Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Speaker Post

• 02-05-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭

I have a pair of Mission M73 speakers for a good few years now and recently had to move them as I was painting the room.

Anyway,when moving the speakers I accidentally snapped one of the speaker binding posts. I have the speakers connected with banana plugs and didnt disconnect them first when moving the speakers.:rolleyes:

I`m wondering is it possible to replace the binding posts yourself? I had a quick look this morning before leaving for work and I think they may be moulded in to the speaker rather than screwed in.

Could I still use the speaker as it is for the time being? The post snapped at the weakest point, where the hole is near the base for the spaker wire to go in to.
    There is a stub left where it snapped so was considering removing the speaker cable from the banana plug and trying to wrap it around what is left of the binding post. I`m not sure if this is possible or even safe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Should be able to replace the binding posts no problem, they are just bolted through.
    You can still use them, just ensure a good firm contact with the cable.
    PM me if you want replacements, I should have something similar in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

earpiece wrote: »
    Should be able to replace the binding posts no problem, they are just bolted through.
    You can still use them, just ensure a good firm contact with the cable.
    PM me if you want replacements, I should have something similar in stock.

Thanks for the reply. The post is broken where the hole would normally be for the speaker wire so there is just a stub left there. Do you think it would be possible to take the banana plug off, which wont sit in anymore, and wrap the wire around what is left, if that makes sense?

Also, would I need to go through the front of the speaker to reach the bolt for the binding post or just try and twist it from the back? Also would there be any soldering involved?

Another idea which occured to me is to switch the wire to the negative terminals on the speaker. Dont even know if this is possible? The speaker has positive and negative connections for both red and black.

I`m going to have a good luck at it tonight and may drop you a PM.

Thanks again for the help.:)

adox wrote: »

Another idea which occured to me is to switch the wire to the negative terminals on the speaker. Dont even know if this is possible? The speaker has positive and negative connections for both red and black.

What I meant to say here is, the speakers can be biwired and so have two red and two black terminals on each speaker,one for HF and one for LF.

Now I dont have them biwired and so as only one binding post snapped - the HF post on the red terminal which the speaker was connected too, could I just connect the banana plug in to the LF post on the red terminal. There are jumper bars between the terminals so does it really matter if the speaker cable goes into the HF or LF post?

This would be an instant fix for me if it works.

Heres an image of the back of the speaker to try and better explain(not my speaker)

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336c0bdb2131156ad31ec343bf0b2a32516.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

adox wrote: »
    What I meant to say here is, the speakers can be biwired and so have two red and two black terminals on each speaker,one for HF and one for LF.

Now I dont have them biwired and so as only one binding post snapped - the HF post on the red terminal which the speaker was connected too, could I just connect the banana plug in to the LF post on the red terminal. There are jumper bars between the terminals so does it really matter if the speaker cable goes into the HF or LF post?

This would be an instant fix for me if it works.

Heres an image of the back of the speaker to try and better explain(not my speaker)

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336c0bdb2131156ad31ec343bf0b2a32516.jpg

If the metal plate has good contact with the second terminal then your away.... but would think it probably doesn't as your previous description mentioned.
    Up side is it's an easy fix as you can remove the whole back panel and pop in new binding post....

earpiece wrote: »
    If the metal plate has good contact with the second terminal then your away.... but would think it probably doesn't as your previous description mentioned.
    Up side is it's an easy fix as you can remove the whole back panel and pop in new binding post....

It should have fairly decent contact. There is still a round stump of a binding so it will get contact on all sides. Nothing on top to contact or hold it in place but gravity should keep it in place when the speaker is upright.

I might take the back off to have a peak as I would like to replace the binding post. My only concern is if there will be any welding involved in wiring the the post before securing.

Thanks for your help btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

There will be some soldering on the crossover but enough give to pop it back and investigate without much problem

Advertisement