Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling an Honda X11 Immaculate on Italian plates, info on VRT

• 02-05-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi Guys,

I imported a couple of months ago my Honda X11, year 2000, mint, with 15.000 km from Italy, with Italian plates. Actually the weather is terrible at the moment so is unused in the shad... I would like to sell the bike here but it's on Italian plates... I know that the VRT for this bike is 140 euros so very cheap and I would like to change the plates and re register the bike in Irealnd.

The only problem is that in order to have the Irish book I also need to tax it ( probably 100 euros for 1 year) and in order to tax it I have to insure it!!!!

Do you think is possbile to manage the property change with just the papaer that they release after paying the VRT? ( I mean the paper with your registration number and so on.... ?? )

What would be the best solution?:confused:

I attach a picture in case somebody is interested ... :)

Thanks everyone

Alberto

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes you can change ownership without a registration cert. It involves writing to shannon with the details and the new owner will receive an RF100 for taxing the bike. Afaik there isnt an official form for this purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Nice bike! How much you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I assume that you owned the bike in Italy, and have the Italian ownership papers.

If that is the case, then you can insure the bike now.
    Then make an appointment with the NCT. Check their website, I think it is ncts.ie
    All the details of what you will need on the day are listed on their web site.
    The day after you have paid the VRT, you will be able to pay the tax online, on the revenue web site.

Then you need to ring your insurance company and ask them to change the reg details of the bike to the Irish reg.

Then after about ten days, the Irish ownership papers will be posted to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Lippok

Hi Guys,

thanks for the info.

In fact I just want to sell the bike here, with Irish reg. at the moment I have an Italian insurance cover. I just would like to change the plates so I can sell it directly as an Irish one, but I don't want to change my insurance cover and pay the motortax as I'm selling it. . I'd say the Oryx solution is the best for me. @ Faith+1 I was thinking 3.500 € VRT paid, I'd say is a fair price.

p.s.

Why the NCT showld get involved? I never heard about NCT for motorbikes in Ireland...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

NCT centres now handle vehicle registrations. You have to book it in there to get it on Irish plates.

• Advertisement

I didn't know, last time I went to furry park in Santry... but I was younger. I imported a bike from the north.... ah... time moves on so fast.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need to VRT the bike first, this will give you the Registration document.
    You can legally sell the bike then and there with no insurance and no tax.
    Once this is done your Italian Tax and Insurance are no longer valid.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You need to VRT the bike first, this will give you the Registration document.
    You can legally sell the bike then and there with no insurance and no tax.
    Once this is done your Italian Tax and Insurance are no longer valid.

You will not get the registration documents until you pay the tax.
    It is only €82 for the year, and you could add that to the asking price, as it will be taxed for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

P.C. wrote: »
    It is only €82 for the year, and you could add that to the asking price, as it will be taxed for a year.
    How does that work?
    I brought a bike in before and didn't have to pay any tax straight off
    Once the VRT is paid Shannon send you the rego docs.
    Its nothing to do with the local motor tax office.

well honestly maybe it was a case, you will receive the book after tax it. but since like Oryx said you don't need the book to sell it it's fine to me. to tax it is cheap but to tax it ,it needs to be insured and I don't want to!!!

Oryx solution would work fine I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

If the bike was yours in Italy, and you imported it to Ireland, is VRT payable at all?

Can't you import your own vehicle provided you've owned it for a certain length of time (12 mths I think, though can't recall for sure) and re-reg it without paying VRT if you can prove that you and the vehicle were in the original country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

P.C. wrote: »

thats not how i did it

From the NCT web site - http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html
    10. When do I receive my Vehicle Registration Certificate?
    The vehicle registration certificate, issued by the Department of Transport, will be posted to you after you have paid motor tax to your local authority.

That is how I did it about 7 weeks ago.

@gipi, yes, I should not pay the VRT since the bike was mine in Italy, but I should in case I want to sell the bike within an year from the new registration.

Advertisement