Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens if .....?

• 02-05-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

if you dont turn up for a leaving cert exam your scheduled to do,how does it appear on your statement of results? is it excluded from your statement of results? or what? please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

If you don't turn up, you automatically get a zero (unless there is some extremely special circumstance, then you might get permission to sit the exam). It'll still be there on your results, just with a NG or similar.

If it is Irish, English, Maths or your 3rd language, it means you'll more than likely lose the chance to get into most courses (and "fail" the LC).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

bscm wrote: »
    If you don't turn up, you automatically get a zero (unless there is some extremely special circumstance, then you might get permission to sit the exam). It'll still be there on your results, just with a NG or similar.

If it is Irish, English, Maths or your 3rd language, it means you'll more than likely lose the chance to get into most courses (and "fail" the LC).

"fail" the LC?
    Surely you're living in the 1960s??

There is no pass or fail riding on one particular subject anymore.
    You might not get into a University course but you won't fail.

"fail" the LC?
    Surely you're living in the 1960s??

There is no pass or fail riding on one particular subject anymore.
    You might not get into a University course but you won't fail.

"Passing" the LC is an arbitrary concept, I know that, hence the "fail". However a lot of people do count ability to gain entry to their desired course(s) as a "pass". I can remember last year people I know complaining that they didn't "pass the Leaving".

Lots of people view the LC as a passport to third level/further education. If they don't meet the requirements to their desired course, then they do view it as a "fail".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'm fairly sure that if you don't sit any part of the exam or submit any project etc, the subject will not be on your cert.

finality wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that if you don't sit any part of the exam or submit any project etc, the subject will not be on your cert.

Not in every case. My friend was down for OL Physics. Had never studied the subject and had taken it off the form. It's still on her results as NG, and she's still waiting on a replacement results cert. Another friend has NG in Spanish, which again she didn't study and took it off the form.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

"Passing" the LC is an arbitrary concept, I know that, hence the "fail". However a lot of people do count ability to gain entry to their desired course(s) as a "pass". I can remember last year people I know complaining that they didn't "pass the Leaving".

Lots of people view the LC as a passport to third level/further education. If they don't meet the requirements to their desired course, then they do view it as a "fail".

If you don't make Medicine you have failed in your stated goal
    But failed the Leaving ... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

If you fail maths you fail the entire leaving, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

In Soviet Russia they KILL YOU (Said in Russian Voice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

biohaiid wrote: »
    If you fail maths you fail the entire leaving, no?

No, there's no such thing as failing the Leaving Cert. You can still get into some courses after failing maths, and some colleges allow you to sit a maths entrance exam instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not in every case. My friend was down for OL Physics. Had never studied the subject and had taken it off the form. It's still on her results as NG, and she's still waiting on a replacement results cert. Another friend has NG in Spanish, which again she didn't study and took it off the form.
    There is something wrong there.
    If no partial component has been already registered with Athlone, such as a project or oral or practical, nothing should appear on the statement of results.

Are there experiments or a booklet in Physics that would have been submitted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

finality wrote: »

This.

There is also no such thing as 'failing' the Leaving.
    'LC standard of education' is generally taken as 5 passes or higher at any level, but there is no such thing as a failed LC.

spurious wrote: »
    This.

There is also no such thing as 'failing' the Leaving.
    'LC standard of education' is generally taken as 5 passes or higher at any level, but there is no such thing as a failed LC.

As I've said, it's an arbitrary concept and an opinion of most people. I never said it was fact.

As for the Physics, as far as I remember there wasn't any strict requirement regarding experiments. There isn't a booklet to be submitted in Physics, 100% of the mark is in the exam. The principal went mad at the SEC because she wasn't the only student in the school to have a messed up results form.

Advertisement