Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get QUALITY takeaway sushi in Dublin??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Can anyone recommend anywhere good on the north side that doesn't involve a trip into the city centre?

I don't know the name of it, but if you look up the chinese/Thai restaurant in Swords Manor, they also have a sushi menu. I've had it a few times and altho it seems fresh enough, it's nothing special. Give it a try yourself, it's worth that much!

My overall vote would go to Mitsuba on parnell street with the other place The Hop House not too far behind it. I'm not quite the connoisseur some of the posters above seem to be but each of these are good in my book. Mitsuba does orders for collection also.

My only gripes would be sometimes Mitsubas Temaki rolls have been chewy which is not only not nice, it's awkward! and The hop house, as like nearly all other sushi restaurants in Dublin is very over priced with Avacado rolls top of my hotlist for crazy prices around the capital.

Good to see there are more places popping up though, can't wait to check out OP's place in Ranelagh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

I'm not a sushi expert but I really like Zen Wei Ton on Prospect Road in Glasnevin (just up from the Porterhouse in Phibsoboro). Everything tastes really fresh and the miso soup is delicious too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

stevenmu wrote: »
    +1, I've stopped by a few times in the evening, when they make up the sushi fresh it's really pretty good.

Yami Thai on Pleasants St D8 does really nice sushi too, and their 15pc combo is pretty good value.

I agree that Sushi King on Dawson is good, but I disagree on Yami.
    They're a chinese jack of all trades place, they do Chinese, Thai, Jap, all very average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Nothing comes even close to Michie Sushi. It's by far the best I've had in Ireland.

100% agree with this. I order from them at least once a fortnight and it's great value, the delivery is quick and the stuff is consistently nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I agree that Sushi King on Dawson is good, but I disagree on Yami.
    They're a chinese jack of all trades place, they do Chinese, Thai, Jap, all very average

I've only had the sushi from there, so can't speak to the other stuff, but the times I've had it the sushi was very good.

From the menu the other stuff does seem like standard takeaway fare though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Can anyone recommend anywhere good on the north side that doesn't involve a trip into the city centre?

Had Sushi from LT Thai takeaway in Ashbourne yesterday and while it's not Michie sushi (what is), I thought it was really really tasty, being a Sunday we went for the safe options - tempura prawn rolls with tobiko and avocado rolls.. the menu was pretty nice too, was the first time I'd had sushi from there but it was recommended to me by a friend who would be a regular sushi eater..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭borabora

Musashi FTW. Super fresh, cheap and delicious. Service good too but it can get very busy. Also, BYOB- four euro corkage charge per bottle of wine and cans and spirits free! Great location for some lovely grub and on into town for a few drinks.

Haven't eaten in Michie yet but have heard good things, although my NY friend (fairly expert in sushi) said Mitsuba was better when we ate there. It was good...Musashi was better though!

I happened to be in both Musashi and Mitsuba a few days ago, so I was able to do a good comparison. I had a deal site voucher for Mitsuba, and decided to get a few extra pieces at Musashi.
    Well, there's a gulf between them, in every way.
    Atmosphere, quality of food, service, everything.

Mitsuba is a class apart. Nice and comfortable and nice decor and lighting. The freshest and nicest sushi I have had since I left Vancouver last year. The only thing that may count against it is it probably busy a lot. But then we can't hold that against them.

I was in Mitsuba a few months ago and remembered it being good. I think the standard has dropped off since then, sushi just wasn't great. Tuna sashimi wasn't very fresh, and they poured mayo over some of the rolls, which I didnt like. And the prices are about 2 quid more than Musashi for almost everything on the menu. I can understand that for a place in Ranelagh, but not Parnell St. Artifical crab sticks in the california rolls too, as opposed to the nice crab meat in Musashi. Smell of damp when we went in there too.

Mitsuba is a class apart.
    Sorry, meant to say Musashi is class apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KITTY Wu

Hi all,

I'm a big sushi fan, and i know there have been a slew of takeaway sushi joints opening in Dublin over the last few years, but for good quality, freshly prepared sushi from a trained chef, Dublin seems poorly served.

Can anybody recommend any good quality restaurants with takeaway sushi options, particularly any in North Dublin, or any that are accessible without having to drive into the city centre?

So far in Dublin, the cream of the crop for me have been:
    • Michie Sushi, Chelmsford Lane, Renelagh (hands down the best sushi in Dublin, takeaway and delivery options, not too pricey, but quite far from me)
    • Yamamoori Sushi, Hapenny Bridge (good quality sushi but sit-in only and expensive)
    • Yo Thai Mount Merrion (nice, but expensive and not easy to reach for me)

I've eaten sushi in many different cities, and Dublin seems limited in terms of both the quality AND quantity on offer, ESPECIALLY to takeaway. Any hidden gems people know of would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you try TANI Sushi yet? The Restaurant is in Tereunre. They do takeaway as well. I've had few times. The food were really fresh. Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Or Okayu on the North Strand..

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

How does the Michie sushi in Dun laoghaire compare to the original in Ranelagh has anyone tried??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Or Okayu on the North Strand..

I don't eat sushi at all, but friends of mine love the stuff from Okayu. They won't get theirs anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Tani Sushi Terenure is really really good.

I've gotten take away from there about 5 times this month :O

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

spurious wrote: »
    I don't eat sushi at all, but friends of mine love the stuff from Okayu. They won't get theirs anywhere else.

Yeah it's really lovely, it's the nicest I've tasted in a long time! i love that they deliver as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

+1 for Okayu. Great menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Another +1 for Okayu on the North Strand. Great selection of what I consider to be the best Sushi in Dublin. Very authentic menu including some their non sushi offerings. Great value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

And another +1 for Okayu. Very nice people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fm1988

Talking about good sushi, I would say yamamori and michie sushi are really good!
    Has anyone tried Banyi Japanese Dining in temple bar?

They should be amazing according to their rating on tripadvisor. I also went on their website and they have an extensive list of yummy dishes.

Would anyone recommend this reastaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

fm1988 wrote: »
    Talking about good sushi, I would say yamamori and michie sushi are really good!
    Has anyone tried Banyi Japanese Dining in temple bar?

They should be amazing according to their rating on tripadvisor. I also went on their website and they have an extensive list of yummy dishes.

Would anyone recommend this reastaurant?[/QUOTE]

If I was related to them, like you are, I probably would, but I'd do it a while after registering and not use my very first post to extol their virtues! :D

By the way, tried Okayu for the first time last week, sensational food, the miso soup is amazing, all round fantastic.

• Advertisement

I disagree on Tani. I think it's overpriced. Sushi is not great at all, california rolls were the worst I have seen in a while, 80% rice, tiny sliver of avocado, and a ****ty crabstick. Lot of their rolls had cooked fish too, instead of raw as it should be.
    Looks to be run by Chinese too
    Give me Musashi over these any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Seconded, its excellent and way more reasonable than that ripoff Michi in Ranelagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I disagree on Tani. I think it's overpriced. Sushi is not great at all, california rolls were the worst I have seen in a while, 80% rice, tiny sliver of avocado, and a ****ty crabstick. Lot of their rolls had cooked fish too, instead of raw as it should be.
    Looks to be run by Chinese too
    Give me Musashi over these any day

I must give Musashi a try.

See the owners of Musashi have setup a place on Wexford St. now, Zakura.
    Unfortunately not as cheap as Musashi, I suppose they have to pay higher rent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

See the owners of Musashi have setup a place on Wexford St. now, Zakura.
    Unfortunately not as cheap as Musashi, I suppose they have to pay higher rent

I had the veg bento box in Musashi for lunch the other day - it was the best thing I've eaten in ages.
    There were two pieces of the nicest vegetarian sushi - it had tofu, asparagus, cucumber, avocado and cream cheese and it was unbelievable. So beautifully rolled also.
    I cannot wait to go back.

What's the story with Zakura - is it a proper sit-in restaurant? The website looks like it's just a takeaway: http://www.zakuradublin2.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Has anyone tried Sakura in Kimmage?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Zakura is a sit-In restaurant, I haven't been in yet though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chickus wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Sakura in Kimmage?
    Yep. Not amazing or anything, but great as a neighbourhood sushi place. Here's the €11.90 sushi/sahimi bento:
    BZDaeAkIgAAg8yW.jpg

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yep. Not amazing or anything, but great as a neighbourhood sushi place. Here's the €11.90 sushi/sahimi bento:
    BZDaeAkIgAAg8yW.jpg

Man, food looks really terrible in polythene containers, doesn't it? That sushi might be lovely, but the container makes it so unappetizing (to me, anyway).

Michie Sushi presents their delivered sushi in a much better way, in a little black plastic tray with a see-through lid.

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    Zakura is a sit-In restaurant, I haven't been in yet though.

I went to Zakura last Friday - it was lively, welcoming and pleasingly informal.
    All I ate was lovely - vegetarians, take note: the tofu and wakame salad was of unparalleled deliciousness.

I will be back, often.

Advertisement