Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get QUALITY takeaway sushi in Dublin??

Options
  • 02-05-2012 11:35am

Hi all,

I'm a big sushi fan, and i know there have been a slew of takeaway sushi joints opening in Dublin over the last few years, but for good quality, freshly prepared sushi from a trained chef, Dublin seems poorly served.

Can anybody recommend any good quality restaurants with takeaway sushi options, particularly any in North Dublin, or any that are accessible without having to drive into the city centre?

So far in Dublin, the cream of the crop for me have been:
    • Michie Sushi, Chelmsford Lane, Renelagh (hands down the best sushi in Dublin, takeaway and delivery options, not too pricey, but quite far from me)
    • Yamamoori Sushi, Hapenny Bridge (good quality sushi but sit-in only and expensive)
    • Yo Thai Mount Merrion (nice, but expensive and not easy to reach for me)

I've eaten sushi in many different cities, and Dublin seems limited in terms of both the quality AND quantity on offer, ESPECIALLY to takeaway. Any hidden gems people know of would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Sushi King for the win.

Sushi King for the win.

I don't think so. Sushi king, YO! Sushi, Tesco Sushi, Maxol garage "sitting in a plastic tray for 3 days" sushi, are not what I'd call quality. Those guys are the McDonalds/Burger Kings of sushi.

Sushi king is probably at the upper end of that market, they are not bad, but their food is already cut, sitting in a tray in a fridge for hours before you eat it. I'm looking for freshly cut sushi, made by a trained chef who's job is to make sushi, and only sushi.

Anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mitsuba on Parnell St is good, but sit in only. I used to order from Yami Thai in D8, but they've changed their sushi in the last few months and it's not as good now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Feck that..get down to the fishmongers then get some wasabi and ginger,a bottle of soy sauce and make your own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nothing comes even close to Michie Sushi. It's by far the best I've had in Ireland.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Yamamori sushi on the quays is quite nice but my favourite for takeaway is Mitsuba or Musashi. Both do takeout.

My boyfriend did this course and makes lovely fresh sushi now for me :cool:

http://www.cooksacademy.com/course.php?intCategoryID=35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Nothing comes even close to Michie Sushi. It's by far the best I've had in Ireland.

Second this. It really is fantastic. It is down a small laneway in Ranelagh, and can be difficult find. But well worth finding. Different league of quality compared to the conveyor belt places.

Yes, agreed. It's by far and away the best I've had in Ireland, and stands up very well against anything I've had anywhere, full stop. Michel, the owner told me he was trained by a Japanese sushi master for several years who would crack him across the knuckles with the back of his knife every time he made a mistake, lol.

If you like sushi you really have to try it, it's superb.

Thanks to those who recommended Mitsuba and Musashi. I'll definitely put them on the list to check out.
    irishbird wrote: »

I love to cook, and am good at it, but making sushi is not for me. I have made it before, but it's expensive to get the right ingredients for, time consuming to do properly from scratch, and nowhere near as nice as getting a trained sushi chef to make it for you with fresh sushi-grade fish and the right ingredients.

My fillet steak could go toe to toe with that of any chef in the country, but i think I'll leave the raw fish to the pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

As far as I know that course is run by the woman who owns Sushi King, my wife did it and thought she was great. I suppose a lot depends when you get your take away from some places. I think you'd have to have a good relationship with a good fishmonger to get sushi quality fish for making at home, and you end up with an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I can't believe Kokoro hasn't been brought up... easily the best sushi in Dublin and crazy (good crazy) selection for takeaway: http://kokorosushibento.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

For those of you advocating making your own, where do you get sashimi grade fresh fish in Dublin?

YumCha wrote: »
    I can't believe Kokoro hasn't been brought up... easily the best sushi in Dublin

Not a chance. Kokoro isn't even in the same class as something like Michie sushi or yamamoori. It would struggle to compete with sushi king for most "middle of the road" sushi. The one and only time I ate from there I got small pieces of California roll and tiny, dried up nigiri that were far from fresh and seriously lacking in flavour.

I'd suggest you try a few more sushi restaurants before making sweeping claims like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

was in Musashi last Friday. Really really good. The sashimi was excellent.

I like Michie Sushi too but I think Musashi is probably better value and has a better selection. Definitely two great options on either side of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Go to the Sushi King on Dawson St., especially in the evenings. I've been there before after the ready-made stuff is gone and the chef made up whatever I wanted. He also let me try something else that he was making for himself. :D Nice guy!

Not a chance. Kokoro isn't even in the same class as something like Michie sushi or yamamoori. It would struggle to compete with sushi king for most "middle of the road" sushi. The one and only time I ate from there I got small pieces of California roll and tiny, dried up nigiri that were far from fresh and seriously lacking in flavour.

I'd suggest you try a few more sushi restaurants before making sweeping claims like that.

Um no need to be nasty....didn't realise I had to qualify my opinion by listing all the sushi restaurants I'd ever eaten in (fyi Sushi Dai in the Tsukiji Fish Market ftw).

I'd definitely give Kokoro another go - sushi on the whole is unfortunately not great here compared to other countries/cities, but I still stand by Kokoro being my favourite in Dublin.

Um no need to be nasty....

My apologies, I didn't intend to sound facetious. I was just expressing my strong disagreement with your point of view. Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine.
    sushi on the whole is unfortunately not great here compared to other countries/cities, but I still stand by Kokoro being my favourite in Dublin.

I'll try it again if you give Michie sushi a go. Maybe I visited them on a bad day for the chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I love Kokoro but I havent been in there in about 2 years.

