Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unburnt powder in mod

Options
  • 02-05-2012 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I cleaned out my rimfire mod last night and left all the stuff in a little heap on the bench. Today, I looked at it and said that looks like gun powder, so I lit it with a lighter and it burned like you see powder burning in videos on YouTube.
    So my question is do I have an actual propellant on my hands, and if so am I breaking the law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I understood that there was always a tiny amount of unburnt powder released out the end of the barrel with every shot from a smallbore (and I do mean tiny, and not every time, and it's random how much came out). If that understanding is correct, then technically speaking, yes, and you've highlighted yet another gap between the law and reality :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Unless William Petersen & CSI arrive to forensically examine your mod I think you might be worrying a bit too much Declan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Thanks for clearing that up. It wasn't a tiny amount though, after about 70 or 80 rounds there was enough to fill a .243 case

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

declan1980 wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up. It wasn't a tiny amount though, after about 70 or 80 rounds there was enough to fill a .243 case

It's not all powder though, some is just soot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd say Conor is right, the bulk of the stuff that tipped out of your mod is simply powdery carbon or burnt powder deposits if you want it in a fancy wrapper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement