Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking over phone cable

• 02-05-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭

Heya,
    House I've moved into has RJ11 sockets in all the rooms - wondering would I be able to replace with RJ45 faceplates and get some networking running over the cabling that is there? Am assuming its single twisted pair cabling

any suggestions welcomed :) In meantime I'm using powerline adapters which in fairness are performing well, though obviously would prefer dedicated networking

cheers,
    lampsie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Unfortunately if is not as simple as replacing the faceplates. You would need to have CAT5/6 cable and not standard telephone cabling.

In theory if the phones where originally installed on CAT5/6 cables it would be possible to change the faceplates. You will need 4 pairs on the cable to network though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Even if Cat 5 was used they couldn't be used for data as the telephone points will be looped and data requires point to point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

FSL wrote: »
    Even if Cat 5 was used they couldn't be used for data as the telephone points will be looped and data requires point to point.

Not always, you do not have to loop telephone cables. You can wire individually to each point from your main incoming telephone point.
    Depends on who installed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Thanks guys - good news as it happens; got a faceplate off to get a look at whats in there, and happy to report after pulling up the string its cat5 in there at the moment, with the RJ11 just using a single twisted pair ;) I'd assumed it'd be just simple single twisted pair wire, and vaguely remembered reading somewhere that you might get half-duplex 10mbs over single twisted pair. I may well have dreamed that, hence the query :)

RE looping - good point, hadn't thought of that; had a look in the junction box, and thankfully looks like they all terminate up there with endpoints for each. So, just need to patch them down to somewhere sensible and should be all good

cheers again
    lampsie

Advertisement