Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoner/Doom/Psych/Sludge

Options
  • 02-05-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,

first time posting after a bit lurking.

I wanted to ask what's the level of interest regarding the above genres in Ireland.

I'll try to organize a monthly gig in Dublin with the best of the Irish scene for the aforementioned genres, and would love to have few bands from the European scene come over for few shows.

After contacting a couple of booking agency they always ask what's the interest like on the island.

I went to the White Hills concert and Orange Goblin and I saw a good turnout, also Sleep and Russian Circles have already dates booked and Colour Haze will probably do an Irish date this fall.

So just checking with you guys if there is any interest for the following bands:

Colour Haze
    The Machine
    Electric Moon
    Samsara Blues Experiment
    Graveyard
    Witchcraft
    Monkey 3
    Ufommamut
    Lonely Kamel

There is a booming underground scene in Europe especially Germany/Holland/Scandinavia supported by blogs like Soda Shop, Heavy Planet, The Obelisk. Full of Facebook groups regarding doom/stoner.

I think that this is the best forum to ask feedback and suggestion.

The goal is to expose a bit more the Irish scene and to have possibly an Irish band in the next Roadburn/Desert Fest edition.

Lots of good Irish bands like Brigantia,Weed Priest,Engines of Ruin,Baleful Creed,Triggerman to name few.

Thanks

Matt

Comments

That White Hills gig was f*cking amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilgannon

Brilliant idea man, the scenes picked up a bit with the likes on conan, slomatics, zom and that playing but I would give my left nut to see colour haze and Uffomammut. The scene in dublin is not as good as it is in belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nice documentary about the history of stoner rock here:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I love it and if anyone would like to form such a band.....pm me

To be honest, I never really listened to much stoner/doom/sludge before a year ago. Being a fan of 70s blues rock and metal, I had a snobbish attitude towards slower tempo heavy music and considered them to be formed by musicians who weren't good enough to play fast metal, without actually listening to any of their stuff.

A work colleague asked me to fill in for a sick bassist in his stoner band and through them, got introduced to Sleep, Nebula, Witchcraft, Kyuss, etc and since then I have been hooked. Even from playing the music alone, slowing down the tempo and setting a groove is just so much damn fun. Plus, concentrating less on playing fast technical parts means I have to put effort into making the slow riffs sound interesting.

This was one of the first songs to make me think "holy crap, this slow stuff is rather cool":

If you have an hour to spare, listen to this:

• Advertisement

Sleep - dopesmoker is a masterpiece

and i do not say that lightly!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smuckie

There would definitely be interest in almost all of those bands listed, particularly Witchcraft and maybe Electric Moon.

Post the same thing in Metal Ireland, you'll get a much better response there!

Smuckie wrote: »
    There would definitely be interest in almost all of those bands listed, particularly Witchcraft and maybe Electric Moon.

Post the same thing in Metal Ireland, you'll get a much better response there!
    or would you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smuckie

Don't be a baby :p

I wouldn't tell you to do it if I thought you'd be eaten alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

This is my kind of rock/metal :)

Boris have covered a lot of musical styles and somehow do it effortlessly. Amplifier Worship would always be my favourite album by them though.

Their latest album Atra Mors is probably my favourite metal album of the year so far. The atmosphere that they get on the album is intense.

The thread wouldn't be complete without some Electric Wizard would it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

An unsigned Polish band that I found by accident have been played on my ipod a lot recently:

/puts on hipster glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭MotherFuzzers

Hi guys,

sorry I did not check the post for quite long, nice to see a good bunch of you interested.

OM are playing on the 27th september in twisted pepper don't miss it is bound to be massive.

Also Conan and Slomatics are bound to hit Dublin on October 12th The Pint.

Dublin got organized slowly slowly we are putting together few gigs Stoner/Doom/ Heavy Psych here are few that we organize:

The Pint 13th October: Trecker (Germany) , Astralnaut (NI), Electric Taurus (Dublin), Celestial Burn (Dublin)

The Pint 3rd November : The Nameless Dwell (UK), Triggerman (NI), Blood REd Water (IT), Electric Taurus (Dublin)

Fibber Magees 4th October : Half Shot (Dublin), Electric Taurus (Dublin), The Boy in The Attic (Wexford), Hounds (Dublin)

Fibber Magees November 1st: Blood REd Water (IT), Electric Taurus (Dublin), Chocolate Love Factory (NI), Weeping Ulcer (Dublin)

Fibber Magees December 6th: Astralnaut (NI), No Mans Land (Limerick), Weed Priest (Galway) Celestial Burn (Dublin)

Support the Irish underground scene even with a simple Like and share on FB

Thanks

Matt

The Mother Fuzzers Ball

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mother-Fuzzers-Ball/261012723982340

Hi guys,

sorry I did not check the post for quite long, nice to see a good bunch of you interested.

OM are playing on the 27th september in twisted pepper don't miss it is bound to be massive.

Also Conan and Slomatics are bound to hit Dublin on October 12th The Pint.

Dublin got organized slowly slowly we are putting together few gigs Stoner/Doom/ Heavy Psych here are few that we organize:

The Pint 13th October: Trecker (Germany) , Astralnaut (NI), Electric Taurus (Dublin), Celestial Burn (Dublin)

The Pint 3rd November : The Nameless Dwell (UK), Triggerman (NI), Blood REd Water (IT), Electric Taurus (Dublin)

Fibber Magees 4th October : Half Shot (Dublin), Electric Taurus (Dublin), The Boy in The Attic (Wexford), Hounds (Dublin)

Fibber Magees November 1st: Blood REd Water (IT), Electric Taurus (Dublin), Chocolate Love Factory (NI), Weeping Ulcer (Dublin)

Fibber Magees December 6th: Astralnaut (NI), No Mans Land (Limerick), Weed Priest (Galway) Celestial Burn (Dublin)

Support the Irish underground scene even with a simple Like and share on FB

Thanks

Matt

The Mother Fuzzers Ball

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mother-Fuzzers-Ball/261012723982340
    looking forward to om

edit:
    and those pint gigs!!

Advertisement