him as a CM. I'd even go as far as saying Modric has been better than him, he's certainly more influential & important to the team than Parker anyways.

I agree, 100% praise would be boring but seriously, the guy was player of the year last year and I think he has been better this year, which is why he got made England captain. I don't think it's laughable. Tiote and Cabaye have been great, but I'd put Parker up there with them. Dempsey is a great goalscorer, an average midfielder. Song is a nice passer, doesn't have the all round game of Parker in my opinion. Scholes, you read the papers too much, he has been a good calming presence for United, just what they needed. Thats all.

We still threw away a massive lead on the goons, I won't forget that part :D;)

Fair enough that is a fact, but if we win our final two games we will have more points than ever before in the premier league. I guess I always look at the positives more so than the negatives and take nothing for granted, years of supporting Spurs teaches you not to get too carried away :D;)

Fair enough that is a fact, but if we win our final two games we will have more points than ever before in the premier league. I guess I always look at the positives more so than the negatives and take nothing for granted, years of supporting Spurs teaches you not to get too carried away :D;)

But we have the best side we have ever had in the premier league :D we could be here all night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have never gotten carried away with our season but throwing away a 13 point lead is imo not acceptable while we played well in a lot of games during that period I really feel Harry was shown up tactically a several times.

I am still torn as to wether we should stick with Harry I worry we will never reach our full potential without some rotation and someone a bit better tactically.

If Ancelotti was our Manager I reckon we would have a lot more points...

I have never gotten carried away with our season but throwing away a 13 point lead is imo not acceptable while we played well in a lot of games during that period I really feel Harry was shown up tactically a several times.

I am still torn as to wether we should stick with Harry I worry we will never reach our full potential without some rotation and someone a bit better tactically

If Ancelotti was our Manager I reckon we would have a lot more points...

Ah come now, that is impossible to say. Would Ancellotti have gained as many points in the first half of the season, that is pure speculation and is undermining what Harry did actually achieve in the first half of the season.

Just as a matter of interest, what do you consider as our full potential? For me it is Champions league qualification i.e 3rd or 4th and at the moment we are in 4th place and a point off 3rd. I know we had a bad run but we also had an exceptional run between september and january, so I believe we are just about where I would expect us to be.

Just as a matter of interest, what do you consider as our full potential? For me it is Champions league qualification i.e 3rd or 4th and at the moment we are in 4th place and a point off 3rd. I know we had a bad run but we also had an exceptional run between september and january, so I believe we are just about where I would expect us to be.

I think we should be better off points wise than we are. Are Utd nearly 20 pts better than us, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Well, alot of opinions there.
    I think that your expectations must be realistic as a Spurs Supporter.
    This squad has not been seriously strengthened for 2 years and has returned ENIC a nice profit in the mean while and entertaining footie.
    Now, the team are on course again, thank God, for a 4th spot finish.
    Ok, we were 12pts clear of Arse but I remember UTD were 8pts clear of City!
    We were seriously robbed in a few games e.g Wastelands!
    That's football. We are definitely short a few players which, if Daniel, allows can be addressed in the summer.

At the end of the day, my uncle, a die hard Spurs man, says there are only a limited number of competitions to be won every year.
    Getting to next season's CL is one of them and hopefully we will make it.

I hope when the dust has settled on another "RollerCoaster" season we will be happy and realise Harry, Mgmt, Players, Levy and ENIC are doing their best to deliver a quality product with out putting Spurs in financial turmoil.
    In saying that, I do think that Modric lad is minding himself for the Euros.
    I don't believe his heart is in Spurs anymore.
    As for Parker. Top man but definitely getting knackered after a long season. I'm afraid at this level, you will be punished if you are not at your best. Rest him up for the Euros, Harrry and give THE BRAZILLIAN BEAST the gig for the rest of the season.
    We sold Carrick for £15m to Utd! What they wouldn't give for him :D
    Many good times ahead for us under Harry's tenner, I feel.

Yidos :D

• Advertisement

yidweiser wrote: »
    Well, alot of opinions there.
    I think that your expectations must be realistic as a Spurs Supporter.
    This squad has not been seriously strengthened for 2 years and has returned ENIC a nice profit in the mean while and entertaining footie.
    Now, the team are on course again, thank God, for a 4th spot finish.
    Ok, we were 12pts clear of Arse but I remember UTD were 8pts clear of City!
    We were seriously robbed in a few games e.g Wastelands!
    That's football. We are definitely short a few players which, if Daniel, allows can be addressed in the summer.

At the end of the day, my uncle, a die hard Spurs man, says there are only a limited number of competitions to be won every year.
    Getting to next season's CL is one of them and hopefully we will make it.

I hope when the dust has settled on another "RollerCoaster" season we will be happy and realise Harry, Mgmt, Players, Levy and ENIC are doing their best to deliver a quality product with out putting Spurs in financial turmoil.
    In saying that, I do think that Modric lad is minding himself for the Euros.
    I don't believe his heart is in Spurs anymore.
    As for Parker. Top man but definitely getting knackered after a long season. I'm afraid at this level, you will be punished if you are not at your best. Rest him up for the Euros, Harrry and give THE BRAZILLIAN BEAST the gig for the rest of the season.
    We sold Carrick for £15m to Utd! What they wouldn't give for him :D
    Many good times ahead for us under Harry's tenner, I feel.

Yidos :D

Well said Yidweiser, I find it funny that people seem to think we are entitled to Champions League or to challenge for the title and that, just because we went on a streak before Christmas, that is the way it should be forevermore. Our losing streak was an awful shame but 'Arry wasn't as good as they said he was before and he isn't as bad as they say he is now. He has his faults (tactically oversimple, can't stop talking to the media) but he has been a great influence on Spurs. He got all the players playing in a system that suits them, he built a fluid and confident team and made some great signings. I wish he was a tactical genius and knew when to keep his mouth shut, but if he was perfect he would probably have been given the Barca job, or at least the England job.

I don't know where to start with someone who says we would have more points if Ancelotti was manager. It's just a ridiculous statement. Maybe we would. Maybe we wouldn't. Personally, I doubt he would be interested in managing us. The grass is always greener.

It reminds me of when we had Martin Jol, a good manager who was well liked by the players, but not a tactical genius. We went and got Juande Ramos. His grass was not so green as it turned out.

Advertisement