Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church gate collections

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭

Church gate collections are a traditional way of raising funds for all sorts of organisations.

Many churchgoers find them irritating or intimidating - i.e. they put something in the box just because they know one of the collectors, but would prefer if there were no collection at all.

If people really want to contribute to a particular organisation there are now numerous ways of doing so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Many churchgoers find them irritating or intimidating - i.e. they put something in the box just because they know one of the collectors, but would prefer if there were no collection at all.

Have you done a survey or something that you know that for a fact? They don't bother me in the slightest. Not sure what this subject has to do with Mayo either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I Love Lucey

Posted on Mayo Board because I live in Mayo and know it to be the centre of the universe..

Haven't done a formal survey but have been involved in organisations which hold such collections or were considereing holding such. Also have witnessed many such collections over the years.

Many church goers have told me that they would prefer if such did not take place.

Personally I think such collections should be dropped.

Interested in hearing views

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

nuac wrote: »
    I Love Lucey

Posted on Mayo Board because I live in Mayo and know it to be the centre of the universe..

Haven't done a formal survey but have been involved in organisations which hold such collections or were considereing holding such. Also have witnessed many such collections over the years.

Many church goers have told me that they would prefer if such did not take place.

Personally I think such collections should be dropped.

Interested in hearing views

I attend mass virtually every sunday, contribute to these collections, occasionally help with some, have never heard a single person say that they bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Church gate collections are a traditional way of raising funds for all sorts of organisations.

2qbsqs7.jpg

Has this anything to do with last Sunday's National Collection Day for Fianna Fail? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Church gate collections are a bloody nuisance IMHO. As for last Sunday's Feel & Fail collection, nobody turned up at the church I went to.:D

• Advertisement

I attend mass virtually every sunday, contribute to these collections, occasionally help with some, have never heard a single person say that they bother them.

It's not the type of activity that lends itself to making a complaint, outside the church. Plus Irish people are renowned for biting their lips and staying stummm.

So Harry were you representing the party?

Also, do you contribute to the FG church gate collection?

Me, every euro's a prisoner and blankly refuse to contribute to any political party church gate collection. ;)

finisklin wrote: »
    It's not the type of activity that lends itself to making a complaint, outside the church. Plus Irish people are renowned for biting their lips and staying stummm.

So Harry were you representing the party?

Also, do you contribute to the FG church gate collection?

Me, every euro's a prisoner and blankly refuse to contribute to any political party church gate collection. ;)

People feel free to complain to me about everything else so I am sure if they had issue with church gate collections they would have mentioned it at some stage.

Yes, I represented the party and I actually do contribute substantially to the FG Church Gate as well. I also contribute to other worthy Church gate collections, last time I checked most Church Gates are not for Political parties.

Interesting poster, Finiskilin.

Guess it is some tiime since a de Valera signed receipt came for a shilling.

I think that al least political parties should vacate the churchgates.

I think that church gate collections are like those new fangled, trendy bars, especially evident during the celtic tiger years, in Dublin, that are so cosmoplitan with the helper in the jacks with the soap, sprays and towels etc that after you do your business you feel obligated to give him a euro.

That silent, unspoken pressure especially when your in there on your own to drop him a euro.:o

Is this an Irish trait where we don't complain?

Yes, I represented the party and I actually do contribute substantially to the FG Church Gate as well.

Interesting Question..... would DC contribute to the FG church gate collection or would Inda, MM, Ringer etc contribute to a FF, SF Labour church gate collection? Perhaps the answer to this may indicate if Civil War politics is dead :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I spotted the Fianna fail gate collection on the holy communion day and had to laugh. Wonder how much Pee donated on his way in. That days attention should have been on the kids and not on the circus of a collection outside regardless of party. No political party should be allowed do that outside a church. Charities and community based organisations yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i dont attend mass anymore
    but i would agree
    it's like a tax on mass

M cebee wrote: »
    i dont attend mass anymore
    but i would agree
    it's like a tax on mass

As its totally voluntary I don't see how

finisklin wrote: »
    Interesting Question..... would DC contribute to the FG church gate collection or would Inda, MM, Ringer etc contribute to a FF, SF Labour church gate collection? Perhaps the answer to this may indicate if Civil War politics is dead :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4 contributors on the day are very active FG members, Civil War politics exists mostly in the media because it uses up space in papers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I find they can be a bit of a pain sometimes, as was posted earlier its a tax on massgoers. I never give on the way in just in case theres the dreaded double collection inside.

Perhaps the various charities/organisations that do the church gate collection should have an envelope system as well, it may make the process a little more discreet! :D

As its totally voluntary I don't see how

My point Harry P is that a contribution is not entirely voluntary.

Many people find it difficult to pass a table where they know the collectors.

Certainly in my parish everybody knows eachother and you wouldn't be able to pass without giving a few euros. I remember one year not so long ago our parish priest read out a list of people after his sermon who hadn't put money in the Christmas envelope!!

GF I recall the reading out lists of subscribers to church collection abut 50 years ago

Shocking practice - did not realise it was still going on.

Only happened the once but there was uproar! Imo the collections both inside and outside should be stopped and private donations should be made in your own time and at your own free will. We are both luckily working and able to donate but I feel terrible for those that really cannot afford to give anything and feel that they have to out of Irish typical 'pride'.

• Advertisement

Certainly in my parish everybody knows eachother and you wouldn't be able to pass without giving a few euros. I remember one year not so long ago our parish priest read out a list of people after his sermon who hadn't put money in the Christmas envelope!!

Everybody in my parish knows everyone, if someone passes me by when I am doing any collection for any organisation I frankly couldn't care less, and people do pass, a lot more than you would imagine. And do so for the worthiest of causes, thats why its a free country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

some people will feel obliged to pay at a local church gate

some won't

my experience was you always paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

they should put those collections outside betting shops for people who really have money to waste.

If people really want to contribute to a particular organisation there are now numerous ways of doing so.

Mention on RMW that t hey are covering this topic later this morning

should we run a poll on it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 donalgeraghty

I have no problem with church gates.

The issue i have is fundraising on main street in castlebar. One day there was a fella oitside the 2€ shop with a table collecting for one charity based in dublin and another accross the way at aib collecting for a different charity.

Why cant there be just one charity allowed to collect each day ?

Think its the gardai that issue permits

I see FG had their one on Sunday. A long morning for MM as she did 9.30, 11 and 12.30pm masses. I didn't pass her exit and would have liked her to clarify her position on fornication, the apt location of the cathedral would have helped clarify her thoughts! ;)

I still think political parties should not hold church gate collections.

while it is an old tradition they now have many ways of ( legitimately ) collecting money.

In Westport the pol parties were asked not to put up election posters as Westport likes to keep winning Tidy Town awards.

Perhaps a similar appeal to branches of political parties might work?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

In Westport the pol parties were asked not to put up election posters as Westport likes to keep winning Tidy Town awards.
    I could be wrong, but I think that's actually a town bye-law - in other words, it's actually illegal to put up an election poster in the town.

May be bye-law now but it started off via public opinion expressed thru the Tidy Towns committee - a strong committee with a good record of success. Some members out each Sunday morning picking up litter.

Either way town is free of election posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Just to say, that although they are called Church gate collections, they actually have nothing to do with the Parish!
    Permits are granted by the local Garda super.

Advertisement