Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA International Driving Permit - Worthwhile getting?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Does anyone know if this permit is of any advantage over a standard Irish license in developed countries like Canada and Australia? I get the impression that it served a purpose in the past but now is only of use in a limited number of countries (developing ones).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Its no advantage in Australia. Your Irish licence will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its as handy just to get a local drivers license in canada tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

its only valid for 90 days after arriving in the country as well....handy if youre going on a holiday and renting a car, not so handy if you are moving and wont have a car for a few months

retalivity wrote: »
    its only valid for 90 days as well....handy if youre going on a holiday and renting a car, not so handy if you are moving and wont have a car for a few months

you can get them valid for a year

my last one was... i never used it, but it was good for a year according to the documentation in it

yeah i worded that wrong.
    Its only valid for the first 90 days you are present in a country. After that, if a person wants to drive they must have a local valid license afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

With respect thats wrong how can such a standard be set worldwide.

Here in Victoria a local licence must be obtained 6 Months after your arrival on a PR visa or after PR is granted. Otherwise you can drive on your Irish licence.

i was sure i saw the 3 month thing with respect to canada when i went looking at that license. Now i cant seem to fiond any info on it.

Anyway, I couldnt get one now due to the residency requirements

i was sure i saw the 3 month thing with respect to canada when i went looking at that license. Now i cant seem to fiond any info on it.

yeah im pretty sure there's nothing like that there at all
    Anyway, I couldnt get one now due to the residency requirements

just get someone in ireland to post off the form for you and get it sent to their address and forwarded on to you - easy peasy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Helix wrote: »
    yeah im pretty sure there's nothing like that there at all

just get someone in ireland to post off the form for you and get it sent to their address and forwarded on to you - easy peasy;)

That's what we did - super easy and super cheap!
    Do you know if you can apply for another one for a year or once the first year is up that's it?

lindzation wrote: »
    That's what we did - super easy and super cheap!
    Do you know if you can apply for another one for a year or once the first year is up that's it?

i have one at the moment that's my second one, but there was a year gap between them, so im not sure on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Helix wrote: »
    i have one at the moment that's my second one, but there was a year gap between them, so im not sure on that

Are you talking about the international license permit here or an Irish one?

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Are you talking about the international license permit here or an Irish one?

international license

irish one is essentially worthless in canada (apart from letting you skip waiting times for your canadian license)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this permit is of any advantage over a standard Irish license in developed countries like Canada and Australia? I get the impression that it served a purpose in the past but now is only of use in a limited number of countries (developing ones).

I've been driving in countries all over the world, developed and really undeveloped and never ever had a problem with my Irish licence. I looked into the IDP before moving to Africa a few years ago as I thought it'd be the most risky and in the end decided not to bother and see how I got on and was fine. Waste of money in my opinion.

Advertisement