I think I had Michie once, is there one in Ranelagh - if it was I wasnt gone on it.

Tried to make my own ... it was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Musashi in Capel St. I had sushi there last month and it was amazing.

• Advertisement

My apologies, I didn't intend to sound facetious. I was just expressing my strong disagreement with your point of view. Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine.

Apology accepted :)
    I'll try it again if you give Michie sushi a go. Maybe I visited them on a bad day for the chef.

I used to get delivery from Michie Sushi all the time - quality started out great, but then the cutting of the rolls got a bit sloppy (definitely not adhering to the 1 bite per piece 'rule') and quite recently I got horrible food poisoning and haven't mustered up the courage to return :(

Another place I haven't been to in ages but that I remember the sushi being good is Hop House in Parnell st - I guess if I remembered wrong and the sushi sucks then at least they have awesome Korean food to fall back on!

I used to get delivery from Michie Sushi all the time - quality started out great, but then the cutting of the rolls got a bit sloppy (definitely not adhering to the 1 bite per piece 'rule') and quite recently I got horrible food poisoning...

Wow. I'm genuinely surprised at that. I'm pretty fastidious when it comes to food safety, I would be very picky about how my food is prepared, and I've been eating from there for several years and have only ever received the very highest standard of food. Are you sure it was their product that set you off?

Did you let them know? I have no connection with them whatsoever but i've spoken to Michel (the owner) several times while i was waiting for food and he seems like he's genuinely interested in selling quality sushi and building up as loyal a fan base for the restaurant as possible. I'm sure he would be as surprised as you were that something like that got past his staff and want to take measures against it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

CiaranC wrote: »
    For those of you advocating making your own, where do you get sashimi grade fresh fish in Dublin?

I used to buy sashimi-grade* Yellow-fin tuna**, salmon and Mackerel*** from Kish in Smithfield

Hard to find place, directions here; http://www.kishfish.ie/kishcontact.php

* Unless you live in Japan or possibly California you will never taste 'sashimi-grade' - as there are no official food standards and it is almost impossible to find Tuna that has been line-caught, spike killed (Iki Jime) and stored on ice.

If you are asking for fish for sashimi just tell the fishmonger you will be eating it raw and check that it has been frozen. Commercial fleets almost 100% flash-freeze tuna which also kills the parasites. Also be careful with fresh salmon as this is more likely to be farmed here and possibly 'fresh'.

Oddly enough the freshest fish has been frozen.

***Mackerel can be eaten raw when fresh caught (off the line) but can only eaten later rawish after a very quick curing process (Saba). Fancy recipe here or as I used to do, cure it by covering in salt in the fridge for 20 min, then rinse and cover in rice vinegar for an hour -use tweezers to remove the pin bones and slice thin onto sushi rice.

**Remember kids, buying Blue-fin tuna is bad, they are overfished.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Dord wrote: »
    Go to the Sushi King on Dawson St., especially in the evenings. I've been there before after the ready-made stuff is gone and the chef made up whatever I wanted. He also let me try something else that he was making for himself. :D Nice guy!
    +1, I've stopped by a few times in the evening, when they make up the sushi fresh it's really pretty good.

Yami Thai on Pleasants St D8 does really nice sushi too, and their 15pc combo is pretty good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

* Unless you live in Japan or possibly California you will never taste 'sashimi-grade' - as there are no official food standards and it is almost impossible to find Tuna that has been line-caught, spike killed (Iki Jime) and stored on ice.
    Thanks for that reply. When I lived in Queensland, Australia I worked in a small seafood shop which had its own local fisherman for supply, he brought in line caught/spear fished Yellow Fin several times a month. I gorged myself on it for months. Delicious. Now Tuna is ruined for me because Ill never get anything as good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭derkav

I don't think so. Sushi king, YO! Sushi, Tesco Sushi, Maxol garage "sitting in a plastic tray for 3 days" sushi, are not what I'd call quality. Those guys are the McDonalds/Burger Kings of sushi.

Sushi king is probably at the upper end of that market, they are not bad, but their food is already cut, sitting in a tray in a fridge for hours before you eat it. I'm looking for freshly cut sushi, made by a trained chef who's job is to make sushi, and only sushi.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Hey Mack,

Don't know if this has been suggested already but Michie sushi in Ranelagh are great the cheif michelle is a really nice guy and makes sure everything that goes out is top quality. I think they deliver.. Not sure though.

derkav wrote: »
    Hey Mack,

Don't know if this has been suggested already but Michie sushi....

It's come up many times already. It's my fave sushi joint in Dublin, and Michel IS a really nice bloke. :D

They do indeed deliver, to the local area.

Can anyone recommend anywhere good on the north side that doesn't involve a trip into the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sometimes you just won't get the same quality ethnic food as you will abroad.

Some of the raw ingredients are simply not here, they need to be shipped or flown here. They don't grow or live here. I know it's nice to come back from holiday and taste the food you loved, but sometimes the dishes are best prepared where they are from.

I always find it's best to utilise what we have here naturally on the island and get a twist of the authentic foreign food.

A version of Sushi with fresh Irish fish maybe... Jamaican goat curry with Wicklow lamb... etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Can anyone recommend anywhere good on the north side that doesn't involve a trip into the city centre?

I'd also be interested in a Northside Japanese take away - sadly I dont think one exists :(
    Any entrepeneurial sushi chefs out there???! :D

I have made my own sushi in the past though using smoked salmon and the sushi ingredients from tesco. It was delicious :)
    I dont really know enough about fish otherwise to use proper raw fish, so think I'll also leave that to the experts!

Advertisement