Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sand and varnish timber floor.

• 02-05-2012 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I`ve got a softwood (deal) timber floor in my house that`s been there for 15 years and is looking pretty rough...scratches,looks dirty etc. I want to get it sanded and varnished (Diamond coat). I asked a local guy and he said it would cost €20 per m squared. The floor is 38 m squared so it`s gonna cost me €760 which seems expensive. My question is...is €20 per m expensive or about right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Hire a floor sander, about €50 per day + pads, it will only take a few hours work.
    I'd say €100 would cover the cost of the varnish, applying it with a small roller will speed things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Thanks for the reply aujopimur. I don`t really fancy doing it myself tbh...I tried it a few years ago in our last house and made a bit of a mess of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

€20 a metre sounds expensive to me.
    Especially if its one big floor.

Get two more quotes is your best bet and see what they say.

Thanks Robbie. He said he`d supply the Diamond coat and give it 2 coats so is it still expensive would you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Thanks for the reply aujopimur. I don`t really fancy doing it myself tbh...I tried it a few years ago in our last house and made a bit of a mess of it.
    If you hire a vibrating type of sander, you can be assured of a good finish as it's foolproof to use.

• Advertisement

Yea the more I think about it the more expensive it sounds.

I also would of taught if he's sanding it back to the bare floor boards
    3 coats would be required to do a very good job.
    Diamond coat is expensive but its not hundreds a tin or anything I think roughly its €80 a 5 litre tin.

Did he say how long it would take?

Im not a floor sander tho so I cant say 100% its just my opinion.

You could even ring a local guy and he'll give a rough price
    and how many coats of varnish he would recommend.

Is it one big floor or a few floors that make up to 38 sqm combined ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

To do this properly you'll need a drum sander.A vibrating sander wont cut it if it's as bad as you say,it will have to be sanded back to the bare wood all round.Three coats of varnish need to be applied with a buffing/screening between each coat for good adhesion.Diamond coat is currently 95 euro for 5 ltr and you'll use about 7.5 to 10 ltr doing 38 sm. As for price it depends on where you are i suppose.Down the country were charging about 15 a sm for the procedure described with everything supplied.I know it's dearer in the city though! Good luck.

Thanks guys...I`m gonna give it a go myself. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement