Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation Good Gun Seller Please

Options
  • 02-05-2012 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi,

I am hoping to buy a side loading air rifle for target shooting for my 16 year old son. It does not have to be a gas type.

I have checked requirements and he can be licensed as a trainee because he is over 14 and must be supervised by a licence holder. I have a licenced weapon - an old airgun, also.

I just need to be able to purchase a second hand one from a reputable source with the least hassle and in compliance with all relevant laws/inspections etc.

All advice/info will taken on board. Thanks in anticipation!

I am based in the south east.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Any idea of a budget? Or what you'd like him to do with it (as in, what kind of target shooting were you thinking of?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Hi Sparks,

He shoots as part of a multi disciplinary competition based around horses. The shooting aspect takes place indoors maybe 30 feet from the target.

He will be practicing outdoors at varying distances.

The budget is as low as I can get away with given the times we are in!!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Minister wrote: »
    He shoots as part of a multi disciplinary competition based around horses. The shooting aspect takes place indoors maybe 30 feet from the target.
    Sounds like tetrathlon with the Pony Club?
    Most of them (well, most of them that are winning the matches) are using old FWB single-stroke pneumatic air rifles like the 600 series or springers like the 300 series (they haven't really transitioned to pre-compressed air, with only a few exceptions - or at least, they hadn't the last time I was coaching them). If you can find one second-hand, that's probably your cheapest option. Basicly, what you're looking for is an ISSF air rifle (the pony club use all of our kit and most of our rules; NTSA clubs have helped coach Pony Club clubs for years and we then try to gather their members when their competitive period with the Pony Club ends).

If you felt like splurging, you could get a second-hand precompressed rifle; it'd be a bit easier on him and would see him through more matches if he sticks with it; but you'll have the same problem with the second-hand precompressed as you'll have with the second-hand single stroke pneumatic - namely, finding any. There just isn't much of a second-hand market in Ireland for ISSF stuff (or indeed, for any firearm). Ask any dealer, we're just too small a market. You might have better luck looking online at sites like Frankonia and getting something there and importing it (and your local dealer should help you with the import if you need it, for a nominal fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Not sure if this helps but both Patrick Carley of ballymurn Wexford and John lambert camolin Wexford both do air rifles.
    Patrick Carley has a website just google the name.
    Hope this helps.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Hi,

I am hoping to buy a side loading air rifle for target shooting for my 16 year old son. It does not have to be a gas type.

I have checked requirements and he can be licensed as a trainee because he is over 14 and must be supervised by a licence holder. I have a licenced weapon - an old airgun, also.

I just need to be able to purchase a second hand one from a reputable source with the least hassle and in compliance with all relevant laws/inspections etc.

Many thanks.

He's not in the south east, but if there's an airgun of the type you're looking for going secondhand then Geoff Cooney in Wilkinstown would be a good guy to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hi,

Many thanks.

Just to point out, you said he is 16 so he can get the licence under his own name and practice on his own which will save you having to apply for the licence under your name(€80) and then paying another 40 euro for his training licence.
    You can get your own licence at 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Thanks for the info. I will work my way through the list. I did not know you could get a licence at 16. Thought it was 17.

Its great info above. Thanks again lads.

Advertisement